Sampling from usb

Hav u added digitakt as audio output device in preferences ?

1 Like

no, there is my babyface connected. thought you could use overbridge side by side with your normal interface?

On Mac yes … meet aggregate devices
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT202000

hey everyone…
Im having some trouble recording samples via usb on my DT. Ive disabled Overbridge mode and have it set to Usb MIDI, and the input source on the recorder is set to USB, the Monitor is on and im not getting any signal. Not sure what im doing wrong.
Any help is appreciated.
Thnx!

Make sure one of your audio tracks is the active track (1-8) and that monitoring is on.

Also, I think you need overbridge on.

If a midi track is active (9-16) then monitoring does not work. That always trips me up :smile:

Are you on Windows?

Are you using the DT as a sound card?

Best regards,

Gino

thanks for the response…
I am on a Mac, current OS i believe.
Not sure if im using the DT as a sound card. I am a 40 year old who is fairly computer illiterate.
I have Abelton 10 Lite, received when i purchased my Keystep.
I am trying to pull vocal samples from movie clips off of Youtube for fun…
I have the monitoring ON, and an audio track is the active track, but nothing comes through the monitor…

I can’t say for the Mac, but I’m pretty sure on Windows you need to be sending audio to the DT to sample from USB.

In other words, if you can listen to YouTube from the headphones on your DT, then you can sample what you hear using USB.

Also if you have the right cable, sampling from your phone is quite easy.

4 Likes

That was it… i didn’t have the audio output set to DT.
Thank you @Gino!

I believe that is why “USB” is offered as an option from the dial menu in the RECORDER screen. Don’t be fooled, the A “knob” does nothing. You want G knob, which, when activated, will offer you (as sources from which to sample, not like an appetizer) the following: EXT(ERNAL) L & R, or mono per channel, INT(ERNAL) L&R or mono per channel, OR…and this is where…well-let’s hope they hear us in the cheap seats…USB L&R or MONO per channel I’m pretty sure you figured this out last year or the year before and the previous repliers have eaten their words, UNLESS, they too were unaware, that yeah, DIGITAKT not only transmits audio via USB, but ALSO RECEIVES AUDIO via USB, and it can “sample,” or for the purposes of any end-user-agreement missteps, “‘capture” SHORT(or long)** PARTS of that audio AT WILL.
:exploding_head::fist_right:t2::fist_left:t3::nerd_face::kissing_heart::sparkles::gloves:IF you don’t believe me, take the lawyer’s word for it: “…so sound playing digitally on your computer can be incorporated into the device as if you had bothered to hook up cables to your soundcard and then to the digitakt”

Now, here in the dystopian forum-future, we can only pray…that the discussion didn’t turn “too pedantic” for history’s appraisers.

Scrolled through this whole thread to find this lol

Hi guys,

I had trouble sending information from youtube to the Digitakt but I found the little problem that created some headache…
I am on Mac. DT plugged through USD.

When I tried recording form Youtube I received no signal even with all the necessary set up mentionned above.

The thing is my headphones were connected directly to my laptop, that hijacked somehow the DT to be set up as a soundcard.

Once I plugged my headphones directly to the DT information was flowing through the USD and now I can record what I listen to on Youtube.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Hi. Ive been trying to find this out but no luck. Is it possible to record audio into the digitakt directly from a DAW through the USB connection using Overbridge?
I would like to use it as a instant sampler, setting up a send to the Digitakt from any track I want, without using an audio output from my interface, as they are already taken.
Thanks!

Hello,

Sadly, I think it’s impossible. I also tried and can’t find a satisfying solution. The only way to sample from USB is to set DT as master soundcard in the DAW.

This work but you lost interest of OB plugin.

Also, another big issue with USB sampling is you can’t monitor Left or Right channel. To be able to sample from USB, you have to set your DT as soundcard and you will automatically hear any sound in stereo. I think summing L+R is meaningless and much prefer sampling Left OR Right to choose the best side and you can’t choose with stereo monitoring.

While they don’t fix theses 2 issues, I stick with analog out 3+4 -> DT input L+R and I’m able to send from DAW and monitor each channel separatly.

Hi all,

From time to time I would like to just quickly record a sample into my Digitakt. Without messing with a lot of cables, I wondered whether I can record ableton sound over USB into DIGITAKT. In Digitakt itself I will chop it etc. But I don’t want to use transfer etc.

Yes you can monitor and record via USB from Ableton Live

Thanks for response. Somehow my reply didn’t get through.

Good to understand that it works, that was my feeling as well.

But how do I set the audio settings in ableton and in Digitakt?
My idea was an audio track but then the audio to needs to go somewhere. And that’s something I don’t understand yet.

Perhaps you can fill me in thanks.

Searching for existing topics first is always recommended …

E.g.

2 Likes

Yes I actually read that post. Hence my question. As you can read in that post ( first post 2017 and last 2000- outdated) monitoring/usb. A conclusion back then seems it’s not possible. So I’m curious how the first responder got this going.

You can’t do it via the Overbridge plugin. You have to choose the Digitakt as the audio output in Ableton’s audio settings. Then choose USB input in the Digitakt’s sampler.

It works great!

1 Like

Yes I understand that part. It is easy to do. But I have limited OUTS available. Hence “reuse” of USB is beneficial to me. And it saves a lot of wires.