Sample & Kit management is awful

I’m kinda bummed Elektron haven’t addressed the terrible sample and kit management woes. It simply does not work and yet more than half a year down the line there is no sign of a fix.

For example, today I wanted to take a kit from one project and copy it to another. This almost works but non of the samples are brought over, instead just references to their sample slots. So in this new project I have a kit which points to essentially blank sample slots. The only fix is for me to note down which samples were used in the original kit and then manually re-attach them from the +Drive into the new kit in the new project.

This machine is touted as an analog drum machine with sample enhancement except using samples in reality is A PAIN; from getting them onto the machine to management within the machine.

The sample aspect of RYTM needs an overhaul with some serious thought to get it working properly. Right now it feels half baked and in reality limits you to only ever using a single non-changing audio pool of samples because as soon as you use a different pool a whole world of pain opens up.

Fix it please Elektron. Rant over. :dizzy_face:

1 Like

whilst i understand your pain, there’s simply no way around this, you can’t expect them to randomly write over slots for each and every kit, the only solution is projects, but i also wish that there was an option to at least save a kit with samples and then just take the pain if the slots are overwritten - it is the way it is, you have to bend to it i suspect, it puts me off relying too much on samples, but i’m getting a notebook ready for just this, trying to keep projects static sample wise will help, plus management may get easier with OB anyway

put it this way, better to have the niggling functionality as is than to have none ! it really transforms it mind you :wink:

Yupp, Actually I never use separate projects anymore, too much hassle. I just overwrite patterns & kits as I go. Hoping overbridge might ease the pain, but not getting too optimistic that it will.
The only file mgmt feature I actually use and enjoy is the sound pool, makes creating custom kits by combining stored sounds very swift (and samples work because 1projectonly)

1 Like

Well said OP. Hopefully this gets more friendly in the future without having to rely on Overbridge. It would also be great to be able cteate your own tags…

This is pretty much the way to go ATM. Too bad its so limiting.
Would be great if this gets opened up pronto.

Did you happen to contact support about this.

My work around is making a template project with all the kits/samples I like, saving it to an empty slot, then loading it and saving that project to another slot as my working project. When I’m done with my working project, and if I have added any new samples, I go back to my template project, add the samples, and then load the template project into a empty slot. Rinse and repeat.

1 Like

+1 for Project
You can directly compare an AR project to an Ableton ,Logic or Pro Tools Project
You save changes as you go to the Project.
That will automatically save your kits, sounds and samples and all the settings in one hit -exactly how a Project works in a DAW or any software development tool .
Anyone not working this way is doing it wrong period

seems simple enough to have folders show up in the C6 software. would make things a lot easier. i just tried to load this future house kit based on the video tutorial, kits etc are empty. :-/

not when it comes to managing samples. which is essentially half the product.

that’s funny, my DAW doesn’t automatically ruin my kit presets when I save a project. Sure, it saves “pattern data” and “local snapshots” of all params but does not touch my lovingly crafted preset collection unless I explicitly order a “save preset/overwrite”. We must be using diff. DAWs?
there should be a way to make a kit preset “read-only/locked” on the AR. I’ve ruined quite a few kits just by jumping carelessly between projects. I am clearly doing it wrong?

I did, it’s on a priority list to be fixed. Hopefully soon.

Transfering Sounds or Kits between different Projects require to save each sound to the +Drive first.

If you have saved a sound (which contains a sample) on the +Drive and you want to load this sound in a new project, the AR will automatically load the needed sample to a free slot in the projects sample list. No extra work to be done.

Same goes for the Kit. All the sounds of the Kit must be individually saved on the +Drive. You are then able to copy a kit (Load Kit, mark the Kit you want to copy, FUNC + REC) to another project.

In the new project, Load Kit, mark a free slot, Paste with FUNC + Stop. Done.

Its not super super sexy, but its possible.

2 Likes

It’s so sad that 6 years later nothing has changed :frowning:

3 Likes

While I may agree that it should have been a more flexible and forgiving system from the start, I would be hesitant to say that nothing has changed at all in this time.

For instance, there was the addition of the Elektron Transfer application. Also, the new version 1.50/1.60 operating system updates added the possibility to select all unused Sounds in the project’s Sound pool for the A4 and the possibility to select/purge unused Sounds and samples from a project for the RYTM. Surely that helps in more than a few ways.

Then there’s always Elkherd for the Elektrons that support it currently. Some day it could support more machines…

None of those things solve the problem. I’m saying nothing has changed to solve this problem… :frowning:

Elk herd is a 3rd party tool which appears to have ended development, it also only supports digitakt afaik. And either way we really shouldnt need to rely on 3rd party tooling to facilitate basic kit management.

It’s a shame that nothing has changed since this post was posted 6 years ago that would actually help the OP or anyone else who wants to transfer kits between projects.

It almost feels like a bug that you can’t copy a lot to another project

2 Likes

In that case, you’re rather correct. Copying a kit from one project to another should most certainly copy over samples, and those samples should go to open slots as available. The sample slots should automatically re-assign to their new slot numbers during the copy procedure. That would be amazing.

Is this a problem with sounds locks in a pattern as well? I would imagine that copying a pattern from one project to another; the sounds would not be automatically imported over to the destination project?

Edit: Just tested, and can confirm (AR MKII on latest OS) does not copy samples over and when copying a pattern does not import the sounds from sound locks into the sound pool either.

2 Likes

The real problem is: Why the heck are Kits saved within projects?? Kits should be global, right?

5 Likes

You are right that Elkherd DOES help do something like this for digitakt. Hashes the sample in some way so that it doesn’t just need to be in the same slot etc.
So its possible, but with such a long time since this was first reported, it doesn’t seem probable :frowning:

I did put in a bug report before seeing this post but after seeing this I imagine It’ll just be a case of “not a bug sorry” :frowning:
unlessss they are working on some super Transfer update that lets us do this :stuck_out_tongue: previous versions were released around this time of year so that could be cool!

2 Likes
1 Like