Sampler with potentiometers

I love my DT
BUT
the best experiences I’ve had with electronic instruments, have been with instruments that have physical limits
Aka in most cases potentiometers as opposed to encoders.
I notice that having a fixed knob position that relates to a particular freq/texture/speed/etc opens up the tangible experience of the instrument to me.
I’m more easily able to learn how to express myself through physical interactions with the instrument.
Because of an encoders inherent nature— being disconnected , the midi value from the physical position of the knob—I cant create a physical, tangible connection to the instruments mechanics.

I so want a sampler with potentiometers

Any suggestions?
Do I need to get a degree and make this? :wink::rofl:

I love moog for this reason :man_shrugging:t2:

Side note

I am incredibly thankful and impressed by this online community’s ability to support, include, and encourage everyone to succeed. Everyone should be proud. ESPECIALLY THE MODS

Map a MIDI controller with pots on it.

3 Likes

Sp2400

Hold up. When you turn a knob ( any knob ) on any device be it synth sampler or otherwise, do you hear a change in the sound? If so, then there is a direct relationship between turning the knob, and the sound.

Which Moog do you have? Unless it is an old one, or one of the semi modular ones, those knobs are also encoders, sending and recieving midi data for patch recalling, midi interfacing and so on.

Digitakt has encoders, maybe you should get a digitakt.

Akai S612 has giant sliders for manipulating start and end points. You could also try a eurorack sampler like the Morphagene.

1 Like

Korg es1 and esx both use pots instead of encoders

2 Likes

Edited and fixed. I have a dt

Roland VP9000
Akai s612

what about model samples?

Model:Samples has encoders.

Probaply best to get a Electribe ESX or try eurorack samplers like the 4ms Stereo Triggered Sampler, Make Noise Morphagene, ALM Squid Salmpler, Rossum Assimil8or etc.

I owned an ESX for many years before swapping my whole hardware with Elektron devices… if you want easy to use, live performer oriented machines then you should think about Esx…on the other hand it lacks of memory capacity and deepness of sound tweaking possibilities… Digitakt have them all but you have to learn how menus work, where you get filters, amp, effects and so on…

Sorry but, All the samplers mentioned above have encoders.
Encoders and potentiometers do the same thing, (measure position) only difference is potentiometer is analogue, encoder is digital.

Endless rotary encoders are a slightly different thing, though still digital, and are possibly what the OP does not like.

1 Like

Gotharman sampler/synths

1 Like

make noise morphagene has limits for shure, but its fun to control and you will get a lot of happy accidents

and yes, no encoders

you will just need to add an analogue sequencer, at least two envelopes, two vcas and a stereo filter, put that in a single row skiff and you are good to go, and easy of something around 2000 Euros …

Korg Volca Sample has a knob for almost every editable parameter.

2 Likes

s950 useslinear potentiometers.

Almost 100% sure the VP9000 usespots not encoders.

100% sure the SP303 uses pots not encoders.

It’s actually pretty common to use pots for data entry, bearly every 80s synth I’ve worked on that has a data entry knob or fader uses pots.

Analog control of a voltage source that’s digitized and rounded to a fixed number of steps. Encoders are usually more accurate but pots tend to feel better to me (except the VP9000, those controls are always jittery and I’d really prefer if it had encoders).

1 Like

Doesn’t the ESX have potentiometers which are digitally scanned for the most parameters?

If I google for replacement parts, I find different potentiometers and a encoder.
Encoder is probaply for the value dial.

https://www.syntaur.com/korg_electribe.html

Eurorack samplers have potentiometers mostly, some also have endless rotary encoders for menu stuff and things like that.

1 Like