Rytm MK2 encoder sensitivity issues

It has probably been mentioned here before but the encoder sensitivity on a lot of parameters is crazy sensitive on the MK2. Dialling in specific parameters could be a lot more user friendly imho. Currently you end up overshooting all the time which is quite annoying.

These are the issues i have found so far:

• Tempo encoder is crazy sensitive. Smooth tempo changes using the encoder is not possible (this was a lot better on the MK1).
  • Removing parameter locks (pushing the encoder) needs a larger dead zone. Doesn’t always register (also better on MK1).
  • Dialling in parameter default values (Funk + encoder) cold be less sensitive.

And general parameters that are just too sensitive:

• Trig condition
  • Filter type
  • LFO multiplier.
  • LFO waveform.
  • LFO mode.
  • Compressor Attack
  • Compressor Release
  • Compressor Ratio

Basically all parameters with a shorter possible range are currently too sensitive (including parameters with a short range on the different synthesis pages).

Lets hope Elektron is adressing this in a future update.

13 Likes

Hey Petur,

I completely agree.

Maybe we should create a support ticket to address this.

1 Like

I don’t think the encoder behavior can be fixed with OS update. The solution to this issue is to use mk1 versions of Elektron instruments. In mk2 they changed to ”higher resolution” encoders (which I suspect means lower cost) and they behave the way they do…

Agreed, way too sensitive. And of course it can be changed in an OS update. Mapping of an encoder output to a parameter is a software thing.

6 Likes

I wonder why it hasn’t been done then despite being complained since release? If the encoder outputs values too sensitively, it can be difficult if not impossible to fix completely in software.

Those encoders just send values, like way travelled. You just have a to translate these values in your software. That those encoders have a higher resolution should make this even an easier task to tame the fast changing values in the UI.

1 Like

There was nothing wrong with the resolution of the old encoders. They were very precise. In my experience the new encoders are way less precise.

The encoders send values, but it’s not just the way traveled. It’s also dependent of the movement speed and that is where the new encoders seem to have issues that are hard to fix in software. They can’t just tame the behavior based on how the values change on one turning speed since the values change differently when the encoder is turned with different speed. So in the end, it’s a hardware issue first and foremost.

I understand your point. The speed results from the values beeing send faster. Anyway, I assume that those encoder do their job right and have to be properly programmed. You assume that those encoders do not behave right or are not the best ones for the task or even are faulty.

Whatever the truth is, it cant be found by our assumption but only by measuring their output.

Just as a small annotation: Waldorf fixed most Blofelds jumpy encoders by their lastest firmware update. Sure, they could not fix faulty ones which also some Blofelds suffered from.

I can open up a support ticket to hear Elektrons story.

Ticket opened, they are back next year on Januar 2nd…

1 Like

If I’m not mistaken, the DT had this issue as well, and it was addressed in a later OS update.

4 Likes

I’ll do the same.

1 Like

Full ACK, the encoder bahaviour is pure shit on my Analog Rytm MK2.
It’s nearly impossible to change the values from 1 to 0 or from 66 to 67.
The acceleration does not work properly.

2 Likes

Indeed

Depends on what parameter you adjust with it
For some ot works, for others it is an always returning issue

It will be better soon, I think

Even on older MK1 machines, Analog Rytm for example, the encoder settings are translated too sensitive on certain menu pages.

In his initial post, Petur already listed the problematic settings.

While some menu pages are perfectly fine and just feel right, on others, it’s completely oversensitive, like when selecting the filter type, than what we were used to from the silver machines.

It’s just a little change that has to be made to the firmware, it can be easily fixed via software. Same thing happened to the Ableton Push 2 when it was new and was later changed via firmware, when enough people were complaining and asking for it.

When opening up a ticket, please refer to this thread, guys.

On A4 mk2 there used to be similar difficulties with encoders. They were addressed with later OS.
I am know used to these new encoders, and never push a knob anymore. It feels great, and mk1 feels pretty slow to me now.

1 Like

I just took some time and went through my Rytm MK1 menus to check which menu locations seem to be a bit problematic.

In the following list, I’ll only mention the menus that, in my opinion, need revision. The other settings to me are totally fine. Also, values that only offer two choices (i. e. Delay PingPong: Yes/No) won’t be listed. In these cases, the encoders being too sensitive is no usability issue, since turning an encoder into the opposite direction chooses the opposite value (yes -> no), which follows the intention of the user.

Trig Page:

• Note: Too sensitive
  • Trig Condition: A bit too sensitive

Synth Page:
(see engine pages below)

Sample Page:

• Tune: Since movement here happens in semitones, this could be a bit less sensitive
  • Sample List: Too sensitive
  • Start: Totally Fine (I know that people were asking for more precision, but that is another issue)
  • End: Totally Fine (I know that people were asking for more precision, but that is another issue)

Filter Page:

• Filter Type: Too sensitive

LFO Page (both):

• Multiplier: Too sensitive
  • Destination: Too sensitive
  • Waveform: Too sensitive
  • Trig Mode: Too sensitive

Compressor Page:

• Attack (ms): Too sensitive
  • Release (s): Too sensitive
  • Comp. Ratio: Too sensitive!
  • Sidechain EQ: Too sensitive!!

BD Hard:

• Tune: Since movement here happens in semitones, this could be a bit less sensitive
  • Waveform: Super Sensitive, please fix! There are only 3 values to choose from, touching the knob slightly already results in reaching the maximum and minimum value.

BD Classic:

• Waveform: Super Sensitive, please fix! There are only 3 values to choose from, touching the knob slightly already results in reaching the maximum and minimum value.
  • Transient: Too sensitive!

BD Sharp:

• Waveform: too sensitive

Dual VCO:

• Osc Config: Too sensitive!

CY Ride:

• Cymbal Type: Too sensitive

BT Classic:

• Snap: Too sensitive

Maybe someone with a Mk2 can go through these and see if it’s an issue, too?

3 Likes

Reply from Elektron support is that it will be tuned in a future OS.

8 Likes

I also got an answer from support (Christian). He said he forwarded the issue to the developers and that I also could mail a feature request to a specific feature request adress… I will do so…

3 Likes

I think the encoders on the MkII are too loose to begin with, that’s not fixable. I noticed it as soon as I got mine because I was used to the tension on the Heat’s encoders. I think if they were more firm it would be easier to slowly go thru the menu of whatever setting you’re adjusting. Hopefully they do fix it with an update though, I guess i’ll just deal with the super light encoders.

Hmm, still no update … quite disappointing.

2 Likes