Rytm mkI freeze

Just had my rytm freeze up while rehearsing for a live set. I was working on a kit and had just saved a kit and it locked up. Any ideas ? I’m swapping it out for the tr8s for the set though.

OS 1.46beta1

Maybe there’s another OS I’m missing?

Keyword: beta. That means it may not be stable, it is released for user testing. I seem to recall that it’s possible to downgrade if you have the older OS files, but alas I do not.

Somewhere (I think it was in the private beta) the question came up if the beta firmware version(s) can be safely used in a live show.

An Elektron employee wrote something along these lines: don’t do it. These versions are work-in-progress and it’s part of the beta tests to get them stable.

So, yeah, as @barnacles wrote: don’t use beta versions if you need a stable system (read: for a live show).

Yeah yeah I get what you’re saying. I’m swapping it out for the tr8s. My actual question is has anyone experienced these freezes and what do you think the cause is?

Yep, mine freezes from time to time randomly…

1 Like

same here also had used beta and got random freezes
switched back to latest stable and freeze were gone

Same here.
FX track LED suddenly stopped registering on FX button press - menu still changes.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I’ve had at least three freezes with the newest update (non-beta), before that I think it happened once or twice over about 2+ years of ownership. it’s never happened while I was recording, but it’s worrying.

Yeah for me it’s an indispensable tool but I don’t think I can trust it live (obviously doubly so with a beta os)

1 Like

Interesting opinion. Quite sad really.

Trigger warning of an opinion that I am entitled to have, and that anyone is entitled to disagree with, but not disallow.

That is a terrible indictment of a commercially available musical instrument aimed at the kind of market it is and the philosophy of the company who produced it.

I’ve had it occur during multiple live sets. I’m currently not taking out for any live sets (wanted to mix up my set anyway) but when I do again it’ll always be with another machine or two as a safety net. Sort of a bummer as solo rytm sets are a lot of fun as well as convenient in that I can generally walk to a gig with just the rytm.

My MK1 has froze maybe 3 or 4 times in 4+ years. Most of them were when I was using overbridge, but also I think in scene edit mode… Hasn’t happened in a long time…

Yeah, 1.461 Beta is a bit buggy. Just downgrade your OS and you’ll be fine. I was testing it a week ago and had a similar issue. I was wondering at the time if it’s a recall issue when loading a saved kit?

1 Like

I’m glad for you.

Not using OB. I’m on 1.45.

I know you were being sarcastic or whatever but I’m not glad about it. I’ve never been on beta OS it’s been on supposedly stable versions, my hope is with later OS versions it will clear up. It hasn’t happened often but it has happened, so it can happen again… Not thrilled about it… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have also had MK1 freezes on the stable OS’s.