Sample in mono or sum to mono?

New RYTM mk 2 owner here. Excited to dive into this awesome machine :slight_smile:

I have run a stereo output of my soundcard into the RYTM sampling inputs so I can sample from my DAW. Just wondering if it’s better to just use a mono output and sample sounds that are already mono (or use Ableton’s utility device to make mono), or just let the RYTM sum to mono.

Will there be any discernible difference?

Thanks for any input!

1 Like

Personally I make sounds in 48k , mono , in the daw
Then just transfer them via usb ( i’m Using mk1)

Much easier trimming , normalizing on pc/mac , and easier to make chains of sounds
Possibly not as quick as just clicking sample on mk2 though.

There are probably many threads on hear about 44 vs 48k , mono vs stereo I think people have found an audible difference , it’s a personal thing if you think it’s worth dealing with

the rytm doesn’t sum to mono - it just strips the right away and uses the left

always better to pre-do this on the computer imho, makes it simpler to transfer a file which doesn’t require further work and therefore you already have an exact copy backed up externally

this was the case for MK1 files - as for sampling I am actually not so sure -so maybe just test it

2 Likes

Rytm MK2 sums to mono when sampling…

3 Likes

So are you saying to pan a sample hard left in a daw first and then export that to rytm?

Sampling with the audio inputs it sums to mono. Transfer a stereo file with the transfer app from your computer and only one channel is used.

2 Likes

as with most things , try a few different ways to do it , listen to the results , judge which you like the best , which you find easiest.

the info is on this thread / forums , but I often try out the various options suggested , just to understand it by doing it myself, the best way to make a decision , become more familiar with the menu system/button presses / preparing the source material.

also , look at how things get normalised if you are sampling in , it’ll do it to the entire sample , which isnt always the best solution if you have peaks / lows in the audio . and once done you cant edit/normalise again.

ultimately doing it on pc/mac you have the most control , easiest way to edit / change / undo and try again. once its on any device (rytm etc) , do what they can do best , sequence/mangle/effect/tweak …

Thank you for the replies Elektronuts! I’ll try both ways and see which I prefer.

I believe there is a transfer app to send the samples by usb? Is this reasonably straightforward?

I was thinking of just working with kits in one project, and only starting a new project once I’ve filled all my 128 sample slots. Is that a sensible way to work or is there a better one? Any tips here?

Thanks guys!

If it were me I’d just make a mono sum in an audio editor - I wouldn’t want to keep a stereo sample with just the left side populated on the computer and it also means a quicker transfer to the AR

I haven’t tried the transfer application either (though reading above it appears to be the same), but sending from c6 would just drop the right side

2 Likes

Transfer app also uses only one of the channels in a stereo sample.

From what I understand the stereo to mono stuff using C6 or Transfer app is performed on the computer, so I don’t think you’ll notice any major difference in transfer speed.

Transfer app is the way to go anyhow, because it’s crazy fast compared to C6.

I would suggest to almost always keep one channel rather than sum from stereo, unless you have audited how it sounds beforehand. There are just too many factors in a stereo signal that could make it sound terrible when summed. (e.g phase differences)

6 Likes

or just use the octatrack and keep it in stereo :wink:

1 Like

…never underestimate the punch of mono signals…
takt takes all it’s power in first place from this simple fact…
stereo is good for all kinds of fx flair…and dedicated athmospheric sounds, while the majority of sounds only grow in value when mono…
and always check ur mixes also in mono…there u really “see” what ur mix might lack…

and yup…sample in truu mono when it comes to drums for sure…

Am I correct that if feeding a4 into rytm, left channel cable is enough? With the material I have tested it on, that is the case, but I was wondering if this might backfire with some content.

so let’s be honest. the rytm mk2 got a sample recording function that is absolutely great. of course, the signal that is posted via the new rytm audio input is converted to mono in a reasonable way. otherwise what would be the point of the new function, they must have thought of something. i also go from my audio interface directly to the rytm audio input and record any signals.

I just see that the question was from 2018 :wink: