Sample playback on Rytm VS Model:Samples

I bought a Model:Samples not too long ago and now I’m thinking if I should sell it and get a RYTM mk2 instead.

How close is the sample playback part of the RYTM vs the Model:Samples? Can you set all the sample controls like start/end loop, reverse, volume, pitch, envelope decay etc per step as in the M:S? Can I load different samples per each 16th note step?

Also, I used to own a Vermona DRM1. Is the analogue section comparable to to this or does it have a lot more functions to edit?

Thanks

1 Like

Hi, I dont have a model samples, but a rytm mk1 for several years. I would say that the sample playback is comparable.

yes, but you dont have a specific decay envelope for the sample. the (amp)envelope and filter(envelope) are shared with the synth part. think of the sample more like another “oscillator” at the beginning of the signal flow.

sure, you can p-lock the sample or the whole sound per step…

Never played with that vermona, but it think rytm is rather different with more synthesis machines, but simmilar results should be achievable

1 Like

thank you. Looks like I’ll be ordering one in a couple of days.

I’ve watched a ton of videos on youtube but they usually just load a preset sound and plonk it on the pattern without going into depth on what elements are making that sound or how that sound can be adjusted with the synth engine.

1 Like

This video helped me to decide. Shows the different functions and parameters.

3 Likes

thanks… watching now as I type.
edit: thanks , that vid just completely sold me on it. Time to eat beans for a month.

Another Q.

Midi over USB. When connected to a DAW (cubase pro 10) does it stick to track location like the M:S does, if I hit play at 3/4 of a bar in half way through the song does it correctly locate and jump to that point, or is it a simple start/stop as say an old Roland TR does.

3 Likes

it can follow SPP as noted back here e.g.

2 Likes

Oh, for some reason I thought you couldn’t Sample Lock on the Rytm? I really need to RTFM. Maybe I thought that because people talk about using Sample Chains all the time, I thought that was a workaround. What would be the advantage of using a Chain instead of Sample Locks?

Hmm, interesting. I’m in the same boat as you @wickfut, I have the M:S but now I’m considering the Rytm mkII.

Yep, sound locks and sample locks…
You can lfo sample slot too!

Sample chains get you way more samples per project…

2 Likes

a lot more functions to edit. if you just want the basics of an analog drum sound, you can keep it pretty simple by just focusing on a handful of parameters. but the options are there if you want them.

for me, a DRM1 sound either works in a song or it doesn’t; they don’t have a ridiculous range. so if I don’t find something quickly, I move on. the RYTM, you can tweak a given sound for hours trying to make it work, getting all sorts of ridiculous results. for better or worse.

2 Likes

yes, and on the rytm mk 2 you can also record a sample directly on the machine, assign it to a track (and/or save it to pool) and than even resample different tracks or master

rytm is a total beast, but keep in mind, you will trade deeper functionality with a little bit more complexity - but totally worth it in my opinion

1 Like

You can also change any one to all samples on the tracks instantaneously with scenes and modulate the sample slot parameter with performance macros, velocity, and aftertouch mods… :slight_smile:
Rytm’s flippin awesome, I don’t feel its capabilities are talked about as much as I would think they would on here…

1 Like

OK, so I’ve got the funds now to get a new mk2 RYTM but before I do I just want to clear some things up which is making me second guess between an Octatrack and RYTM.

Can I record a sample of say a drum loop and slice it in to individual drum hits and map them to different pads on RYTM? ie, cut one long sample up into smaller samples with fine precision rather than the blunt 120 position sample chopping on the M:S?

I’m noticing a lot of youtube videos of the RYTM have this overdriven crunchy character to them. I’m not really liking this character. I’m guessing it’s people overusing the onboard distortion rather than something with the pure analogue synthesis part?

for eg. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXdUC8E0Q_c

I sequence and mix in my DAW. I don’t need an onboard MIDI sequencer controlling outboard synths and neither do I want to create full tracks inside the device. Any reason why I should go with Octatrack over RYTM?

I’m on MKI and it just has the 120 value sample start, I think on MK2 you can trim samples you make on the device precisely but for playback it’s the 120 values, best wait for a MK2 operator to confirm…

My AR rarely sounds crunchy like that video and when it does in in a different way, you can make it clean but there’s always some analog warmth in a good way.

Octatrack and Rytm are vastly different, I have both and love each of them in their own way. To make a wise purchase I highly advise reading the manuals front to back and taking a bit more time watching videos and what not…

1 Like

cheers,

Let’s be realistic. I’ll probably eventually buy both.

I’ve watched a load of videos on both. Still a damn difficult decision. ha

1 Like

The combo is insane!
Rytm is an analog drum machine first and foremost with quite a vast amount of modulation possible, scenes and performance pads are amazing for quick switch ups from subtle to drastic instantly then bam your back in the groove. It’s more ready to roll than Octatrack, it’s designed to be a drum machine… It’s got a lot of tricks up its sleeve but easy to get going with, it certainly has a lot of depth to it though…

Octatrack is a strange enigma that once you get the hang of it is like an audio blender that serves up a million kinds of sonic smoothies… Never will you have so much fun with a crossfader! It’s main use in my world is its extreme live sampling with realtime warped playback, you can sample a groove while your going and it can spit out a completely remixed version on the fly. It takes a lot of programming before hand to make it do what you want, after that it’s super quick to employ crazy audio mayhem when your jamming… It can be many things, you end up making your own instrument with your own custom workflow… Lots more too but I’ll leave it there…

I read how you quickly explored the samples and weren’t so impressed, these boxes are an entirely different league and you’ll find new stuff to do with them for years to come, especially OT, I don’t think any human has explored all its capabilities yet… :smile:

2 Likes

I don’t have mine yet of course, but from my research I’ll try to answer.

Rytm does not have Slice like the Octatrack. In fact, it seems once a sample is saved there is no trim/cut editing at all to modify the actual saved file. You just get the 120 Start points to scan through, and other things to p-lock like End, Pitch, etc. Basically a lot like the M:S. However, if you record a sample (from external input, or re-sample internally) you then get a trimming window to cut the start/end points and save the file. But still no slicing.

The Octatrack has most (all?) of the features needed to replace a DAW or computer, but that also means more menu diving and a steeper learning curve. Personally I still like editing and preparing samples on the computer, then dumping them to the machine and immediately start working on composition instead of more editing. Therefore I can set up my own “slices” using the OctaChainer software, or just create individual samples.

To think about it a little differently, here’s how I’d describe the Rytm compared to the Model:Samples. Sample handling is very close to being the same. You get the analog synthesis of course, but above that…

Imagine how you work with the Model:Samples, then add these features:

• External sampling
  • Re-Sampling internally
  • Analog filters
  • ADSR envelope for Filter
  • ASR envelope for Amp
  • Saving drum “Kits”
  • P-Lock and modulate Sample selection
  • Song Mode
  • Scenes
  • Pads for voice stealing (open/closed hats)
  • Individual outputs
  • Much better display (M:S only shows 9 characters when browsing for samples)

I’ve tried to find a function that the M:S has that the Rytm does not, and so far the only thing I could come up with is “Control All”.

1 Like

Not to mention velocity and aftertouch mod matrixes per track sound which can be also used as straight mod matrixes, aftertouch by midi, velocity by disabling velocity to volume and using track page velocity as mod depth or with retrig fade. Performance macros! Much more in depth midi implementation, a lot more user config options and customizable sound settings, a huge amount of analog voices with different machine controllers to choose from, analog overdrive, distortion, compression, Kits!! for parameter tweaks carrying through and switching all sounds of a pattern simply by loading another kit, sound pool for tracks to play a multitude of sounds. Slide trigs, trig mutes, accent, more configurable lock trigs, track routing, individual outputs, overbridge…

Off the top of my head, I’m sure I missed some stuff… :smiley:

2 Likes

I doubled a few of yours… :grin:
It doesn’t have the chance parameter, track scale, and it doesn’t have sample length it has sample end which folks complain about but I think it’s unique and awesome and prefer it on Rytm.

Has a lot more parameters… :slight_smile:

Can’t answer your question but will say I just got a AR mk1 and it’s the cleanest sounding machine I’ve owned. Not sure why or how yet but it is. Agree with open mike though, the OT fader is awesome, it’s all I used while I owned it.

1 Like