Saving structure Rytm mk2

OK, I see what you. mean Zac.

I guess I pictured it the other way around - that the active state is temporary and the saved state was the permanent copy that you could return to later.

Maybe it is better to think of it like you have it pictured.

That seems correct, actually. It’s just that nothing is made permanent (ie, a state you can return/reload to) until you execute a save sound/kit/project command. Except that the save/reload track or pattern commands work a bit different. These save a temporary snapshot of whatever the track or pattern looks like when it’s saved. It doesn’t change the “permanent” version saved with Save Project, but just allows you to return to some arbitrary state when experimenting with the track/pattern. That temporary saved state is lost when you switch patterns, turn off the machine, etc.

Whatever you’ve saved via Save Project is the master record, so to speak. What I don’t like about these machines is that once you’ve modified your pattern from your saved state, then you switch pattern and back again, there is no way to return to the saved state without reloading the project. This still throws me, even after years of use…

1 Like

What do you mean no way to go back to the saved state after modifying the pattern?

Just hit [NO] and [SCN] (Pattern).

That will reload the pattern without needing to reload the project.

There exists only one active pattern at a time.

1 Like

Only will reload to saved state if don’t leave the current pattern
If you change patterns then come back and want to reload it’s gone apparently

Oh OK, I didn’t realize there was only 1 active pattern.

I thought there was a separate save slot in addition to the pattern itself for all 128 patterns.

This makes a little more sense I suppose, but seems less useful since you can only use the SAVE PATTERN command while improvising on the active pattern and you lose that work after changing patterns (as you stated Dan)

1 Like

Right. You’ve got it. I wish there was a “reload from project” command, in addition to the temporary save/reload command. This actually exists on the Digi series, and I would love it on the Rytm. I’m surprised more people haven’t brought this up actually. Seems like a huge oversight on the Rytm.

Hi,

I know this question is super basic, but I’m new to this and really need your help.
I want to know how to organize a project for a live show, a 40 min show approx that I’ll play all from one project, using 6 different kits, and different patters on each kit of course.
I have trouble understanding how to load multiple kits to one project, switching between them, and writing specific patters for each kit (yes i’ve red the manual and searched for tutorials online)

I would really appreciate your help

tanks a lot,
Gavri

Serious question: Do you have an Analog Rytm or not? I’m asking in case you are just reading the manual and watching videos without have the machine in front of you.

Also have you used other drum machines before?

Yes I have one.
And no, this is the first time I’m using a drum machine.

Ok well head back up to the top of this thread, most of the info you need is already here, creating patterns is pretty straightforward, depending on your knowledge of rhythm, but if you are a complete beginner then there are lots of tutorials for drum machine patterns available online, such as this one:
http://808.pixll.de/
Or this one:

3 Likes

Hi all,
Trying to wrap my head around sound pools & project hierarchy. Want to build a new kit using sounds from a recently purchased soundpack within a new project. Have studies the manual, searched YouTube - now at a dead end… any pointers greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

Save project puts state of the project that’s in ram, into the plus drive for future loading. This is the only way to truely “save”

Samples from sample packs are pretty easy just load them into the device and you can add them to any projects sample pool.

Sounds are a slightly different beast. They should come in a sysex file in which case adding them via the sysex send receive menu you can specify what bank of the +drive you want to start saving to. Then you can load them onto tracks or sound pool in any project.

Think of the sound pool as the presets stored in ram for quick access per step. Sample pool is similar but for wav files. Track sounds become part of the kit so are also sort of in ram. Think of the +drive as like an external ssd you have plugged in that has all your projects and raw folders of samples you can load into the active project. The manual has a pretty good info graphic showing the relationship.