Rytm Reverb

I love the Rytm.

Lately not loving the reverb, though.

How are people using the reverb? How are you maximizing it’s potential? Got any cool reverb related tips?

I feel like what I’ve been getting from the reverb is a bit expressionless :expressionless:

1 Like

Plock the volume with parameter slide for boomy gated techno kicks. Set decay to forever.

Play with the eq for floating hats.

2 Likes

I would say if you hear the reverb you don’t use it the good way. no offense, but there’s 2 way to use the reverb … (for me) :

1. Open up the stereo : you use very short time, the reverb must not change the sound. it’s better to set it up on monitoring speakers and not on headphones (or at least on open headphones and not closed headphones) as it’s very subtle it’s something people simply don’t get it. like the compressor, like EQ like all the tools… i would say. :joy:

2. On One-shot considered as an FX, or a sound-designed Effect. SO it’s something happen rarely in a song just here and there in arrangement to spice things. usually with medium/long tail so as @RoyShade mention it’s a common use to p-lock the reverb according to how you see the Effects.

Also you have only One reverb, One delay, One compressor… so use things on sound-design matter is complicated rather to use it as a Bus processing. and if Bus Processing, recommended parameters is always subtle…

Notes : I always speaking about the RYTM as a drum-machine only so maybe my post can’t suit you if you use it as global groovebox. And people can disagree with me of course :slight_smile:

3 Likes

A tip for more volume: make sure you don’t have legacy fx send enabled in the sound settings and make sure the fx track level itself is up along with reverb vol setting…

3 Likes

Dude, yes. I wasn’t aware of this setting. Killer!

No offense taken. I’m aware it’s me that is not programming it well, which is why I asked for tips. I wasn’t throwing shade on the product. :confused:

What I’m lacking is the ability to lose a sound into a washed reverb. What I’ve gotten from the Rytm so far is tame and safe. I’ll be playing with the send settings… i think that’s what i was lacking.

1 Like

Very cool idea. Thanks!

2 Likes

You right there’s gain staging and send/return level on every page so… that’s need focus and learn to get the most of it

i’m quite aware of gain staging. the point was about pre and post compressor setting, which i didn’t see.

2 Likes

Washed reverb… hmm… Have you tried disabling SEND TO MAIN of a voice while still enabling it’s SEND TO FX? This way, you’ll only get the 100% reverbrated mix of the sound from the master outs…

I also recommend plocking and using the FX track LFO creatively for more reverb experiments. And yes, the pre/post switch on the master dist page is very useful!

A pity the delay section has such granular delay time values, you could pull off nicer mooreverb style sounds from it…

3 Likes

More on legacy fx send:
If you are using an old project from before the new fx send levels, the legacy send box will be checked on every sound. The setting is per sound. New kits in new projects have the box unchecked. I’m not sure about new kits in old projects…

2 Likes

:heart: you just made my evening with this eye-opener

1 Like

So they changed something about the way sends work, thus the update where they made old projects use ‘legacy fx send’ as mentioned above… but what exactly did they change?

It seemed like just a bug fix but they didn’t specify how.

The fx send level was increased with the update. In order to maintain the levels set in previous projects before the update, sounds made before the update have “legacy fx send” checked by default.

1 Like

Could you please clarify this a little bit more, if I may ask?

1 Like

oops…

I’m also intrested in a bit more detailed description of how to do this. :- )

1 Like

Yeah, getting more extreme reverb sounds tends to be a bit of an fiddly Easter egg hunt for various parameters all over the place. It’s like looking for your socks around the house and finding them in the dishwasher, some under the dining table, and a few in the chimney. Very intuitive. Makes sense to me! :smirk:

Make your kick and set the reverb send all the way up.
Go to the fx track and make it four steps long.
Set the reverb decay on very long.
Place a trig on one and plock the reverb volume to like 80%.
Place a trig on 3 and plock the volume to like 30%.
Make both slide trigs.
Play with micro timing on the trigs.
Play with the eq and everything else.

1 Like