Scenes with no interpolation?

I think so. The one I’m remembering is a freeze delay that repeats the whole patten past halfway and disengages when you slide it back.

1 Like

Maybe interpolation isn’t the correct term? Apologies if that’s the case.

I have no idea. Binary would be either or, gradient would mean gradual change between two points. Or not. I’ve had a few GT’s

1 Like

:joy: No worries. I guess what I’m asking then is how do I switch a parameter from a gradient to a binary scene change. And is it possible to do some parameters on a gradient while others in the same scene are binary?

Also, can I set where the binary jump happens or is it always at the halfway point.

It’s not possible to choose. I guess the freeze delay on the factory pattern works like that because (iirc, I don’t really use it) if delay send is 0 it will be active, otherwise no. And I guess the send is 1 by default and 0 on the Scene so when the fader reaches the midpoint it is interpreted to be 0 for this purpose.

Crossfader position is gradient between 0 and 127, but parameters can be binary. e.g. Amp XVOL is either on or off.

As above. on/off toggle.

3 Likes

Yeah that makes sense. So the crossfader doesn’t change any parameters? Just slides between two binary states?

Each parameter has a different number of states, i.e. values.

Playback Pitch has 120
Playback Start has 127
Amp XVol has 2

Crossfader has 128 values [*], that then need to be diluted down into parameter values.

Imagine that the crossfader goes from 0 to 11, and we have different target parameters.

Two values? When the crossfader is between 0 and 5, the target parameter is set to 0. When the crossfader is between 6 and 11, the target parameter is set to 1.

Below pretty picture may help with visualisation

4 Likes

Ah, okay. So parameters are either gradient or binary. So it seems like what I’m trying to achieve isn’t possible then.

I’ve got a track that I wanted the rate to slowly transition down to single digits, and then once the crossfader fully hit scene B (the 11 position in that chart) suddenly have the amp vol jump to zero as well.

I understand there are other ways to accomplish this but I was hoping I could automate it in one movement with the fader.

Thanks everyone for the input.

A parameter can be switched in the middle position : RATE.
It switches from normal to reverse with these settings :
RATE with TSTR mode, with TSTR = Off

With lfo designer you can set 2 values, and freeze 1 value with a SPEED 0 assigned to a scene.

5 Likes

It is with a midi processor. Pretty complex.

I assigned crossfader CC48 out to scene changes CCs, and realocated CC 0-127 values between scenes. 4 couple of scenes you can see at the beginning.

2 Likes

This is possible with Freeze delay, as @JSZ mentioned it is binary. You can cut volume reaching Scene B max (value 127).
Use that @tsutek trick :

Octatrack Tips & Tricks (OT Tips) - #97 by tsutek

You can cut or engage sound in any position of the crossfader, using an lfo designer to offset the position. It works, I just made a test.
Thanks for asking !
Found another trick.

4 Likes

This sounds like it might do the trick, actually. I’ll give it a shot. Thanks for the link.

scanners-slow-motion

2 Likes

Even better as you can choose the exact position where the sound is cut or engaged.
Crossfader Multi Mute ! :loopy:

I found a way to cut sound in the middle (between 32 and 96), but I’m struggling to find a way to set unmuted zones.

1 Like

A bit off topic but there must be more than 7 bits of resolution on the fader under the hood, otherwise you couldn’t control anything smoothly.

1 Like

There is something for sure, probably interpolations.

In my above video I divided the crossfader in 4 zones, and in each zone, 0-127 range, with increments of 4 instead of 1 : it was still smooth.

It seems smooth controlled by midi. Can be better internally for START values, I experienced it recently with wavetable samples I made

That’s a great idea. I need to remember to use the LFO designer more. I’m going to search the forum for more LFO designer tricks, I’m sure there are plenty things I’ve never thought of trying

2 Likes

If you want to get in to complex MIDI processing, what I’d do is experiment with Supercollider on a desktop (free) and once you have something you like, look at something you can easily port your SC code to, like a Norns, if you need standalone hardware.

Remapping MIDI CC data should be as simple as using the incoming CC to read through a table of 128 values that you can set to whatever you want, and sending CC to the output. It’s a handy thing to be able to do and I wish more MIDI gear had it built in. The only thing I know of that has onboard CC lookup tables like that is the Alesis Quadrasynth and QS variants, and those only have 8 or 16 values per table with only 4 tables per patch.

Look into a Blokas Midihub.