Save 'fx' settings with 'sound' patch

Is it possible? Spent a couple hours working on some big pads last night that I’d like option to audition/recall quickly across projects in future but unless I have it wrong, I’m unable to save fx settings? Outside of a kit. But there’s no global kit bank right?

FX settings are part of the kit. Nothing more to add.
I hear ya, there are times when a sound is intrinsically linked to the active fx settings, but that’s the way it is, if you think it through it makes sense for a sole fx send and the advantages outweigh the cons … but yeah, there are times you long for the sound to be stuck with the fx settings … in such cases you just have to make a kit and work around that

There are no FX settings saving functions or special kit buffers, just 128 equal kits :thup:

1 Like

It’s a shame, because fx is it’s own track. Surely it shouldn’t be too complicated to have another folder section for that tracks(keep in mind I don’t have a clue of what I’m talking about per it “not being too complicated”)

1 Like

copying FX between kits isn’t that tricky or time consuming to be fair
but I agree a way to save FX settings to pull into a kit like we do with sounds would be nice, also a way to pull in favourite CV settings would be ideal too

2 Likes

Damn, that’s what I thought…

A shame there’s no way to recall all ‘sound’ parameters on a patch. Maybe they could at least program it so the information was saved inside a patch and the current FX settings matched up when browsing/auditioning while you have the browse page open? The patch I did last night sounds totally different dry/without a ton of fx etc. If I browse it in a couple of months I’ll have totally forgotten how it can potentially sound :confused:

But if you think about it this makes no sense when you have four sounds loaded in a Kit, there can only be one FX version, why should a new sound change the settings for three others ? If you want it to you still have to save a kit around a sound … if fx is important you have to work in kits if you forget what works best with it

It’s a good system for a single FX send, it’ll never change and it makes perfect sense although we are all used to a different way of storing sounds individually … you have to bend :wink:

1 Like

Yeah I agree. I’m not on about changing the FX in a kit to accommodate the patch. I mean it would just be cool if while you’re browsing the patches included fx info while you’re auditioning sounds and momentarily altered the onboard fx. Or maybe they could at least have it so it did this only when browsing with an ‘initial’ kit loaded? So if you’re trying to find a sound you can just switch to an empty/new pattern/kit, then start from there? When I write it out it does sound like a lot of ballache/messy tho :wink:

It is if you factor in that three other voices are possibly using the very same FX whilst you audition … I totally get where you’re coming from but it’s an immovable concept … we need to bend to it … sadly you can’t browse and audition kits so simply :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, I’m with you :slight_smile: I agree, thats why I said it could be an option only when auditioning/browsing in NEW/EMPTY kits :wink: But like I said, sounds like a pretty messy/non-uniform feature to implement and I can’t think of any other way so it looks like it’s already as well thought out as possible.

1 Like

Both effect settings and polyphony settings have tremendous impact on the final sound, so why are they not saved with the patch?!? Or am I missing a setting in the AK/A4 or something?

This bugs me too. I can see why it’s the way it is but for users that want to build banks of patches to browse for use in a traditional ‘presets’ way it can be annoying.

1 Like

The FX on the A4/AK are send FX so surely there would be no point saving their settings with each patch.

1 Like

Depends if you are using OB or not as Total Recall could help here.

1 Like

A sound is still a sound. If for example you’re ‘playing’ the synth manually and recording in to a daw and just wanna browse for a killer sound it’s annoying that fx aren’t included in patches, if you have something that’s taken a while to program and is defined heavily by the FX, you aren’t always gonna remember that potential/settings if you’re browsing through and listening to it without its intended fx settings.

2 Likes

Yes, a sound is not only the basic patch, but a composite of the patch, the effects, polyphony and tempo settings. None of these are saved with the actual preset, making it almost impossible to recall the sound you’ve worked on. Total recall is a bit of a drag. It slows down saving and makes the computer lag in Logic. For all the things that are great with Elektron gear, there seems to be a few quirks which potentially a lot of people could benefit from having rectified…

Haven’t used ob/total recall yet, but I’m guessing total recall still wouldn’t help from a ‘browsing patches for a sound that fits’ kind of angle. Which is my main workflow hangup with the way things are atm. I know it makes sense in the grand scheme of things with the archetecture and sequencer etc. But an option for saving ALL of a patch’s parameters would be great, and then having the option to browse/audition/load with ‘all’ parameters (I guess only when using a new kit. But that would be easy enough/feasible.).

Edit - I guess something like global/cross project ‘kits’ memory banks could potentially do the job. Potentially messy for browsing tho, as a kit has 4 sounds.

1 Like

True, this is more of a sequencer box… I keep forgetting it’s not really a synthesizer per se. :wink:

1 Like

Haha. Yeah guess there are just some trade-offs that had to be made in order to focus the workflow the way it is. Its a small complaint for me personally. Something that maybe bugs me more often in theory than in practise.

1 Like

I hope they would make an AK without the Sequencer and the Kits and stuff but with 4 more voices, making a total of 8, more LFO’s and ENV’s. Maybe some more effects… I’d buy two of those in a heart beat!!!

1 Like

8 voices and more mod etc would be killer. But I dig the sequencer too much to wish it away :wink: I don’t always use the onboard sequencer but 90% of the time that I do I end up with basis of a new song fast. Kinda wish I’d got the A4 sometimes tho when Im using the onboard sequencer. That format feels more natural/Convenient/portable for groovebox/programming etc. Not sure how much of that is just psychological tho…