Rytm mkII pads bug

I had the same, had to send the unit in for repair.

2 Likes

Hmm, for what it’s worth it might be an Over ridge beta software bug. I do have the latest beta OS update installed, and funnily enough after turning it off yesterday and coming back today it seems to have fixed itself. Will keep an eye on it though.

There is some „film“ underneath the pads, which seems to be related to this. My repair notice mentioned some film. Considering several related cases, I would be surprised if it hs something to do with the OS beta. But if it works for you, then it works :slight_smile: Best

I just got a new Rytm mkII and one of my pads exhibits this problem in Mute mode.
Here’s my take on the issue, and I’ve suggested this to Elektron Support as well.

So I noticed in Play mode how the pads have unique response to tapping and pressure/aftertouch. If I gently push a pad it will not play a sound, it is just generating pressure data - and it is extremely sensitive to this. You have to “tap” with a certain amount of velocity to actually trigger a note.

I’ve also noticed that on the particular pad that is a problem for me (4 CP), in Mute mode even the slightest brush of my finger on it will mute that pad. I don’t even have to press at all. It’s almost like static electricity is being transferred through the pad. Other pads don’t do this when barely touched, only that one.

I think it is the pressure sensitivity that creates the problem in Mute mode. If an adjacent pad gets moved even the slightest amount when pressing another pad, that tiny bit of pressure data is triggering a mute on the second pad. At least that’s how I perceive the problem.

This could be fixed within the OS, if Mute mode just ignored pressure data (or at least, ignored the smallest amounts of pressure data). And they could even set a minimum tap velocity that is required to mute a pad (set it very low, so you don’t have to bang on them). This would mean the user would have to be aware that a tap is needed to mute the pad, just like they are trying to trigger a sound in Play mode. Or it could even be an optional setting in the OS, to set up your preferred Mute behavior and minimum tap velocity settings.

What does everyone else think about this?

3 Likes

I have this problem

Yes I have try…;and the dysfunction stay. But the strange thing is that it changes pad it’s not always the same dysfunctional place for that I think it’s a bug not material because when I play it the sound works perfectly
:thinking:

Open up a ticket, i read somewhere that the cause to this could be a defective foil which is glued behind the pad matrix…

Was tempted to buy a RYTM MK II yesterday when one popped up for a very good price on eBay - however these threads are so common that I grabbed a Octa MK II instead.

These repairs must be costing Elektron a lot. Anybody know if they have fixed the problems with better production??? I really can’t be doing with the “potential” of sending multiples units back like many here have. I think one guys has sent back 4 which indicates its not exactly a low number / probability.

I presume Elektron have not really talked much about these ongoing issues.

I was told by Elektron that any units made in late 2018 and beyond are free of pad issues. I had two that had the problem; it was very sporadic on one, more frequent on the other. They say the pad issue is a simple fix, but it seems that a few people have had multiple returns.

I purchased my current ARMKII directly from Elektron, after being assured that it would have a 2019 manufacture date.

For any who don’t know, the manufacture date is printed on the label on the bottom, in year/week format. It’s also in the serial number, with the year 17, 18 or 19 followed by the week, 01 - 52.

3 Likes

…have you received it yet and, being an experienced user of the ARmkII machines, are you free of issues as far as you can tell. I was about to buy one directly from them. I typically try to buy direct from elektron so they reap the profit - they are a good company.

Thank you

No issues so far. I have had the new ARMKII for a few weeks now. I have loaded a previous project, a bunch of sound packs and I’ve updated to the beta OS. I will soon dig into Overbridge and see how that works. If any issues come up, I will report.

Thank you. Good to hear. I may grab one direct as well.

https://youtu.be/jyvShQPfyYI

Hi everyone !!) I had a problem indicated on the video, mutation channels worked when I clicked on neighboring tracks ((I’ve been using the rhythm for about 2 years … One engineer told me the solution … Since there’s no guarantee anymore, I decided to crack)) I unscrewed the back cover of 10 bolts, and loosened 15 bolts on the board near the pads (pictured right). this weakened the board’s adherence to the case, but not much … Then I glued each bolt with insulation (dielectric) in case they untwisted, there would be no closure … The problem with the pads is gone, everything works fine)) I hope this helps you in such a situation)) Good luck to everyone in your work !!

1 Like

elektron rytm is a real heavy hitter.

I’m having this same issue on my 2nd RYTM MKII now (on the latest Beta FW). It’s exactly like this, same pad(s) involved and everything. It happens all the time! :frowning:

I thought the calibration had cleaned this trouble for me, but it didn’t… Seems like my AR mk2 will see Sweden again.

Can you please let me know how that goes for you because I’m in the same boat right now where I really can’t part with this machine but I’m not sure what to do. I’ll be contacting Elektron support soon, I suppose.

I’m about to RMA my Rytm MKII for the same issue. Wamp wamp.

It is tempting to just open up the unit and mess with the pads inside but I’m doubtful the issue is with how the pads sit in the unit. If that were the case, this behaviour should be reproducible in non mute modes, but I was never able to get double triggering just by playing the sounds. Besides, the MK2 isn’t 3 years old yet, so we should all have warranty to cover this.

1 Like

any clarity on this?

1 Like

My Rytm is back from Sweden.
No more pad bug, it feels so good :thup:

4 Likes