Sample Chains on Digitakt

Just noting that one might exclude longer samples (open hats, cymbals 808s with long decays) and prepare/load them separately otherwise they’ll blow out the total sample length/ram

Yes it’s likely to have been covered over the years.
Keep the numbers simple , make ‘sounds’ to enable you to easily access each slice if needed ( though digitakt hasn’t got that many parameters to deal with )

And … have variants of the same sample chain for easy access to distorted / flange / Eq’d versions / sample rate etc ( needs to be mono ) and then just swap in the sample slot with any variants

Any effect that fits within the typical sample length … so reverbs etc aren’t very suitable unless you pad out the slices of the original chain.

If you have both dt and ot then you can easily have stereo / mono on relevant machines if you setup the chain nicely.

And finally I typically have similar structures to simplify sample chains
Eg
Drum kit sounds are similar order and amount
8 x bss drums
8x snares
4x open hats
4 closed hats
4 claps

Etc. removes the need to think
Leave gaps if needed and you can easily add a bass drum within those ‘8’ slots at a later date.
If you have an 808,606,707 chain with same structures you can easily change drum machine and your patterns still work.

Wasn’t sure where to post this but I suppose it’s related to this thread.

Some fun to be had making kick drum chains…

I’m sure this approach could be used for any other sound, too

3 Likes

all of the octatrack threads about sample chains are relevant.
the only thing to check is the amounts of slices / how theyre arranged.

2 Likes