Sampling non-music material

Do people here have any insights on publishing music that includes sampled things like tv/film dialogue, or even audio books?

Do you get an insta DMCA takedown?

I assume it will depend on things like level of obscurity, age etc. But I don’t have any experience on this myself, so I’m interested in any insights or experiences on the topic. It would really suck to invest a lot of time to produce a track and to put it on the streaming services only to have it taken down because of a dialogue snippet or two…. :slight_smile:

there’s this thread with lots of info about it, not sure if there’s specific info on tv/film but worth taking a look, iirc the consensus is - depends how popular your music will be, if it’s not going to hit the top charts everywhere there’s nothing to worry about, otherwise you’d probably need to clear the sample.

2 Likes

Thanks!
Will definitely read it.

Hehe yeah it will be a small scale. But I know that there are bots taking down content on things like youtube, but I’m guessing that’s mainly for music…?

yeah I imagine distorted dialogue would be harder to pick up then a melody or a beat so I’m not sure if there’s even bots looking for it… especially older movies.

1 Like

A old friend used to sample movie dialog from the rear channels of 5.1 mixes because it often boosted interesting ambient content while cutting some of the main content found in the front channels.

This was long before YouTube, so I have no experience of whether this would help with your main concern, but who knows.

Anyway, sonically it was a fun technique and he put it to good use!

1 Like

Interesting technique! Have to try that some day :slight_smile: