Save slice as sound

Hi, Is it possible to save a slice as a sound that I can then use?

Thanks

Chris

1 Like

two ways i think

resample

use the editor, truncate and save to new sample file

There is no direct method afaik.

Much easier.

Manual p.82

“When working inside the TRIM or SLICE pages though, the selected sample span will automatically be copied over to the EDIT page. Therefore, to apply operations to for example a slice, simply select the slice in the SLICE page and the open the EDIT page.
Press [FUNCTION] + [BANK] or [ENTER/YES] to open a window displaying the available edit com- mands.
SAVE SELECTION AS SAMPLE saves the audio inside the selection as a new sample. The format of the sample will be the same as that of the sample being edited. This operation is useful for saving cuts or slices from a loop as individual samples.

P.S. Seems like the only exception for this is that you have to be on Flex track.
Same menu for Static track does not give you any editing possibilities. (And this is kinda frustrating for instance when you work with large sample chains.)

5 Likes

I guess the whole RAM flex thing for slicing is a limitation but at this point we’re left with our workarounds and only option ie static vs flex. I wish we had more than 8 tracks lol

well yeah it’s a limitation or else you would run out of project RAM very quickly :grimacing:

large file? simply copy to a flex, do the business and remove it thus keeping the orig static in check

more tracks? 2nd OT is always good :grinning:

4 Likes

simply copy to a flex

what do you mean? is there any shortcut for the operation?
the only obvious way for me to do this is:

• create new flex machine
  • browse for the sample assigned to orig statiс, upload to flex list
  • find the slice, select it
  • save selection to sample
  • remove the flex machine

but this doesn’t look much like a “simple copy” operation for me :wink:

Maybe Fn+copy Static slot to avoid browsing but otherwise I don’t know functions like that.

:wink:

:heart_eyes: Succeed!! (Actually I’ve been thinking until now that copy/paste slot commands they are only work within either machine’s sample slot list… it’s not obvious from the manual)

3 Likes

Hey, I’m new to MK1 and I’ve just followed these instructions and I just went through the “save selection as sample” process w/ the slice I wanted to resample, but after that how do I find the sample I just saved. Where does it show up?

Hi, it is highly likely your saved sample will appear inside the Audio Pool folder, which is located in the root directory of your set (AUDIO is the folder you look for)

Oh sweet! I found it, thanks. Is there a way to set the location when saving a slice as a sample?

It’s a global setting. Either save to the audio pool or to the project folder.
Project menu -> System -> Personalize -> Save sample to

2 Likes

Is there any way to save all the sample slices as new samples without having to do them all individually. Such as save all slices to new samples … samplename01, samplename02…

Do you mean batch processing? No.

If you save sample settings then the slices are remembered any time you load that sample, regardless of which project or bank or pattern etc. Very useful.

In audio editor you can select an area, and save the selection as a seperate sample. Possibly not what you want.

Octa-edit or some other sample manager software thing designed for octatrack might have that ability?

1 Like

Take an existing sample, and split to separate samples? Yes, OctaEdit v2 does that.

3 Likes

I’m thinking more for taking sample chain slice grid and chopping them them into individual samples that I could potentially load into something else, like a tr-8s or MC-101 drum kit. Just thinking it would be nice to not have to do it 1 slice at a time.

So with OctaEdit V2, I could create the slice grid on the OT, then separate the slices into individual samples on the computer. Maybe not as convenient as doing it on the OT itself, but still super handy. I will watch for the final release. Thanks for all your hard work.