School me on classic West Coast synthesis/Buchla albums

4 Likes

Recent fantasy of mine :
Manipulate the Buchla(s) and following Suzanne Ciani’s teaching.

1 Like

She always looks and sounds overjoyed with doing what she does.

1 Like

Oh, absolutely - that enthusiasm comes across in her music too. An amazing person

1 Like

this is sick i’ve not heard anything come out of the Volca Modular that sounds quite like this!

… time to dust off mine I suppose haha

1 Like

Are you in my pic?

1 Like

Ah - excellent!

I’m not but my partner is. I was like ‘hmm, not sure if I should go up or not’ and she was like ‘hold my beer’

5 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLztb757V1Zl_GqqNfS_T9LM0zYlDjd_ix

My first link said private, but above is a link to a great Buchla album by Jonathan Fitoussi and Clemens Hourriere.

check out Todd Barton’s music… he’s been at it forever… he was the music director at the theater in Ashland Oregon for like 30 years… and in between all that he made releases for various things… even worked with Ursula K Le Guin to design instruments for one of her books. his website is well maintained and he has a youtube page where he posts tutorials and experiments.

also check out Morton Subotnik. Silver Apples of the Moon, The Wild Bull. these are classic releases using buchla synths. they sound fantastic even today.

3 Likes

He did a session (no 6) for the Modulisme series of interviews / commissioned works, all of which are worth investigating and are available as pay what you wish at Bandcamp. Many of them might fall under the West Coast rubric, though many of the participants aren’t fond of that description. Almost all of them express a desire for a Buchla system if they don’t have one already.

Disclosure

I’m not involved with Modulisme directly, but have been publishing a series of parallel interviews with some of the participants, including Todd, over the years.

1 Like

he played several shows at Modular8 when the retail space was open. they’re mostly archived on youtube.

3 Likes

This one Def needs a mention here…

Check out this album, I really enjoyed it a couple of years ago when I was searching for music made with Buchla Music Easel.

1 Like