Sampling: Digitakt vs Analog Rytm mk2

What are there differences on the digital side so far? And are there limitations on the AR mk2 on the DSP part for future updates?

They have both:

• 8 voices
  • 64 MB sample memory
  • Delay and Reverb send FX
  • 1 GB +Drive storage
  • 48 kHz, 24-bit D/A and A/D converters
  • Coldfire DSP MCF54415CMJ250
  • 128 × 64 pixel OLED screen

Difference:

• The Digitakt use digital filtering/overdrive & master compressor.
  • The AR mk2 use analog filtering/overdrive & master compressor.

I don’t have experience with the Digitakt, but because the AR mk2 does not fully use the DSP what could we expect or wish more?

I find there to be more air in the digitakt DSP engine. The Rytm has a much warmer tone with more low mids. I have a MKi, but the circuitry is the same - just high res encoders on MKii. Each has it’s strong points.

The DT reverb is also slightly warmer and I would like something similar on the Rytm, but I’m not expecting it. The reverb is distinct from the other Elektron units I’ve used and I think that is intentional.

Makes me think the display difference between the AR mk1 & mk2 might also be a factor on future OS updates?

One seemingly small detail that makes a huge difference:

• AR: Sample Start + Sample End
  • DT: Sample Start + Sample Length

This means that on the DT you can LFO Sample Start and get some great granular like effects. Or you can plock just one parameter and move around a sample chain easily.

4 Likes

On AR you can assign both start and end to a performance macro (or Aftertouch/Pitch Bend/mod wheel/breath macros) fo roughly the same results.

1 Like