Samples or synthesis ? RYTM MKII vs DT/DN

I’ve got all three and would personally keep the ARmk2 rather than DT+DN if I had to choose. A few reasons for this:

• AR performance options are the best of any Elektron box for me. The perf pads (especially with quick perf knob on mk2) are a really great way to add variation to a pattern in a controlled way (ctrl-all is fun but a bit uncontrolled), and personally I like to set up all the things I might want to tweak in one place rather than jumping between tracks hunting the right parameter while playing. You can map a midi controller to them if you’d rather use knobs but actually using pads is really fun.

• Kits are pretty helpful in some scenarios, for example if you want to construct a more complex melodic or song structure which just can’t fit in a single pattern. On DT/DN you end up in an annoying situation where tweaking sounds on one pattern from a song makes it out of sync with the other patterns, so I end up constraining my music to what can be done in a single pattern. As long as you remember to load a new kit when you start a new pattern so you don’t mess up another pattern, there aren’t really any downsides to the kit system, only potential upsides.

• AR sampling sounds great. The analog filter and overdrive just make stuff sound really alive. DT sounds great too of course but you can really tell the difference. Being able to sample DT style over USB on mk2 means you can hook up an iPad with a single cable and have access to a whole world of sounds (also true on DT!).

• Personally I’ve learned I much prefer drum synthesis to samples in most cases, and the AR machines sound excellent.

• You can also get a lot of melodic range from the machines (including dual VCO, which is probably the best fat bass I’ve ever used!), although obviously you’re limited in terms of polyphony etc. Resampling on the mk2 helps as you can quickly sample chord stabs made across multiple tracks etc. It depends on your sound preference somewhat I guess, I find the AR is just perfect for techno and it’s so quick to get something sounding great.

• Programming the AR machines hits a sweet spot for me with the 8 knobs. DN is capable of a lot more range of course but I find it hard to get the sound that’s in my head as there are so many parameters and FM is less intuitive.

Really I think you could argue it either way depending on what kind of music you want to do etc. For me mainly making techno/electronic the AR edges it and it’s the most fun box I’ve ever used (and I’ve used all the Elektron stuff more or less). I’m also just really pleased with how great everything sounds out of the box without much work on my part!

4 Likes

From my experience with the AR and Digitakt the big difference is that the Rytm has an analog signal path with analog filters. Makes a hell of a difference for using samples and for helping the synthesis drums sound good.

Can’t help feel that Digitakt is quite dumbed down when it comes to features. Like the sequencer modes (direct start, sequencial, direct jump) parameter slides and the WAY better hardware input/output options to mention a few.

But then there’s this thing called making music, making music with notes and scales and having editing and transpose of melodic things. AR is a drum machine, that’s something that also the Digitakt “suffers” from. DN seems to have the transpose and scales and arps that my A4 had. That makes a hell of a difference in the long run as well.

2 Likes

Yeah, for mainly melodic stuff DN would be my choice. I’m not that much of a melody person aside from simple things so don’t miss it too much, but it is one of those things where you wish Elektron would share a few more features between boxes!

1 Like

I own both the DT and AR, and I have to agree with @tdmusic.

The AR to me is the perfect all in one beatmaking box out there in a way that doesnt compare with working in a daw. If you want all the necessary options, functions and polyphony, just fire up your daw of choice. If you want a great, organic sounding, limited but inspiring, experimental machine which leads you to make music and perform it in a different way, the AR is it.

The DT/DN combo will give you way more options (especially in the polyphony department), but it’s also more ‘tame’ in comparison to the AR. On top of that I feel like having 2 elektron sequencers is a bit overkill. I would choose AR+yamaha reface dx over the DT/DN combo, as it gives you keys, and allows you to play sampled melodic stuff through the AR’s analog signals path.

3 Likes

Thanks for all the tips guys, really helpful. :thup:

I got an AR MKII since a week and the shop will allow me to try the DT/DN combo also then send back what I don’t want.

So far, I’m really loving the beast.
The drum synthesis is awesome. I make music inspired by techno/breakbeat/ambient - Modeselektor style, so the analog sounding drums/filters/drive are really inspiring to me.
Also as you said, after building the foundations, the performances & scenes let me think about the evolution of my track which is :heat:.

I really like how the DN sounds tho. I always use atmospheric stuff in my music and I’d really like to craft them as I love to get lost in those sound design moments. And then get back to beat oonts oonts. :cool:
I might just sample melodic stuff from it and then play everything on AR with scenes & perfs functions. But do you guys think I would lose some audio quality or stereo things like chorus by using samples instead of the DN itself ?

4 Likes

This entire post saved me time: I couldn’t have put it more spot on. Killer machine.

2 Likes

Sampling is mono on both DT and AR. But you can recreate the width using their own effects (sample your DN dry in that scenario).

Or you can just use the ext in and sample in your daw with Overbridge, but that’s taking away the fun of working out of the box.

2 Likes

Short answer: yes, you definitely notice stereo effects sound flat when you record them mono. However you can usually make up for this somewhat with reverb and delay (which are stereo) and maybe pan LFO/locks. I find it usually seems like more of an issue than it is when you first hear the recorded sample… once it’s in the mix it’s less of a big deal.

1 Like

Awesome! Great choice. I’d suggest you spend some time mastering the AR and not worrying too much about what you are missing with the DN… and in the meantime maybe you can put a little money aside each month for the inevitable next box :joy:

1 Like

I’m used to the Elektron sample/sequencer as I used a Digitakt for a long time so I spent that time only working on synthesis.
I really like the versatility and depth or the drum engines, I also like the weirdness of the DVCO (especially the FM synths) but I think I lack the polyphony and the shaping/modulating functions that the Digitone would provide. :content:

1 Like

This is exactly what the MPC is for… when you want to catch everything in one unit, in stereo. Everything you own can end up living in an MPC. :partying_face:

1 Like

I have the same experience as this… I can happily use the AR on its own and create music I really like, but the approach is specific to the AR when it comes to melodic elements, and it tends to dictate the melodies to me.
Adding the DN into the mix hugely opens up the possibilities, and I really love how it sounds against the AR, and how it sounds against the A4 too.

This is my current set up I’m working with;

5 Likes

Drum synthesis on the AR Mk2 is dull to me

To each his tastes. :wink:

Alexa is doing the vocals?

:joy:
That’s a stopwatch/timer… I use it when I’m recording mixes/jams.

Ah, I See. Would have loved a “yes, I ask her something and have my vocals that way” tho :wink:

:bulb: actually not a bad idea…

I went from Digitakt / Digitone to ARII. I miss the Digitone sometimes but I was looking for a darker and more analog sound. I dont miss the Digitakt even though I think it is very good. I just think the ARII is better. I love the way you can mix the analog voices with the samples as well as using the analog filter, drive and compression. One of the things I noticed after switching is that it sounded more ‘right’ had a better stereo spread and just an overal deeper, darker and maybe more professional sound than the Digitakt. You pay for it but it is a hell of a machine and leaves me wanting nothing else in the drummachine department. Having said that, I don’t do techno or other hard hitting electronic styles, I like the softer and more esoteric (drum) sounds out of the ARIII and it does not replace the Digitone in any shape or form.

2 Likes

I have the Digitakt and am on the hunt for the Rytm. The Digitone or A4 is likely to complete the set. I don’t need the Rytm but life is short and you should surround yourself with beauty.

3 Likes