Sampling Analogue

Is it a waste of time trying to capture that analogue effect as it gets lost in the ether?

Digital is just a playback mechanism. Do you find listening to an analog synth on YouTube makes it not sound like an analog synth? Same thing applies here. But of course if you process it heavily on the OT it will impart digital sounding artifacts.

4 Likes

Fair point. I guess Analogue is best left at live only. How much detail is lost though when sampling A-B with no processing. ?

I think at 24bit/48kHz or above, no one normal can tell the difference. Maybe some things at lower CD quality rates have a tiny difference but it’s not going to destroy the signal at all imo.

4 Likes

Cheers

1 Like

Far bigger effect on how nice recording sounds is the quality of the Analog to Digital converters in your sampler or audio interface.

And of course in the later stage when you want to listen to recorded stuff Digital to Analog converters. Quality of these converters can make big difference.

1 Like

From my experience Analog Heat, Digitakt, Digitone have nice converters and operate in 24bits and 48khz. I record using them analog synths and in my opinion they can preserve most of the “analog spirit” in the recordings.

The stuff you like about analog happens at the sound generation stage, adding a transparent digital conversion like the OT isn’t going to make a difference. If that were true then you wouldn’t be able to enjoy analog synths recorded to anything but vinyl or tape, which is obviously not the case.

3 Likes