Rytm Mk2 users who switched from Mk1

Since I’m bored of complaining about the status of OB2 … Rytm 2 users who switched from Mk1, how often are you actually using the direct sampling now that you have the feature? Are you really utilizing it? Any regrets upgrading to Mk2?

I am sad that I can’t sample with trigs like I can on octatrack and machinedrum so forget about flawles resampling of loops, I’ve been sampling one shots from all over the place to keep myself happy about the new sampling feature and that’s pretty much how far it goes for me. I am also happy that I can finaly drop samples into mk2 in large quantities using transfer app but I am pretty tight about the fact that my mk1s stil don’t have that app after 4 years of waiting, specially because they don’t sample, I mean what the hell were people at elektron thinking…Yep let’s give the machine with sampling a transfer app but keep people with machines that don’t sample hanging…great decision whos ever that was.

My idea of having mk2 with sampling was to simply resample tracks into loops that I don’t have to edit much and can mix and match later using scenes in ableton, not working out right now, I’ve tried multi tracking 1 rytm into ableton and using push to record loops from each track and that worked out great but is very unstable, that is why I bought rytm mk2, hopefully I will be able to track out mk2 into ableton with more success, if I do I am planning to take all my project from mk1 rytms, drop them into mk2 and track them out as loops into ableton, this way I will have every pattern and kit I ever made tracked out as a loop and can mix and match everything from everywhere.
At the moment I do regret getting mk2 because I could have bought octatrack and machinedrum off Craigslist for same price and kept them always together but I don’t regret it enough to sell my mk2 because of it sounds fatter, cleaner and better as rytm mk1 to my ears.

4 Likes

I thought I would never really use the sampling functionality of the MKII myself, but it actually ended up being one of my favorite things about the AR. Very easy to quickly grab sounds from external synths to add to my grooves. Downside as mentioned is no way to easily create your own perfectly trimmed loops that way, which was a bit of a shame.

4 Likes

wait what do you mean cant resample with trigs?

You know how on octatrack or machinedrum can place a trig on first step and it will start recording when that trig is triggered, this is easier way to record perfect loops, mk2 sampling feature does NOT have that option, I’ve read the manual and knew that it could not do that before buying the machine but i hope that they will make it possible in next few years to do just that, and then I will be super happy :]

1 Like

No recorder trigs lke OT has them. Sampling proess is identical to the one on DT.

4 Likes

On octatrack the sampling is tied to the sequencer, you have trigs to record and you can access the “recorder buffers” which are sort of like placeholders to make sequences out of recordings before you even record, it plays them from RAM. This makes it capable of live realtime looping and worlds more other realtime crazy sampling/playback tricks…

DT and AR you get a sampling feature but it’s separate from the sequencer so you have to save it to be able to then make sequences with it… Doesn’t work for live looping or realtime sample tricks…

2 Likes

Wow, I still have my mk1, was really surprised to hear about the no recorder trigs.

1 Like

I‘m owning Rytm MK1 and a DT,
what now is a kind of Rytm MK2 in one box as it feels … (sure not)

They both do a damn good job while connecting and syncing a medium large Modular system.

One thing that realy kills me is recording precise loops on DT which will be the same behavior like on Rytm MK2. recording by threshold mostly doesn‘t make me happy!
recording manualy is more pain because of no sample view zoom in and no zero crossing snap
:man_facepalming::man_facepalming:

I would love to see the DT (and Rytm MK2)
recording on transport start :heart_eyes:
or elektronlikely trig based record start/stop.
to be honest, this function is not such a big coding
deal!

summary:

• trig or transport based record start/stop
  • zero snap function
  • sample view zoom in

kind of feature request comment :crazy_face:

2 Likes

I agree with this 100%
Plus we need overdub style recording where we can leave recorded buffer to sample continuously as it loops while we record new sounds into the buffer from the machine, but trig recording is highest priority, only solution I found is to record into machinedrum and then send sample to rytm thru midi, too bad you can’t edit existing samples on rytm mk2 :frowning:

Well…they can just create another sequencer track dedicated to to recorded buffer that will be responsible for starting the recording just the way it is with octatrack where you have separate sequencer for buffer recording and separate sequencer track for triggering the sample, I am ok with having to save the sound before using it but I am not ok with not being able to record timed loops, like i said, I knew rytm mk2 could not do that but its in my highest hopes that down the line this feature will be implemented, it does not seem to be difficult but I have no idea about how difficult it is or not to implement these kind of features but it is definitely handy and will make sampling of rytm mk2 a richer feature.

Example…when you are in the recording buffer the sequencer should then switch to the dedicated sequencer of the recording buffer and if you place a trig on the first step the recording can be triggered when the step is hit and end at the length you set, or record again if the trig is still in place.

The loop-recording trigger is implemented on the MachineDrum, which is 15 year old! I can’t understand why such a fundamental feature is not included in products advertised as samplers (DT and AR MKII) in 2018. A decent sampler also does timestretch and auto-region. The more I look at the new releases, the more I’m interested in older Elektron machines.

3 Likes

Don’t forget the workaround with rytm mk1 plus MD uw. Gives you triggered sampling capability and transfer via midi.

5 Likes

its funny, I bought the RYTM originally after playing with my buddy’s Machinedrum where I assumed the “new” incarnation of their drum machine would absolutely carry over this functionality given it has an input. I was soooo disappointed when I dug into the manual and realized this wasn’t possible. this was a few years ago. Still love my RYTM but totally agree. It is such a bummer.

Yeah I was thinking maybe I should go eurorack when it comes to doing sampling stuff instead of a DT

damn, this is exactly what I’ve been wanting

1 Like

wow OK, I just understood what you meant. This makes me not even want a Rytm 2 as recording perfect loops would be such a pain in the ass, I’m not even sure Id use this feature