Samples or Cycles?

Interested in user experiences: I am looking for a groovebox, to pair with my Microfreak and Blackbox (also got the Neutron and a new Elmyra on the side). Leaning more to the Samples now, because the MF covers so much synth-ground already.

I really like my Blackbox, but I miss something with which I can quickly lay down beats and mangle them. The Blackbox can sample external things. I have previously owned an OT, DT, DN and A4, so I know what I get when buying an Elektron. My budget is tight, so 300 euro’s is kind of the max.

What would you guys recommend? I make all sorts of stuff, from soundscapes to straightforward techno.

get both if you can. you can always resell.

1 Like

The classic gearslutz answer!

2 Likes

:point_up_2:

I personally like cycles better. The thing is that cycles has a certain sound to it and you have to decide if that sound fits your music style. Samples can be loaded with whatever you want so it is probably more versatile.

1 Like

what can you sell

seriously tho, I have the cycles paired with MD, so I can only say that its an awsome little beast but that at some point ill likely add the Samples when I fill up the MD.

1 Like

You’ve got a blackbox so I’d say MC if having to choose. Though you may well start thinking about a MS as soon as you get going with the MC though!

1 Like

:smile:

Yeah, I am a bit hesitant, because of the extreme flexibility I already have with the MF (including basic FM). I am afraid the palette of the Cycles would not add much to what I already have.

I own a digitone and cycles. Both sound completely different. It’s more about if you want natural sounding drums or digital synth drums.

1 Like

For me the cycles sounds more different & unique compared to anything else Ive used, mainly because of its unique functionality
 but I guess that will also apply to the Samples.

Remarks I heard in some reviews about the C were things like: ‘It’s maybe a bit limited soundwise’ 
 ‘The machines make it a bit rigid’ etc.

Of course everything always comes down to the user, but would you say there is some truth to that remarks?

I personally think that is likely down to the user and how they are using / interpreting it. The initial perceived palette limitations push you to use the machine differently and then it starts to open up
 especially rhythmically. The control all functions / chance features also come into their own.

You might not be able to sculpt a sound exactly how you want to but I look at it as the sum of all parts.

I am tho intrigued still by the Samples, if I didn’t have the MD, I would have gone for it.

1 Like

I’d say you can’t really go wrong with either. They are both capable of delivering what you’re looking for, in slightly different ways. I wouldn’t say that the model:cycles is rigid or limited. Yes, there are 6 “machines” that are tailored to do specific things, but the parameter ranges are wide and useful. Creative use of LFO’s, p-locks and sound locks will really take you almost anywhere. I enjoyed the samples, but ultimately sold it when the cycles came out. I am thoroughly enjoying the Cycles right now, but they are both equally fun to use. So, yeah
 I guess it depends on whether you want another sample-playing device, or another synth. The age old question! I think, whichever way you go, you’re going to have fun, and it’ll make you want to try the other one out eventually!

1 Like

:sunglasses:

I feel less limited on the Samples.
I can import any sound, filter any sound, overcome the lack of attack with start point + filter LFO, reverse things, use single cycle samples.

All of those unique features are multiplied when you CTRL ALL them.

Everything I’ve made on Model Cycles sounds like it was made on Model Cycles. Very distinct.

Everything I’ve made on Model Samples is less distinctive with regard to what instrument was used, sounds like it could have been made on Digitakt, or an MPC, or Ableton. My “own sound” has better opportunity to shine through the tool.

6 Likes

I think it is hard to answer but given I have a digitakt I went for a cycles, and I’ve been having more fun with the cycles lately. Something about manipulating multiple machine types with control all leads to really cool places, haven’t really experienced another box like it. Samples is more versatile for sure but non sampling sample players just dont fit in my workflow.

Based on what you have, I’d go for the Cycles. You already have a sampler, and the Samples is all about playback. It doesn’t sample, so it’s a bit limited as far as that category of gear goes. Cycles is more for sound-design and FM. It’s got a really gnarly little sound, and honestly, if you like that sound you should totally go in that direction.

My best advice would be « Heads or Tails »

Which one is Heads is up to you.

Seriously. Listen to the « Model:Cycles only music » thread and make a choice.

Listening to the « Model:Samples only music » is a little irrelevant as you won’t have the same Samples as others.

I would go with the Samples. I love the Cycles, and I already miss mine, but it always sounds like the M:C. if that’s exactly your style, go for it. If you want more, go Samples.

I bought the Blackbox as Drumcomputer, and after I found out, that I really missed a good sampler, but I need it for other stuff than drums, I was thinking too. I went with the TR-8S, because I wanted more outputs and the faders instead of all the sound mangeling of the samples/DT, but A Sample Player can be everything you want, while a soundgenerator cannot.