Sampler trick: how to create multi-length “tape loops” (shown on Digitakt/Model Samples)

Hi there!

This video explains a neat little sampler trick that lets you create music by ignoring a sampler’s sequencer:

Here’s some background: In the early 60’s groundbreaking composer Steve Reich pioneered the technique of using different length tape loops (and later musical patterns) in composition. The idea is that two short loops, either identical but one slightly shorter than the other, or completely different, drift in and out of phase to create textures, patterns and rhythms that weren’t there before. This tape loop technique is used by William Basinski to create wonderful sonic soundscapes, and in the lovely “Walkman Symphony” by AMULETS.

In this video I replicate the experience digitally by using a little trick which ignores the sequencer on modern day samplers, in order to create similar multi-length loop textures and patterns.

It turns out some samplers (like Elektron Digitakt and Model:Samples shown in this video) will let sample-loops play continuously, regardless of whether the sequencer is active or not. As long as you DON’T use the built-in sequencer to retrigger the samples, and you create different length loops, the samples will loop in and out of phase with each other and recreate the phasing tape loop experience quite nicely. In these particular samplers, all the effects and LFOs are still fully functional despite the sequencer not running, so you can use them while your loops are running.

20 Likes

Music for 18 Musicians is easily one of my favorite pieces. Great video! Thank you.

1 Like

You could even do this with the sequencer running:
put one trig in the sequencer for every loop and set the condition to “1st”: the loop will not retrig and you can incorporate a pattern with this loop-trick in a set with other paterns.

15 Likes

Yup, conditional trigs FTW!

Another approach to achieve the same effect, even with same length samples:

After pressing function+page you can press function+yes to enable different track lengths within a pattern.

Set two tracks to different lengths and place a trig on the first step for both (no condition this time). Load the two samples to these tracks, et voila!

I just love it that on elektron gear there’s often more than one way to do something!

2 Likes

Thanks for the video. As all your stuff, inspiring.

1 Like

Great stuff here! Makes me want to pickup a Digitakt. The Piano sampled track reminds me of Aphex Twin’s “aisatsana [102]”

2 Likes

Yes! I saw this video pop up in my home feed on YouTube and I’m excited to watch it when I don’t have to head off to work. In the meantime, I made a thread about this exact idea a couple months back:

Lots of good ideas in there. This was before I had an Octatrack, so I’ll have to revisit lol

4 Likes

Nice! No need to start the pattern at all - I actually checked this on Octatrack too but didn’t want to make the video too long… just start the sample and trim away

2 Likes

Love these videos - makes me want to drop everything and go make music. I particularly like everything that encourages noodling, repeating yet always different patterns, generative pattern etc. Thank you for the video!

1 Like

Here’s something I did that was inspired by loopop’s video (as well as the song “Tempest” by the band Low). Tracks 1&2 are the same piano loop with the second loop shortened a tiny bit and playing in reverse. Track 3 is another loop sliced and morphed into that rhythmic synth part. At that point I couldn’t resist using a vocal sample from one of favorite movies. The distortion element is what the Low song inspired. It also lends a bit of that degrading tape vibe (imo).

Hello cold_fashioned !

I am happy you showed this on the octatrack.
I wonder how do you set up T1 and T2 with the same loop on both, jsut shortened on T2.
Do you have to make a copy of the sample ?
It seems like when I shorten a sample on a track it autmatically shortens the sample on the other track.
Thanks!

1 Like

It depends completely how you shorten the sample. If you use the LEN setting of the flex machine you can re-use the same sample slot without interference.

When you are using the settings of the sample itself (accessible via the audio editor) you will need two sample slots (flex or static slots), because these settings are stored as properties of the slot.

3 Likes

Yeah - that covers it, thanks @tnussb. I don’t remember what I did when making this jam. Since I was a pretty new user, it’s entirely possible I did it incorrectly anyway! Good luck with your project.

Awesome yes, you’re right, I guess it’s much easier using the LEN setting of the flex machine

1 Like

It’s easier, yes, but the downside is the heavily reduced precision. The loop settings in the AED are much more precise.

1 Like

Ah, how about a custom LFO with constant value of +/-1 set to LEN? Gives you 127x the precision, no?

(Just being silly here :wink:)

1 Like