Rytm Slice Mode

Realistically I think the Rytm might be done, short of a few more bug fixes.

But I mean, making it all the way to 2.0 would be something wouldn’t it?

2 Likes

LFO screen in the same style the digi’s have with better visuals would be ace

2 Likes

I dint think we’ll see a ‘real’ slice mode, but the way I slice right now:

• Take two of the pads sharing a channel (like mt and ht) and copy the sound between them so that they’re identical.
  • Mute one of them.
  • Put a trig on every of the first 16 steps (or more if needed) of the muted track and p-lock the sample start/end for each step to create 16 different slices.
  • You can now play the slices by holding the trig and pressing yes, to kind of play/try out your slices to make a cool sequence. They cut eachother off like theyre in a mute group. You get better at this after a while, though it remains cluncky.
  • Copy the trigs you want to use to the ‘twin’ track and place em in the right spots to make a sequence.
  • You now still have your spare slices saved which is super usefull for making variations etc. A good trick is to copy your page with slices to another page in this same track because theres a risk of losing them while your trying them which sucks.

Works well enough for me, though a real slice mode would be amazing of course.

7 Likes

If it had keytracking it would be possible to do this plus a lot of other cool stuff. Suggest adding keytracking to Rytm since it’s already a well known feature from other boxes and would add a lot and probably more useful than the aftertouch modulation which I suspect doesn’t get much use. I’d happily swap aftertouch for keytracking per track if both wasn’t possible.

Ha that’s one way. You could bust out the ole toothpick to wedge the yes button down too.

But yeah, the pad lock mode we’ve both described in the past would be absolutely supreme.

Digitakt got slicing and it’s not really the kind of slicing I’d want for hip hop.

A Pad Lock situation would be uniquely Rytm, performance centered and good for much much more than slicing.

I’ve been thinking it could be entered by holding perf and scenes mode together.

2 Likes

Ok I did it. I cracked the case.

We may not ever get a Pad Lock mode for slicing because the cpu just isn’t there. Scenes and perfs already max out at 48, I don’t think they could do another layer of performance like this.

But maybe just maybe we can get a 16 levels mode. With an elektron twist.

Decouple velocity from volume and map it to whatever you want. Yeah even sample start.

Now for this to really be amazing, a 16 levels mode would let you hold a pad and set a designated V level for that pad itself.

There’s only 4 potential mod destinations here so I don’t think this would be too insane to implement. And this feels like something I could do with a midi controller, so more of a control level addition.

(Of course I’d want this velocity control to now be high res like the sample point. Which might create problems when a parameter isn’t high res. I’m not sure how to remedy this one. )

5 Likes

Yeah that would work! The resolution isn’t there though, so that should be changed as well.

I used velocity to samplestart for finetuning samplestart before the last update. You can set the modulation ammount the full range of velocity covers, and I think velocity is 0-127, and the mod ammount is 1-120.

Edit: I did once use my midi keyboard’s pads to send out a range of velocity over midi, with each pad sending an increasing velocity. It worked for chopping a sample into slices, but it didn’t have enough resolution to get good startpoints.

1 Like

Somewhere in a parallel world, there exists an alternate chromatic mode called slice-mode, which let’s you press any of the pads and allows you to only lock only the start and end parameters of the sample in fine resolution.

7 Likes

Take me there.

It’s so so so close to being an MPC killer, at least in the sense of the older MPCs and how they were used.

4 Likes

They should bring it to 2.0 and call it a day. Then move on to mkIII

2 Likes

What else would it need to be an MPC killer?

1 Like

Even though I completely agree with you guys, they more or less said the last update reached the limits of what is technically possible to add to the machine, so I dont think they’ll ever add a slice mode.

I think there’s a bigger chance they make some sort of digitakt+pads (or mk2) with some of the AR features added.

Its truly a shame though, as the ARmk2 is sooo close to being the perfect new era mpc.

1 Like

I’d love CHRO to be replaced by a 12-LEVELS mode, even if the only thing being leveled was the VEL. Then we could use the VEL map and do whatever we wanted with that.

3 Likes