Sad story

so my MnM mkii wiped itself last night. i have an MD, MnM rytm setup.

the only thing i think that could of caused it is that my MD (a UW mki) has a non original power supply and recently started occasionally turning itself off and on at random. all data would be still available and could press play as soon as she booted, but of course this was a vibe killer mid jam.
last night the MD did this again but this time my MnM then froze. when i rebooted all internal data was gone. the MD is the master clock + program change machine in the trio, sending direct into MnM and then out to rytm. dunno why it reset the internal memory tho, some midi send trauma?

i’ve now empty reset both MD and MnM as i’ve read somewhere this solved some issues for some people. losing weeks of work but thats by the by. the MD hasn’t reset itself since (only a few hours use), but i’m anxious it still will again in future.

just sharing the pain and wondering if any similar experiences, resolutions from you guys. my biggest concern is that my MD UW mki has some deeper rooted problem and these resets are the tell tale onset of some internal issue that could result in far worse…?

can anyone advise if it’s worth cracking her open and reseating connections, making sure things are plugged in solidly etc, it’s an old second hand unit, and i appreciate cannot be repaired in 2017 so want to maximise my time with her.

any advice or stories of similar problems appreciated.

ta, waftlord.

you can open the MD/MnM without problem to remove the board. it’s quite easy, even for
folks with little experience. once you have removed all screws (attention, there’s a small screw near by the volume knob), grab the board on the right side of the Mono and lift it up a bit, till you see two connectors (yellow with red cables) underneath. try to pull them off carefully with your middle- and forefinger. if it’s not possible, use a small flat screw driver, a needle nose plier or something like that. there is also a sort of ribbon cable near by the volume knob, which is connected to the MIDI/Audio I/O board. you can pull it off once you have some space to do so. connect the Power Supply to the MD so that you are grounded. extra tip: do not remove the small slotted screw near the Volume knob completely, just loose it a bit. this will prevent the board to fall into the casing and on other components while you remove the cables underneath. this happened to me one time

1 Like

thanks for these tips, any ideas what i should be primarily addressing for the MD reseting issue i mentioned?

I had problem with my brand new Machinedrum.
Turned out when I opened it I figured the flat cable between the two boards was not plugged enough.

Regarding your data loss… Well, R.I.P. :crying_cat_face:

Anyone who once lost data in one of his beloved machines can write his story there…

• I had a problem with arps in my Monomachine : the 4th to 6th notes wouldn’t be played in Poly mode.
    I reset the box, loosing all my data for nothing as it didn’t get better.
    Figured later it was MIDI configuration (channel span) that was doing this weird artefact.
  • I had crafted a very nice song on the MD. Thought I should Save the Snapshot before losing this beauty.
    Was a bit too quick and hit “Load” instead of “Save” (“Load” is first in the Snapshot menu). I shouted quite a bit. :scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::dizzy_face::tired_face::tired_face:

what was the problem with the MD that the plug solved?

I had some kind of failure, but I can’t remember right now what it was exactly…
I don’t remember if it used to shut down, or if it froze, or if some functions were not working properly…
I have a very bad memory for the bad things :smile_cat:

Hi i have same problem with same model MDUW MKI.

Same story machine reset randomly very often and i realize the problem is on the connection plug. cant get a new one here, and the power supply go to repair with an engineer that cant find the problem, i just insist, and they check it again and yes theres a short causing the power failure. he have to remove the plastic cover and repair and recover with thermofill and works as new. end of story. never have the issue again. hope this helps. or try to get a new one. Best

2 Likes

While you’re in there you might as well replace the battery (assuming all your data is gone anyways, otherwise, back up first!)

thanks for this elektrobot7. can i double check to make sure i understand, the issue is with the PSU, not the unit itself. and there’s something shorting inside the power supply?

Hi yes the issue was on the Power Supply exactly on the plug. the short was between the wire and the plug.

I have some pics of the repair if you want i can send you to check this also the PSU didnt say elektron and check the amperage, because if the PSU didnt meet the specs, this may cause the failure.

1 Like

thanks, i’ve got a euro plug PSU going into a uk plug adaptor. all kinds of wrong all ready, let alone if there’s a short…
i’ll check and maybe get a new UK PSU.

thanks again.

when the unit is connected and working move gently the plug or the cable near the unit so you can check this way.

Well, after a year and a half of tweaking my mnm and md (I bought those last year in the big clearance) I stopped working for month. Today Started my MNM and MD and… everything is gone.
I have a smoke free studio which is very secure. dunno. Is sad.

very interesting correlation between smoking and battery power…:loopy: