@saint_stink's compositions on Analog RYTM

Aphex Twin-inspired sketch I made with the Analog RYTM that features its buttery DVCOs

All basslines and melodies in this composition were made using the RYTMs analog VCOs. I personally love the character of the analog oscillators + filter and try to feature them in most of my beats (even if they are a bit out of tune).

63 Likes

very cool!

1 Like

That was amazing! Hey Aphex does not mind a out of tune baseline, pretty sure he likes it that way lol

2 Likes

You done good there . Aphex or not you worked that drum pad.
Did you set out from the start to Aphex or was that realised along the way?

1 Like

Don’t say out of tune, say microtonal, then everyone thinks you’re the shit.

Good tune too.

13 Likes

Well the latter half is very similar to a track on Syro…

Other than that, nice work on the AR. I think a bit more tweaking with envelopes and writing your own tunes will yeild very good results.
I liked the drums a lot.

3 Likes

Brilliant! Tell us a bit How you ended with that song. Did you use alot of samples?

1 Like

Very nice. Really has that signature “playful” melodic feel that a lot of Aphex tracks have. Nice and upbeat. I enjoyed it!

1 Like

that shit was tight AF…release that on bandcamp ASAP

2 Likes

Very nice! Keep going. :slight_smile:

1 Like

true.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. So cool to hear that people are listening!

@Spheric_El Yes, I set out to do a bit of an impersonation from the get-go. After a shitty workday, sometimes I just want to mindlessly ape someone rather than write in my own “voice” if that makes sense. I admit, its not very original, but so much more relaxing to refine your patch-making, sequencing, and ear instead of stressing over some conceptual shit or being totally innovative, haha.

@Microtribe I sincerely appreciate the criticism! I’m working up the courage to post something original, but that shit is scary! :rofl: Cheesy as it sounds, a drum machine is sort of like a diary and I feel super fucking anxious about putting my “voice” out there. As for the envelopes - do you feel the filter envelopes were sloppy and maybe “un-musical” in general, or was it glaring errors with the amp envelope like pops or clicks because I didn’t let them reset correctly?

@MichaalHell Sure! The bassline was the DVCO engine with the second VCO tuned a 5th above the first (with that weird rounded-sawtooth configuration). The counterpoint to the bassline was another DVCO but set to a single VCO with sawtooth waveform (some vibrato on it too - delayed LFO to oscillator tune). There is a third DVCO in there doing “pad”-like sounds, super-slow envelope filter with its second VCO tuned an octave above the first and slightly detuned to cause some beating. The drums were mostly done on one track with the kick being an overdriven BT classic machine (no sample), while the snare, hihats, and percs being a combination of the noise engine with samples (some Motown drum loops and sampled old-school drum machines). I also used the XT classic machines + self-oscillating filter to do some clave sounds. There is another self-oscillating filter doing some “guitar pick” sounds (layered with an actual guitar sample). And finally, the cowbell engine layered with a single-cycle sawtooth doing the highest-pitch melodies. If I have time this week, I don’t mind zipping the samples and sysex files together for anyone who wants to play around with it.

3 Likes

Awesome! :upside_down_face:

1 Like

The envelopes were static on every synth voice. So after a while it sounds stale.
But to be fair, you are using a drum machine to do a synths job, so good effort! I couldn’t hear any clicks or pops.
Just put your own tunes out mate, honestly, do it.

1 Like

Honestly i dont get the criticism. This is masterclass level. I love that it sound like early Aphex, that shits dope!

5 Likes

I hear you, thanks again.
Like you said, it is a drum machine after-all, but I really wish you could modulate parameters with keyboard-tracking. It would really help out in this department because doing all the necessary parameter locks would drive me insane.

Flipped Cowboy Bebop samples to make a beat on the Analog RYTM

I made this beat on my Analog RYTM by pitch-shifting and chopping the song Wo Qui Non Coin from an episode of Cowboy Bebop. I also threw in some synth samples from Ariel Pink’s song Live it Up. At first, I was a bit disturbed how completely not-transparent the Analog RYTM’s signal path is (especially with longer audio samples like this), but I grew to really like it. Still using some of the internal VCOs to do drum parts, basslines, and FX on this one too.

14 Likes

Cool tracks :slight_smile:
Somehow reminds me how Glo Phase/@George_Michael rocks his own AR!

(I took the liberty to gather your productions in one place as you seem to be inspired ^^ Keep dropping tracks!)

4 Likes

I dig it!

1 Like

@LyingDalai Thank you very much, I will be sure to post here in the future. Also, it was Glo Phase’s rytm performances that convinced me to buy one in the first place, so that’s an enormous compliment that I greatly appreciate!

4 Likes