School me on 70s-80s synths

Yes i got the Tal Sampler as well. Also the Juno 106 vst is pretty good for BOC.:slight_smile:

1 Like

yes it is👍 love the tal plugins. and since they are so simple I can perfectly control them from my komplete kontrol keyboard

1 Like

You’ve probably seen this I guess? I was surprised about the number of song samples.

3 Likes

Not BOC style at all, but I made a complete track this morning with the TAL Sampler. Only drums and vocals are not TAL. There are a lot great presets of roland, moog and other vintage synths and its filter sounds really lovely I think

So I only used it for synth sounds so far. Still have to try some acoustic sounds thorugh this thing

2 Likes

Great tunes. The BS2 is such a little powerhouse.

1 Like

Dirty-up the sound by recording to old VHS or DAT tape machines and then sample that in mono. Or use one of the recent boutique fx pedals that were inspired by that sound, or use a chain of plugins (bit crusher, wow & flutter, pitch shifter, filter, vinyl noise - iZoptope Vinyl is a good start, and it’s free).

Thank you.

I’m guessing this is probably an SH-101?

I wonder if this is as well?

Thanks to @kite_splash for posting about this in another thread! This is totally the sound I’m after. I’m wondering what hardware synth(s) are closest for the basic tone (I’m assuming effects will be needed as well).

Edit: I’m mostly thinking the pad and string sounds, like the first few patches demoed here. But yeah, the sound in my head is definitely the “intro logo” sound, which is funny that that’s a genre.

3 Likes

i see there’s a bunch of boc talk in this thread. for those wondering what equipment they used and general sound design talk of that nature there is a huuuuge thread over at gs

lots of good info

1 Like

Epic thread. Thanks.

After a lot of listening I’m thinking maybe the Korg Polysix is closet to the sound I am after. Unfortunately I don’t think this is one that Behringer is cloning. I wonder how similar a Prophet 6 is to the Polysix? Same ballpark, different sport altogether?

1 Like

Very different. I have the Prophet~6 now, and the Polysix was my first synth ever (too long ago to admit).
But the Polysix is awesome! Echigoya have one on their website. I don’t know if it has a midi mod.

Ps.
Polysix + Polysics

1 Like

Thanks for that. I figured it was probably it’s own thing. I’m in no rush to buy anything at the moment. I mainly needed to suss out what synths are behind the sounds I like. I’m sure Behringer will get around to it eventually, or maybe even Korg.

Other mono desktop modules to check out, Analogue Solutions Nyborg-12 (SEM vibe) and the DSI/Pioneer AS-1 (actually a Prophet~6 voice).

1 Like

From that PBS video, it sounds like you might need a tape deck or tape emulator if you’re after that imperfect, wobbly sound.
(But you prob know that, being into samplers.)

1 Like

Yeah. I’ve got quite a few Strymon effects as I’m also into guitars (Volante, Deco, Flint, and Iridium). You can do a lot with just those. The Deco and Volante are particularly good for that kind of stuff. I had a Möbius, which was good too, but I don’t really gel with the menus on the bigger Strymons.

The MS-101 I have has a nice analog wobble to it even without external effects, which I also hear in that Polysix video I posted as well.

Sampling can also add another layer of character as you mentioned.

That thing is gorgeous. I love the design. From the demos I’ve heard it may be a bit too aggressive for the sounds I’m after.

This video has some BoC techniques as well covers a decent vintage option

2 Likes

I really wish i could find a hardware similar enough but more stable (all respect to Arturia but less interested in VSTs for its raspy twang.) I’d love that sound in a modern Dave Smith synth!

1 Like

I’m at that stage again where I’m finding myself thinking about a synth again. It’s honestly a bit crazy since I have never bonded with any synth I’ve ever owned, but I like the idea of having one real one in the home studio, particularly something with a 70s vibe.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Korg MS-20 mini? The smaller size would be better for me. How does it stack up against the big one? Any major disadvantages.

I had been thinking of the Behringer 2600, but given my history with synths, I’m thinking something smaller and simpler might be better. I also like the sounds I hear out of the MS-20 without any patching. Like in this video.

3 Likes