Scale per Track: Looking for a simple explanation

To be honest, I still have trouble understanding the parameters on the Scale per Track page. Mathematics is not my strength. :wink:

Sure, I’ve been using the settings since this option was available. But I have to think about it and try it out every time. Is there a more understandable explanation somewhere than the one in the manual?

It’s just somehow a multiplier of the speed at which the steps are playing relative to the normal speed of the track. For example, if your track is in 16/16 Scale x1, it will play 16 steps at the given tempo, but if you put the scale at 3/4, it will play 0.75*16 steps, so 12 steps during the same given time.

2 Likes

It depends a bit what you want, so my first question would be: do you want to use polymeters? For me that’s really important. Whilst I never use other options like having different tempo’s (I never set tracks to half or quarter speed, or to double speed which you could do for 32rds notes).

I don’t have DT anymore, but assuming the settings are the same between DT and ST: In my case, because I prefer polymeters (tracks with different step lengths), I use the following options:

• master length (“M.LEN”) set to INF & pattern change (“CH.LENGTH”) to 32 (aka it waits 2 bars until switching to another Pattern when you choose another pattern)
  • individual tracks for 4/4 drums: 16 steps, or 32 or 64 if I want more variation over different bars
  • individual tracks for melodic progressions: set to 32 or 64 steps to have 2 or 4 bars. If you want longer progressions, you can use conditional trigs, ór: set scale for that track to half tempo, which makes 8 bars from 64 steps.
  • then for polymetric tracks I set the amount of steps to 5, or 6, or 12, or 33, etc. Because my master length is set to INF instead of 64, these tracks won’t be reset every four bars but can loop their weird-amount steps infinitely until you change patterns.

Hope this maybe helped you?

6 Likes

Thank you all.

Nothing complicated here: I mostly just use 4/4 as time signature, mostly the usual stuff with 64 steps and 1/16 notes per step. However, I often use very slow chord progressions in my music. For this I use dividers (SCALE). I have understood this as well. When there was no Scale per Track at DT, I always did it that way:

Basically I can do everything I want to do at the moment. But I want to understand the scale page completely, because I think there are very interesting possibilities hidden behind it.

Here are two things I don’t really understand (even after reading the manual):

• What does the second number of the parameter LENGTH mean? The left number describes the number of steps in the pattern. The meaning of the right number according to the manual is “the maximum number of steps available in the pattern”. Sounds identical to me.

• In the pattern parameters, I only understand the meaning of M.LEN, but not of CH.LEN.

it just denotes how many pages the pattern spans across - 16 (1 page), 32 (2 pages), 48 (3 pages) and 64 (all 4 pages)

3 Likes

Change Length. Time before pattern change, in steps.

2 Likes

Thank you.

So that’s kind of like quantizing when you change the pattern. Now I got it. Is this parameter also relevant in song mode or only when you change patterns “live” e.g. while jamming?

Thanks. Now I also understand why this value cannot be set individually. So it is only for orientation.

1 Like

Useless imho.

I didn’t try it in song mode but why not.

Can be used live, and synced to other gear with program changes reception, but there can be issues with that, pattern change happening 1 cycle late. I can’t elaborate on that.

Just to avoid any confusion: If you want the pattern change to occur at the next bar (like a regular 16 step pattern would work), set CH.LEN to 16, if you want it to occur after four bars (like a regular 64 step pattern), set it to 64 and so on…

1 Like

The combination of step recording in jump mode and scale per track completely overwhelms my mathematical understanding :crazy_face:.

I can’t manage to step-record 4 two-bar chords over 8 bars in jump mode. I think I have now gone through all conceivable step lengths and dividers.

Can anyone help?

First approach:
Scale per track
64/64 with a 1/2 multiplier.
It gives you 8 bars, just that the resolution will be 8th notes instead of 16th, therefore one bar will actually be 2.

Another approach would be keeping the 64/64 steps with x1 ratio, but having every 2 bars 2 trigs at the beginning. Meaning trigs on step 1 and 2, 33 and 34, all of them with a length of 32, like so:
Trig 1: your first chord with a trig condition of 1/2.
Trig 2: micro-timing to the furthest left to align with trig 1, your 3rd chord, trig condition 2/2
Trig 33: your 2nd chord, trig condition 1/2
Trig 34: micro-timing to the furthest left to align with trig 33, your 4th chord, trig condition 2/2
That way, the first time you play the 4 bars it plays only the chords with 1/2 condition, the second time it plays the one with 2/2 conditions, and as they are micro-timed, they play as if they were on the same trigs.

Make sense?

1 Like

Thanks. That was my approach as well. My problem seems to be related with the LEN parameter (on TRIG page) in combination with step recording in jump mode.

With LEN = 16, the result is exactly what I expect. In this case the trigs are 1 bar long.

Following this logic, the steps should be 2 bars long as soon as I set LEN = 32. But in this case the measures after the first 2 bars are completely silent.

What is M.LEN set to? If it’s set to 16, the other pages won’t play. Set it to INF, and CH.LEN to a sensible amount (e.g. 16, 64, etc) and it should work.

edit: wait, I might have misunderstood. Try it anyway :slight_smile:

No, it doesn’t work :frowning:

When I step record first with LEN = 16 and then p-lock the LEN values to 32, everything is okay.

So my way of thinking seems to be correct. Maybe this is a bug in step recording jump mode?

Oh right, yep I did misunderstand. I didn’t realise you were talking about trig lengths; I thought the subject was still track lengths, nevermind!

According to Elektron support: Jump mode doesn’t appear to take the scale setting into account :frowning: