Sample digging

Wow, I’m just gonna post that when people express the OT’s too difficult or don’t like the manual… :joy:
At 35 seconds he says it has Allen Bradley controls… :joy: @bradleyallen :thinking:
I deffinately want to sample that, it’s hilarious…

3 Likes

speaking of old japanese stuff, I grab those kind of LPs a lot but prefer 80s stuff bc of the quality synth lines. I use anime soundtracks more. They aren’t as easy to find but many are quite rare and unheard of now.
I also love sampling from movies (often LP version). Been sampling apocolypse now lately. There are some really good cs80 sounds but it also has some great vocals and drum hits even.

2 Likes

I’m currently waitin for the new hc-tt to drop. i missed my chance for the first one.

1 Like

This website shows tracks on Spotify that have 0 plays. Lots of crap but sometimes you find some obscure gems with it. I sample it with my audio interfaces‘ loopback function (better quality than youtubes‘ 192 kbps resolution too)

Besides that I love 2nd hand recordshops but these became rare where I live)

1 Like

I’ve been doing this a lot recently. Old videos are great material, drug propaganda videos are my personal favourite. Dragging up the old thread, anyone been sampling anything unusual lately?

1 Like

oh nice! Could you share them?

1 Like

Recently came back to putting everything through extreme settings on Paul’s Extreme Sound Stretch. Anything can sound like drones from hell with that tool :blush::+1:

Yeah can do when I get a chance to. Littleuns really ill I’ve got my hands full but i’ll try put something up when I get back in the studio.

@tobee shame it’s not on mac. I like extreme time stretching a lot. I make some crunchy drums and super timestretch stuff with OT and get earl sweatshirt sort of dark sounds, goes great with slow rap

1 Like

Oh cool I’ve used wineskin, mostly for game emulation stuff. I never considered using it for audio stuff, good looks

I found theres a basement shop a 15 minute walk from where i live that has 2 rooms stacked with cheap records. I want to make an hour of music just records, octatrack, sp404, drum machine and monologue

2 Likes

VSTIs.

Came across these from the BBC. Cool I thought. I was up early.

I clicked on one called Agitated Birds.

Bad mistake at 4:30am. My cuppa almost flew across the room and I almost ripped my ears off taking out my headphones.

Anyway :wink:

http://bbcsfx.acropolis.org.uk

2 Likes

I can’t say this is true. Grab a sp 404 and run that internet sample through it. Then sample into digitakt. Instant lofi or vaporwave producer.

2 Likes

I add stuff to playlists on spotify everytime i hear something worth sampling, Got 3 playlists with 10k songs on it and I shuffle through until I find something inspiring.

2 Likes

Same here, I find that there are many benefits to this as well as some disadvantages, but it can be a great and often overlooked source of samples.

Also for instruments that are not easily controlled it is super convenient.

how cute ^^

1 Like

Another tip, quodb.com . You can search a word or phrase and it scans thousands of movie scripts and gives you quotes with time stamps. Sometimes they’re very slightly off but it puts you in the general vicinity of where you can find a sample you’re looking for.

4 Likes

Great thread, I’m glad it was revived. That first post with radiooooo is real rad.

If anyone has ever checked out whosampled.com that site is cool. It shows you where all the daft punk, Kanye, anco etc. samples came from with the original recordings too

1 Like

I sample vinyl, cassettes, synths, instruments (ie: thumb piano, harmonica, guitar, xylophone, shakers, ect), found sounds, vocals… anything & everything. I love warping sounds into something different & love using sounds that challenge me.

When I first started this journey I bought all kinds of random records, I’d play a record, sample the first song I heard & make something out of it no matter what the song was. I did this for a long time. Even though I made a lot of shit it taught me what to listen for, what types of sounds I like & it taught me how to get creative with sound. I wanted to learn & I was obsessed. As time went on, every once in awhile I allowed myself to really listen & pick the songs to sample. Sample things that inspired me & I really felt, which taught me more about the things I liked sampling & what to listen for. It also gets me motivated & excited to work with what I sampled.

Even when I use my synths I like sampling them. I’ll make my sounds, play notes & melodies, just jamming out while sampling everything, then I’ll further manipulating the sounds as a sample.

When it comes to the sounds I sample & the genre’s, I’m all over the place & I couldn’t list a favorite. Beautiful sounds can be found everywhere & can be made out of almost anything.

5 Likes

Kind of a Google earth of radio stations. A lot of fun for sampling, but also for discovering music in general. There’s also an app.

3 Likes