Sample CD with tuned drums

Hi!
I started tuning completely everything to the scale I am working in.
So the problem is that I would like to make music without the pc for a night just jamming and I would be really happy if there were some recommendations on sample CD’s with drums that have their tuning in their names.
Even if it doesn’t sound logical there are fundamentals even in hihats and it makes a huge difference if those are tunes to match the scale I am in.
So my question is if anyone can recommend (possibly high quality) sample cd’s with tuned drums.
Cheers,
Jens

Dance Music Production. Those that do fantastic tutorials have a tuned percussion sample pack.

I have some of their tutorials and have to say that they are way better than any other tutorial I have watched so far. Just bought the pack. Can’t go wrong for 20 quid. Would be cool to have a card full of tuned samples so that staying in a scale on the octatrack is possible (not sure if they will ever release an update but a pitch correction or like the very old hardware samplers automatic key mapping would be perfect.

IIRC certain Samples From Mars packs have tuned drum samples. Not at my DAW at the moment so cannot verify which…

Mixed in key can analyze your sample folder and rename the samples with the detected key. You maybe just have some gbyte already where the tuning is good for your purpose, but dosent know the key.
I would recommend to make some pre processing, for the OT sample chain. I.e add to the hihat samples some delay with 1 ms delay to tighten the sound, add some short gated reverb to the drums to smooth and thicken them. Or transient fx.
And EQ the samples. I would mix the samples by ear so that they are equally loud, instead of just normalizing. Spending some time here, and testing it on the octatrack saves a lot of headaches later. (probably less need of volume finetuning later.)

Hi, thanks for the answer. Does it work relieablly? I noticed lots of tuner plugins having problems detecting the pitch on rather atonal sounds even when there is a clear spike / fundamental visible when checking the fft. I already thought about hanging my mobile on the cue out running a tuner app but didn’t due to these circumstances.

To find the fundamental you can try to add overdrive. Works well for kicks.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip. Will definitely try!!!

I just ordered a rode sc 6 which apparrently lets me connect a line in to my mobile (didnt know how the rings and tips were spread) and downloaded istrobosoft which seems to have a tuner as well as an fft built in. I really hope this works as this will let me work without having to use the daw.