Sample player, that plays loops, accepts midi clock, won't go out of sync

Hi

Looking for something to trigger samples and sample loops from the octatrack.

I have the blackbox 1010 and in all honesty, it’s a struggle.

Ipad - ideally launchpad would accept midi in, however it doesn’t.

What are my options?

Digitakt doesn’t play long enough loops -unless that’s changed in the last 18 months.

Budget is 500.

In advance, my thanks.

Curious to know what you are struggling with the BB?

4 Likes

Digitakt has always been able to play samples of up to 64 MB. How long do you need? Why couldn’t you use the OT’s ability to stream from Compact Flash?

What gear do you have?

I kinda have this need too.

I was using a Digitakt to triggers a couple of Simpler channels in Ableton - latency/clock is pretty rubbish.

new plan is to use an MPC500 I have - drawback is only one pair of audio outs.

But otherwise seems like a pretty good plan, and because they were a bit unloved as MPCs they’re kinda cheap for all the things they do.

SP-404(SX or A)?

Curious too, as I came here to recommend it after seeing the title…

it feels like both of those are better than my MPC500 suggestion if you have £500 tbh. I am just a cheapskate.

:wink:

I find the midi to be usable at best-The sync doesn’t like long samples etc etc.

I want to love it, as its so close to being amazing, but things like the pitching etc. don’t really keep me enamoured.

Has to stay in time. Great for one shots but a 64 drum loop…

get a SP. 303 or 404. Both have their quality.
But if you use Elektron transfer, you can play samples on Digitakt as long as you want.

I’m using other tracks for other things. And something separate that I could trigger on The fly would be great in this scenario. Like I say, launchpad on the ipad would be great if it had midi in.

Something that is smaller than the OT is useful for the live rig.

Analog 4, ot, tt 303, ableton, ipad circuit,

Wait- so I can load a loop of a 130bpm drum loop onto the sp404, trigger it from the octatrack and it will be in sync with whatever bpm I’m slaving the sp404 to?

You can’t use (Ableton) Live for your purpose?

Nah, it’s for a live rig and I have enough to worry about without dragging a laptop along

the sample loop will alway play as you recorded it. You can time stretch using FX but it’s manual.

That’s no good then mate. Need to trigger it an know it’s staying in time. If I wanted to manually adjust things, I’d go back to djing :wink:

Ok, maybe it is a case of trying other settings?

I mean I’m not sure as only had my BB a little while, but going from previous experiences with other gear sometimes changing the way you do it can work, for example is it clips or samples that won’t sync correctly, or both? Is it an issue when going from BB internal as master clock? Is it possible to change the way you do it and get better results? How about having the OT trig the samples on BB, etc?

I’m not trying to be pedantic or suggesting you are wrong BTW but sometimes changing gear is more hassle than trying other ways with the gear you have, yep it is a PITA.

1 Like

Yeah I get you mate, and I have spent a fair amount of time, playing around with all sorts - clip launching, using it in sample mode, slicing etc. It’s also the combination of things as well–lack of fx, lack of modulation, adsr being for volume, the back and forth of the ui when doing things etc.

I’ve tried it as master and slave and it’s still the same. Trimming samples to within an inch of their life, warping them in ableton and importing them over.

I bought it some time ago and was hopeful of the next firmware update being the one that resolved it all, and whilst each one brings something nice, I think there’s some basics that need sorting first.

It will do for now and if there’s nowt else on the market, I suppose I’ll continue to suck it up. Just wanted to see if there was something I’ve missed on the market.

Maybe what I really need is to get a second ot!

1 Like

Check out Drambo

1 Like

Cool, will take a look.