Rytm controlled by Octatrack's LFO/parameter lock?

Hi folks,

I recently wanted to try out controlling my AR (MKII) with my OT for a more interesting sound design (e.g. modulating pitch and panning simultaneously).

But somehow I can only send midi CCs to my AR when turning the corresponding knob on my OT.

When trying to parameter lock different values on the OT the information is not received on the AR. Same issue with the OT’s LFO.

Am I missing a step?

It would be awesome, if somebody knows an answer!!

cheers

1 Like

It should work if it works turning the knob.

Another midi track with same CC assignation on a midi track with lower number ?
Mutes ?
Solo ?

Tested, these conditions can explain why you can control only with the knob.
Shared parameters in tracks hierarchy is not documented. I can give more details if needed.

2 Likes

thanks a lot! now it works :slight_smile:

1 Like

:slight_smile: What was the problem? OT category related topic apparently. :wink:
Shared CCs on tracks with same midi channel muting higher number tracks behavior is annoying. It can be used creatively btw.

Another annoying thing to precise : consecutive CCs with same values are sent only once.
Ex : if you send CC35 with plocks having same value, like 64, the CC is sent only once with the trig played first.
AFAIK this is true for all CTLR1 and CTLR2 midi messages, and Program Changes (even with Part Changes).

I think the mutes, but I’m not sure :smiley:
Somehow it felt like without any initial trig the lfo was not working when unmuted either. However, after removing the trig the lfo still worked…

To your second hint: when does this annoy you, should be only a problem if you want to modulate the same parameter on both machines, right?

Which hint?
Which machines?

and I mean OT and AR not machines inside the OT

I guess you missunderstood me.
OT doesn’t send the same midi event consecutively (except notes, clock…).

Ex : I want to send CC35 with value 64 Channel 15 to the AR every bar, in order to set the 1st Perf to 64. That way I can mess with AR Perf 1, and every bar it is set to 64.

I plock that CC35 on the first step.
It is sent only once, because OT consider there is no need to send it anymore. :grimacing:
Workaround : send a different value just before.

Could you simultaneously send a PLocked value and a value through the LFO to the same CC#?

I can’t think of exactly why you would do this, maybe to create complicated pitch values or something. But just curious what would happen…

OT lfos modulate default value, plocked calues, (and scenes values).
If you don’t want lfo on certain steps, you can plock its depth to 0.
If you just want to modulate constantly, Hold parameter is important to reduce drastically sent midi data.

I mean I think I get most of that. I guess I’m wondering if, in the case of a CC value, would the PLOCK value take precedence over the LFO value? Would they effect each other?

So if the PLOCK value is set to say 10, and the LFO is set to HOLD and the value ends up being 40, would the value the parameter ends up as be 10, 40, or a value in between (say 25)?

Lfos modulate default values and plocked values similarly, in a bipolar way. Plocked values implies an offset.

Your example depends on lfo wave / depth.

With a square lfo, Depth 8, default value 64, sent values would be be 72 and 56.
If plocked value is 96, sent values would be 104 and 88.

1 Like