Rytm has a burned LCD

Yes, i did this a few days ago by standing the open a4 like yours on the side / vertical. so i could let the board plugged in and unscrew the board from the faceplate without something crashing. Quite easy. no fear, just unscrew, put the faceplate apart and adjust the trimmer (i did adjusting while the a4 was powered so i can see the effect on the display - be careful and don´t touch anything inside)

I just tried it and the internal screws are really tight. I’ll get some Philips connectors for my electronic screwdriver and I’ll report back in a few days…

Meanwhile I’ll leave it on. I noticed that in Test Mode the display seems to be trying to expand to the area that is blank on the LCD test and I might leave it there for a few hours… Mine has been sleeping for 2 years before this problem lol.

I opened it up and no trimmers on the inside back of the board… only twi tips at the side of the LCD, are those the trimmers?
edit: found it… I messed so much with the tips at the right, I hope I didn’t damage anything. the contrast pot is at the bottom left of the picture. display is not 100%, there is some colour difference, but I guess I’m gonna save the shipping to Sweden… thanks alot

2 Likes

Done and working fine!!! Thanks!

2 Likes

My AR mk1 display also developed severe discoloration on the right side.
Will open it tonight and try to adjust the contrast trimmer, hopefully this should do it.
If that can’t solve the issue will just order a replacement from Elektron along with some encoders to fix my OT.

1 Like

I have the same problem… @Skope could you report the result?

Thx so far

It’s like new… adjusted the contrast trimmer to max (all pixels black) and then slowly turning it back…no more LCD shadows.

And since got it opened also fixed the pads.

Thanks everyone and happy new year.

2 Likes

Unfortnunately my AR MK1 seems to also have the LCD cancer thing after some time spend in storage without use, I’m considering to take a look inside and try to adjust the contrast trimmer, do you have any recommandations concerning the procedure ?

Reviving an old thread as I seem to have encountered similar screen issues after taking my MK1 RYTM out of storage. Sounds like leaving it on for a while helps many users. Planning to start doing that, quick question for folks. When leaving it on are you leaving it on one of the parameter screens or are you leaving it on in test mode either blank or filled?

I just bought a second hand Analog Rytm MK1 which hasn’t been used in a couple of month and had dark spots as well on the display. This guide did the job and the screen is now good as new. I didn’t need to let the machine run over night nor did I use the test mode, as other users mentioned. Many thanks @esgibtsie!

I labored under this issue since I bought my Rytm used about 5 years ago, and it was getting progressively worse with a large section of the screen getting darker and darker

however i also simply removed the front panel, adjusted the internal contrast knob until it was much more readable… but then some weeks later after using it daily, the screen is now 100% perfect like new, as if it has healed itself or regenerated in some way

so thats encouraging if you also have this issue - its definitely worth a shot

7 Likes

I’m also experiencing a dark spot on my A4mk1 screen after lighter use.

I’ve left it on in test mode to burn in for 12hours now and there’s very very small improvement.

Has anyone else been able to remedy the issue by simply leaving it on for days? Or should I try the contrast knob option under the hood? Thank you all for sharing your experiences!

Leaving it on for days worked for me Probably worth trying before you have a go at some of the more involved solutions

That’s interesting, I have an almost identical smudge/burn- never though of leaving it on for days will try this weekend.

Hi All, I had this same issue with my ARmk1. While I hadn’t come across this thread and its recommendations for fixing this issue, it seems to have fixed itself over time. I too hadn’t fired the AR up for a bit and when I did I was very concerned about the dark smudge. Since then I’ve been using it regularly and it its now basically back to normal. So while I didn’t leave it on for a few days straight, I was back to working with it regularly/daily.

1 Like

The contrast adjustment improved the screen for me with my Analog Keys - real bitch to get to the adjustment pot - had to fully disassemble and reassemble a few times to get it legible - just needs a very subtle turn clockwise. Could do with one further tweak - but risk damage every time it’s apart.

Gah. My AK has been (essentially) in storage for about a year. …and now I have the same shadowing issue, right in the middle of the display. I can hardly read the text.

Rytm and A4 seem to have survived the experience better.

Only difference to the way they were stored, is that the AK was on its side.

Leave it plugged-in then do we reckon!?

Same here :frowning: after some months of storing…

Stop leaving your Elektron boxes unused it makes them sad

7 Likes

Some projects demand certain kit and not others I’m afraid. :slightly_smiling_face: