RYTM vs Octatrack liveset

I use mainly one-shot drum samples in my live - what would be better for live perfomances?

If you just use samples, i think that OT has more advantages.
In OT, sample is as chewing-gum. In AR, when it comes to samples it appears less flexible than OT himo. In AR the real tool is synthesis for analog drums. It’s living flavors.

2 Likes

OT people will say OT.
RYTM people will say RYTM.
Other people will say something else.

Better is personal preference/ what you have/ what you know.

Personally, the gear you know best, is the best gear for live shows.

(Cue endless A vs B discussion)

2 Likes

Both units have Performance tools. Question is : Do you want to Slide or Press and/or Rotate?

I’ve been using my octatrack as a drum machine. AMA

I dont know much about the rytm, but the octa is incredibly flexible. Just yesterday I live recorded my singer’s vocals and played them back sliced and with fun FX. RYTM cant do that

I would say both (MK1), but you could just search this forum and the topic of Rytm vs OT comes up pretty heavily. Like this one for instance.

Having owned both but never played live AR is my favorite drum machine ever and the OT with its fader is crazy fun. I miss them both dearly. If I had to choose one for live use it would be the OT only because it has more flexibility and options. Good luck!

1 Like

It also depends on what Genre you are performing Live.

2 Likes

don’t bite my head off, but I have never seen one video clip of something really interesting being done with the octa’s crossfader… I know it’s a great feature… but the groundbreaking notions usually associated with it I haven’t ever seen… just usually people fading between filtering, reverse, or something else as equally mundane. Why do people think of it as game changing?

3 Likes

I ended up selling the OT, stupidly. I spent hours just sitting on the fader and a few scenes. So much fun, I haven’t been able to reproduce that workflow since.

why did you sell it, and what did you use the crossfader for… I think if they made it possible to record the FX scenes into the sequencer on the Rytm that would be a game changer

It’s just incredibly intuitive and quick. Yeah, I mostly use it for HPF, LPF and reverb on my master but what’s the alternative? Turning a reverb pedal off and on? Turning a filter pedal on and sweeping it and turning it back off? But the crossfader can do both at once…

If you want to hear more experimental stuff I mean you can set the starting slice to the crossfader. I made a whole composition that needed the crossfader to be composed…faded to four tracks, and experimented with the four muted ones and set them before going back.

That piece of music cant really exist without the crossfader

2 Likes

OT if for the only reason that it has 2x independent effects per track vs an aux verb and delay. I’ve done sets with 1 808 kick drum sample on OT transforming it into pads, percussion, etc and without resampling. The OT can stretch really far…https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH0x6ndY3Mc

thank you for the clip, are you a rytm user as well?

2 Likes

I’ve never used the rytm. I am a waffler, though, in that every day I have this conversation with myself:

“Gee, having a RYTM would be reeeaaallly fuuuunn.”
“Yeah, but you probably won’t actually use it that much…”
“but analog drums and P locks and elektron and pads and performance modes!”
“yeah but it’s $850 used, and you already use your Octatrack for that, and frankly you’re not really an ‘electronic musician’ anyway.”
“but…more stuff! and thom yorke and andrew van wyngarden used one!”

etc. clearly i have a very difficult life.

3 Likes

I had an MK2 a while back. I did really like the sound. Through a good system with a sub it was huge. I had pad and button issues and it was pretty much unusable for me. Now that I think about it, if I just needed drums, and was buying now, I would get the ARMK3 now with the anticipation of the OT being revamped/reworked etc in the near future. If I didn’t have any other machines I would get an OT now, and for the OP I would get the OT for one shots.

1 Like

For live sets, I think OT reigns supreme thanks to its ability to transition with the fader.

As long as you build a flex track dedicated to transition looping into each Part that you create with, you’ll always be able to make a seamless performance and transition from one tune to the next.

I did live sets with Rytm, a looper, and a DJ mixer to mix the two together. Much smoother and less stressful to just do it on the OT.

Added bonus is you can use it to transition to, from, within other gear. I love the OT.

For a live set that focuses on one shot samples, I prefer Model Samples, since it is so immediate and knobby, combined with OT for FX and transitions.

1 Like