Saving CUE per Pattern/Part

Hi there,

I’m using the CUE output to send some tracks to a FX Pedal.
I was wondering if it’s possible to save the tracks cued per pattern or per part so that when I change the pattern (each pattern has its own part) the CUE tracks changes too.

I prepare my Live so, in some patterns, some tracks are sending and i other patterns, some tracks are not sending to the CUE.

I can’t find it in the Manual.
Could you save my life?

Thank you so much!
Regards

1 Like

CUE settings are saved per part.
4 parts and 16 patterns per bank.
Each pattern has an associated part.

So as you mentioned, you can set different patterns with different parts for easier changes changing patterns.

Parts changes are doable manually in live conditions, but not quantized. No midi implementation for that…

3 Likes

Thank you for your reply.
I’ve 4 patterns. Each patterns has a different Part (Pattern1 = Part 1 / Pattern 2 = Part 2…).

I’m afraid that If in the Pattern 1 (Part 1) the track 2,3,4,5 has enabled the CUE (Cue + Track), when I change to Pattern 2 (Part 2), track 2,3,4,5 has enabled the CUE, instead of only 4 and 5 which is how that pattern was when I made it.

So I think that CUE enables are only project related, isn’t it?

Look into normal and studio mode in the manual…
In both modes mutes are project wide. In normal mode cues are independently muted/umuted from mains… In studio mode muting mutes both cue and main at the same time…

For your application you can use studio mode and adjust the cue and main levels how you need them. Keep tracks unmuted and set the cue level all the way down and main level up for ones you want just on mains, cue level up and main level all the way down for tracks you want cued. These will be saved per part.

3 Likes

Thank you for your reply.

I’m asking this because I can’t use the Studio Mode since I’m using a MIDI controller to control the volumes of the tracks.

So I’ve a Macro of each track assigned to a fader that control CUE and VOL at the same time. If I use the Studio Mode, I can’t control which tracks goes to CUE and which tracks don’t.

I don’t use the MUTE TRACK since all the tail of the sounds gets cut.

I can’t think about it too much right now but yeah, if you cue a track in normal mode it will be cued on every pattern/part in the project. It’s the cue and main levels that are stored per part regardless of normal or studio mode…

Adjusting cue and main levels separately is available in both modes. The cue level of a track is just not displayed all the time in normal mode ([CUE]+[LEVEL]).

When it’s true that CUE level is stored in parts then that’s the way to go also in normal mode.

2 Likes

Yeah, I rock normal mode and use the cue levels, just suggested studio mode for the idea I was going for as the track lights wouldn’t be blinking all the time… :smiley:

1 Like

Controlling just amp page vol alone from your controller should cut the audio from both mains and cue.

Just set the appropriate cue and main levels for each part. If a track is to be cued set cue level where you need it and main level at 0, if a track shouldn’t be cued set cue level to 0 and main to where you need it. Use studio mode with all tracks unmuted or normal mode with all tracks unmuted and also cued. You can still use your controller targeting amp vol for volumes and muting and it will work regardless if the track is sent to main or cue.

1 Like

Thank you so much Mike.

I really tried this before, but since each sound and sample has a different level, I need to set and lock a volume for a live performance to respect the headroom and the proper levels for the mix, which is truly hard in a pa and monitors booth.
I’m using the amp page level to set the correct level of each track and then I use the main volume to fade in and fade down the track. Is there any other way to lock the levels? maybe in the sample edit page…

Thank you so much!!!

When you open the tracks sample in the audio editor [Track] + [Bank] you can apply gain in the sample attributes and you can use the ‘Selection + 3db’ / ‘Selection - 3db’ commands in Edit screen.
Remember to use ‘Save Sample Settings’ or ‘Save Sample Copy’.

1 Like

Thank you so much.
I’ve been testing this workflow. Do the save settings per sample (volume) only affect to the project? If I open a new project, the sample will have the original volume?

Another headache is that I usually trig lock the amp volume as a velocity control. In digitakt, there is a velocity, but here in the Octatrack, If I control the mix with the AMP VOL parameter, and I’ve some trig locks to that parameter, it won’t work isnt it?

Could you help me?

Thank you!

Sample attributes are linked to the sample, so it wouldn’t matter if you start a new project.

Keep in mind that for any changes to the gain parameter, they are only applied when the sample is retriggered.
So when you want to audition the sample to match the sample gain, you have to retrigger the sample in order to hear the changes.

You can also set loop mode, timestretch mode and other useful stuff in the attributes.
Loop and timestretch have to be set to ‘Auto’ in the playback setup page of your tracks, otherwise it will override the saved state.
This way you can still turn off loop even if the sample was saved with loop=on.

When you lock amp vol, it’s better to set levels with the tracks level parameter imho.
You could of course first set the right levels with amp volume and then use p-locks to introduce dynamics.
If you then have to pull the amp volume up or down to set new levels, you might want to change the p-locks also, because you changed the dynamic range.

For example; you set amp volume to 10 and lock some trigs to -20. Sounds nicely dynamic.
But then you have to lower amp volume to -10, because of other elements in the mix, the difference between amp volume -10 and p-locks at -20 is way less.

Another problem is, since OTs track levels are post track fx, amp volume is pre fx, you always cut off any fx trails when you mute a track on the OT.
Mapping a midi controller to amp volume, or holding [Function] while you turn amp volume down lets you mute a track without cutting off fx trails.
Can’t use p-locks on amp volume then of course…
One workaround would be to use scenes as mutes, because scenes override p-locks.
(Go to amp page, hold scene button until XVOL appears on the screen, assign XVOL Max to one scene and XVOL Min to another.
Now you set you mutes for each track that way.
You can have one scene that mutes all tracks except one or smt like that. Any combination you want ofc.
I tried that for a few months, but it was just too much hectic. I used the same scene muting system on all my projects, but still not easy to wrap my head around which scene does what in a jam session.

So you just have to decide which way you want to work…

I’m back at using track level again for gain staging…

2 Likes

CC51 controls track cue. It’s on a per-channel basis.

Here’s a suggestion.

I use a soft called Live Professor (another goodie from Sweden) primarily to handle all the midi configuration stuff using Cue-lists (bank/program changes, a huge mess when you have 10ths of midi hardware devices, all with different bank/program select midi implementation) . Cue lists are lists of actions of all sorts, and a cue list can be triggered by midi.

It’s set up so that when I hit a footswitch, the cue list is triggered, it cycles through the cues and all devices switch to whatever bank/program/sequence/pattern/cue status/mute status etc is needed for the song. A single button press executes dozens of actions (and no more "CC will only be sent if it’s different from the last time it was sent, but with the exception of a specific case that will need a workaround you can google up on the forum :wink: )

You can also use this to solve your problem: set up a cue list that sends CC51 messages to each of the OT audio channels to cue and uncue them. Then you set a trigless trig on a midi channel that sends a CC to Live Professor, mapped to the cuelist you want to trigger. Basically, you switch pattern, CC is sent, cuelist is triggered, cue-status is changed to what you want for that pattern. That could be a solution for you, at least it works for me.

FYI: LiveProfessor is a live-orientated Windows/OSX VST host with a tremendous amount of functionalities. I don’t use the VST part (I’ve more than enough hardware to keep me happy for ages!). Once configured, the laptop’s lid goes down and off we go. There’s a discount currently: 69€, well worth the expense for the cue list section alone. Disclaimer: I’m not affiliated at all with Audiostrom (https://audiostrom.com/) . I had been demoing it for a few months (there’s a 100 day full-feature trial) and ended up buying the licence.

1 Like