Rytm mkii or Digitakt? Selling my NI gear this week

I had NI Maschine like you, Studio first and Mk3 after, all sold.

I now have a Digitone and I like it, I then got a second hand Digitakt I tried it but I did not like it much a lot as using it as a drum machine.

I then got an AR MK2 and I really love the analog sound, the combinations of synth and samples, the analog overdrive and compressor.

Having said that, I found using and programming Digitakt super quick, much quicker than Rytm, and DT integrates very well with Digitone.

The sample management on Rytm is not great and coming from Maschine I noticed I was missing a lot the speed of managing and assigning samples and the Maschine workflow.

Furthermore the pads on Rytm are really inferior to Maschine, so for finger drumming it is definitely not good.

1 Like

Appreciate all the feedback from everyone, and the feedback on Maschine pads vs Rytm pads (shame that pads aren’t high fidelity from what you mentioned). On “As a standalone device I feel it (AR) has more to offer than DT, even though it’s not by a huge margin.” - if it’s not a huge margin, I’m thinking to go with DT for quicker programming, lighter on the wallet, and learn the workflow and then decide on AR or not.

Current thinking is to get a DT, pick up a Akai MPD 218 for pads (or use my iPad), play around with integration on Logic Pro X and Minilogue XD. Also considering a digital recorder or even a TE PO-35 to bring in samples.

Let me add that “huge” off course is highly subjective and that the difference in price is worth it for some and not for others. Either way, at some point you’ll start lusting for the other one anyway.

1 Like

Totally agree on that. I’m still ping ponging b/w AR and DT honestly.

I’ve see just now you specific question, sorry.
AR is a great machine, the reason because of I sell it was the sound.
For me it was too fat, but for the same reason lot of us love it.
Also samples processed by analog filter didn’t sound as I want, I prefer digital way.
It’s an opinion based on what sound I like.
In synthesis area I found AR a little bit limited (I play drum sound from a Nord Drum 2 that is a totally different gear- no comparison - but with it you can create lot of sounds not only percussive).
But with AR you can work with synth and samples at the same time and it’s interesting.
Listen both and feel what you prefer.
In the feature area, as someone wrote, AR has more (performance, scene, pads ecc.)

2 Likes

Check the MPD226, it’s the smallest MPD with midi out. I use it with the DT and work very well. I made some scales preset for the MPD226. it’s cool to play bassline :slight_smile:
Alsa the MPD226 can be powered by power outlet and allow you to be totally computer-less.

1 Like

Personally, I like the synthesis options of the Rytm, but enjoy using the DT more. (sequencing, menus, button layout, etc.) The Digi interfaces are incredibly fast to get around on. At least they are for me. That said, I’m thoroughly enjoying my current Rytm, so it’s not as though it’s at all deficient. It’s great. I actually want to add a Digitakt back into my setup sometime soon, so honestly, “BOTH” is the real answer. :smiley:

Sort of agree and disagree with the above post!:see_no_evil:

From a purely tactile point of view and entirely subjective…

But for me I prefer working on the AR II. I love my Digitone and wouldn’t part with if for anything but the larger work surface of the AR works better for me. I got a M:S last week for jamming on and using maybe as another drum machine but given my love of the DN I too could imagine adding a DT to the stable one day.

1 Like

I can see both sides to this. Like I said, it’s not that I mind the larger interfaces, and yes, more immediate controls are nice in the case of the AR / A4 / OT, etc. However, I think they tailored the functionality to match the smaller interface of the Digis very well. My fingers just glide faster over the smaller set of controls than on the larger machines, but yes, definitely subjective. The larger machines are deeper in functionality, and really wouldn’t work as well with the smaller Digi interface style.

Also, I just picked up a Digitone Keys, and the extra controls on that are VERY nice additions.

I think I just like the Digi package overall for what I can get out of them quickly and easily. There are definitely those that benefit from the depth of the larger boxes.

Congrats on the Digitone keys! I’d love one, really struggling to justify it tho given I’ve already got the desktop and I’m not looking for more than 4 simultaneous tracks of DN at the mo. Doesn’t stop Me GASsing for one tho! Especially as ‘playing’ the DN buttons, for me, is one of its weaker points when I want to write parts. Much prefer a keybed.

See what I’m up against?:see_no_evil::see_no_evil::joy:

1 Like

That’s exactly why I got it. The buttons are “usable” but not what I’d call friendly for just playing, or tapping in some chords. My focus shifted a little. When I had the desktop, I was mainly doing more sound design, and then just sequencing single sounds. Now I want to use it for spacey chords and slightly more complex sequences, which the keys really help with. Plus, I seem to have sold all my other keyboard synths, and needed to have at least a few keys around. :smiley:

2 Likes

On my keys I find I hover over the left section and use the buttons a fair amount when designing a sound. Then I move to the keys to play and record the sound and add more modulations. I really like it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for that! Going to scour multiple sites on Black Friday. Selling my NI gear tomorrow. :wink:

1 Like

Im in that camp that used to own a RYTM MK1 (then later MK2) and realized that I really wasn’t feeling the hat engines - there just weren’t enough adjustable parameters (too many dead knobs). You could layer samples over it (which is sort of the point) but coming from using a Tempest and Alpha Base, it just felt like there was something missing in terms of synthesis options.

Ultimately I realized that I mostly used the RYTM for it’s low end “oomph” (which is pretty much 4 of the 8 voices: BD, BT, LT, MT/HT), so I decided to try using my Analog Keys instead and it did such an impressive job that I ended up selling the RYTM MK2 and picked up a Digitakt instead - the pairing has been the best of everything for my needs: the AK pretty much handles my analog drums which get sampled into the Digitakt, which frees up the Analog Keys for stuff like pads, leads, bass, etc. Even with 4 voices, you can get alot of milage from each track using sound locks.

The recent update enabling MIDI sequencing just further adds icing to the cake (the 4 note MIDI sequencing would pair well with your Minilogue XD). Overall I feel the Analog Keys provides a wealth of sound shaping options over the RYTM, though when it comes to immediacy the RYTM provides quicker results given its more focused emphasis on drum sounds.

Anyhow just my opinion, I’ve really been digging this combination and feels it provides a very comprehensive spread of functionality. I’m sure this approach would work equally well with the Digitone and you’d gain midi LFOs to do weird stuff on the Minilogue if you wanted.

1 Like

You’re not wrong about the A4/AK being great for drums. Especially (IMO) with the pitched digital noise. That can add a ton to a percussive sound, and makes it quite controllable. I still really like the Rytm though, and find the Rytm+A4 pair is great for percussion.

1 Like

For sure, and though I’m sure its been shared numerous times before - Daren Ager’s Druma sound bank provides a solid idea of what types of sounds you can coax out of the A4/AK:

That said, I’m tempted at times to buy the RYTM MK2 again and see how I gel with it these days, it’s been a year since I’ve owned one and the latest update from Elektron was phenomenal.

2 Likes

I think something else to consider is Rytm has kits and you can have them run over multiple patterns, on the DT you have to set up the kit on every pattern…
I much prefer the Rytm way.

If the price is not a problem, seriously would recommend the Rytm,
But reckon you will happy with either one

I didn’t know that about that you have to setup kits for every pattern on DT. That definitely makes the Rytm more appealing!

One of the final things I’m trying to sort out is integration with Logic Pro X and how things are going now vs last year. I’ve read loads of articles on sync issues, midi problems, etc, so just curious if tracks show up seamlessly with Overbridge or if it’s a total crapshoot using Logic.

You can duplicate the whole pattern then clear the trigs,
but if you adjust anything like volume etc it will have to be done to each different pattern.
The Rytm will change in every pattern unless you don’t want it to,
and you can assign a new kit to the pattern…

Overbridge works well in ableton with multitrack recording, no idea about logic or other daws.
One thing You do have to deal with 4 choke groups on the Rytm .
The digitakt doesn’t have them, but you have great performance features on the Rytm

Best to test them both in the shop If you can…
the Rytm is a lot more expensive and the digitakt is very similar to the Rytm in many ways …
they are both good imo

Thanks! Unfortunately no shops in Philly have these guys around regularly. :frowning: Would have to purchase/test within a 45 day period to see if I gel. Will hold for now till 2020 (after winter NAMM). I’m still in learning phase on Logic, so will spend some time there (definitely enough to keep me busy). Have Minilogue XD so can use that for multiple duties. I ping ponged on Elektron gear for a while now, which tells me I’m on the fence. So de-gas’d for now.

If anyone knows where to find this stuff in Philly so I can check out first hand, let me know!

2 Likes