RYTM mk1 encoders

I just picked up a used RYTM MK1 to go along with my Octatrack MK2.

In testing out the RYTM, I noticed the encoder response is terrible. On the Octatrack, I can spin the encoders as fast as I like and the Octatrack has no problem keeping up, but on this RYTM, if I spin the encoders even moderately quickly, the values don’t keep up, and even sometimes move in the opposite direction! Is that just how the MK1 was, or does it sound like I got a worn out unit?

No, that’s not normal behavior. The encoders should respond similarly to how they do on your OT.

If you’ve had some practice soldering, elektron machines are pretty easy to work on and the replacement parts are cheap… However, I wouldn’t recommend that to someone with no prior soldering experience - in that case, I’d recommend taking it to a local repair shop.

[edited] I just remembered this thread below, you can try this if you’re feeling adventurous:

Octatrack MKI encoder issue - jumping values - Elektron Gear / Octatrack - Elektronauts

1 Like

Does anyone know of a tech in the UK that could fix/replace skipping encoders, and service a Rytm and OT mk1? I can of course send to Elektron but the shipping costs are +++ now and I think you have to pay 2x import duties on the value of the goods too.
I’m in Manchester UK.
No electronics experience so not confident pulling it to bits myself.