Saving Parts

Sorry for bumping this topic, my question is quite different from the original, but fits well with the topic title.

Anyway, here is my random OT question of the day :
What is the point of saving parts ? Only to use the “Reload” function ? Or is there any other reason ?

Parts are saved when project is saved, depending on what you are doing saving parts separately has some uses, for example if you tweak some parameters but did not want to keep them, then reloading the part (that you previously saved) will restore your part without undoing any other changes you since made to the project. I see saving parts as a way of allowing the autosave to take care of other project settings, whilst allowing parts to be saved separately if needed.

So in summary, if you are happy with how your project sounds save the parts, then you are free to tweak away, safe in the knowledge if you want to revert to the saved parts you can.

5 Likes

Noob here - I’ve read multiple comments where people say if want to save everything they save the project first, and then also save the parts.

So you are saying that is unnecessary?

That’s an error : in that case, if you reload the project, saved parts are not reloaded! :content:
So you should save parts first.

Anyway parts settings are stored with banks when you save the project. No need to save them. It is usefull only if you mess with parameters and want to reload settings in live conditions, but a project reload suffice.
It’s another store level I don’t use, but some people may prefer to do it. It’s not a bad thing, but it requires more time. Maybe depends on how you use OT.
Other caveat : you can accidentally reload a part and loose new settings.

You can also save banks, hence save all its parts, patterns.

I know what parameters I mess with. :pl:

4 Likes

Thanks. So, in short, the answer of my question is yes :grin:

Kind of, :laughing: you can save a single part independently though, so if you change a few different parts it can be handy to have the option.

Yes but no :joy:

God only knows what happens when you use parts of different machine types and your pattern has sample locks (well God, and maybe @sezare56 :smiley: ? )

3 Likes

Should be in patterns, like all plocks (except scenes).

Yeah but I’m thinking what happens if you have a part with flex and sample locks, but you change to a part with static? I never tried it.

I might see what happens next time I get a chance.

My guess would be it locks to the same slot number, but from the static slot list in this case.

Or maybe the sample lock turns into a normal trig… :thinking:

2 Likes

My guess too.
But what if locked sample is a recording? :pl:

1 Like

Hang on, how do you save banks? Is it faster than saving a project?

Also adding that parts allow you to change sample slots. So part 1 could be samples 1-8, then part 2 can be 9-16 etc. Great for techno cause you can have 4 sample sets in one bank giving you essentially 4 patterns per “song” with 4 of those songs in 1 bank.

1 Like

In the project menu. Theoretically faster.
Not sure how it can be usefull. Maybe if you have a corrupted bank in a project?

I recommend it for really paranoid people :
Save sample settings, parts, banks, project, and use SAVE AS NEW to be really sure.
Then use PURGE/COLLECT SAMPLES and upload the project to a cloud, copy it to several memory stuff. 10 CF cards should suffice.

Tons of explanations and exemples in the manual :

SAVE CURRENT BANK works like the save project command, but on a per bank basis. The command will save the settings and assignments of the currently active bank. RELOAD CURRENT BANK works like the reload project command, but on a per bank basis. The command will revert the currently active bank to the previously saved state

1 Like

Do you save them? :content:

Per track, in a bank, 4 sample slots with parts vs 128 with sample locks…:thinking:

For me it’s really problematic to change part in a song just for samples assignments : if you change parameters common to all parts, you have to set these parameters again on all parts, and save them again if you always save parts. Time consuming in the end.

I do save the parts.

Are you referring to having a long file and chopping it? I’ve never done it any other way, but would be happy to try it out.

I think if you save the part and change parameters then reload the part or go back it reverts to the save state which seems ideal cause you tweak then reload.

I did run into an issue when transitioning to the next bank where everything would be full “on”. I ended up having to sample the master out on a track recorder and crossfading into that while changing banks and setting levels etc then fading out the master loop. So if you have any recommendations I’m all ears.

No. Just saying I find advantages using sample locks rather than part changes, which can reveal some OT bugs.
Btw talking about sample locks and slices :
Octatrack 64 breakbeat x 16 slices megabreak of doom:

I tweak with the crossfader and Playback page parameters like rate, pitch, etc, I put back values to their position easily. So I don’t need to save / reload. Maybe I’d save parts of a live project, in order to reload them in a panic moment. WTF is stuck?

I don’t get what can be the issue with bank change. You can copy / paste parts, eventually copy / paste banks (in OT file manager or with a computer).

1 Like

So I quickly tested it. Changing from flex to static indeed does lock to the same slot number, if a recorder buffer is sample locked and I change to a part with a static machine, it locks to static slot 128. Recorders 1-8 all change to static slot 128.

4 Likes

Good guess.

Too late! :content:

So yes with sample locks slots numbers are kept with flex or static, except flex recordings 1-8 becoming assigned to static slot 128!

Track default setting is respectively kept by static and flex (track 1-8 have slots 1-8 assigned by default).

Ex : if you change T1 static slot (default is 1) to 9 and change to a Flex, the flex slot will remain slot 1 (default).

If you change that flex slot to 5 and change to static, static previous setting is kept (9).

4 Likes

…ha…the myst continues… :wink:

2 Likes