Rytm as a groovebox?

I would recommend the Analog Rytm over the Octatrack for you. It will be easier to learn, less frustrating, and you can do a lot of sample-based stuff with it. I bought my AR intending to use it exclusively for analog drum synthesis, but actually enjoy it more as a heavy-sounding sample mangler/sequencer. It’s a lot deeper than people realise, and has a lot of great live-performance features. And it sounds AMAZING.

I think for techno AR is perfect. Also you can load a bunch of breakbeats to do jungle etc.

Good idea to get an OT later, as AR and OT complement each other brilliantly.

2 Likes

If you’re into techno, you’re interested in a groovebox format and you like the idea of the Elektron workflow, then +1 from me that you should check out Syntakt as well as the AR. Syntakt doesn’t sample but it is one hell of a package for all that (plus pair it with a Digitakt and you get a ton of capabilities in two small-ish boxes).

Check out the techno demos on Syntakt on YT, it’s an incredible box.

Not saying AR would be a bad option either BTW, far from it, it’s also a great bit of kit.

3 Likes

hey! welcome, you have very good english! very easy to read and follow along :slightly_smiling_face:

I personally only own both of the Models series of Elektron grooveboxes, the cheapest in their product line, and I usually only use one of them at a time. I find I can compose full and interesting songs on them with just the 6 tracks because of the wonderful Elektron sequencer! You can place multiple different kinds of sounds on just one track, such as letting your Kick and High Hats live on one track together, or a bass sound that jumps up into a high lead sometimes.

I know someone who uses the Rytm to make whole tracks and it sounds fuckin AWESOME, a lot of the drum synthesis machines can be pushed away from percussive sounds and into melodic synth tones, or you can get fancy with the sampler and layer samples and synthesis on the same track!

Octatrack can do similar things but is much deeper in sampling and stacking the digital effects, whereas the Rytm is a much more simple sampler but has analog synthesis and some analog effects like the compressor and distortion on the master output which are very cool.

If you want to tweak your sounds on the fly and slowly build up your sound design as you’re composing, the Rytm is for you. If you have a lot of other synths to sample or you want to work with a library of sample selections and compose that way, the Octratrack would be a good choice.

2 Likes

This performance is absolutely masterful. Bravo!

2 Likes

I have both. Both mk1. From what I read from you I would also say rytm fits your needs better.

1 Like

with AR you would have overbridge in addition to analog engines with samples, or individual outs, meaning you can record 8 separate voices of 12 tracks and mix and process them to your liking in ableton, with OT you would be limited to 4 (you can utilize cues as outs right?) so mixing of everything would need to be in the box which is a point to consider.

from another pov, OT will handle loops much better with timestretch and slicing, not impossible with AR but would require substantial work to get things done.

they are too different to compare though, each has strengths and weaknesses that are not really comparable.

I own AR but I definitely see myself getting OT at some point for stereo samples, mangling, dj style transitions, etc.

of course each is capable of producing tracks on their own, or even albums.

btw check this guy doing amazing stuff with AR

3 Likes

btw, that xuiqen album, Moiré | Xuiqen | DETROIT UNDERGROUND , was made by two people; one w/a rytm, and the other with a digitakt. rhythm is a dancer, though

2 Likes

indeed, but down the thread he says they broke up because his roommate moved to another state or something and there is some of his solo stuff

1 Like

As someone who owns both, I’ll come in. The Rytm does have 3 DVCO tracks. And while they sound excellent, it’s worth keeping in mind that they have limited range and tracking can be an issue, especially for the FM engines. The Rytm is an awesome groovebox, you can easily make tracks with just that if you can be flexible, you just may have to adjust your expectations.

The OT is a beast at sample making, but you have to feed it to get the most out of it. And while you can do synthesis with it, it’s best as a sampler/looper. As @MichalHo upthread aptly stated, they can both do both but…

Rytm: synthesis > sampling
OT: sampling > synthesis

4 Likes

Syntakt Hihat and Ride sucks, i vote for Analog Rytm, its more flexible with the performance macro you can make the beat alive. It demands dedication, its not like the TR8s, you need to sink time into it. And you can select the sounds /samples you need from your libary. Syntakt has some good sides aswell, but it needs a pairing with a sampler. With Rytm its a more contained solution.

1 Like

If you just want one groovebox I would go with rytm. OT is fun as well, but Its better when in plays with other stuff naturally. It samples.

3 Likes

I’m pleasently surprised by the love the AR is getting in this thread! I always felt like it is kind of considered an underdog to the OT on this forum.

I own both and the AR is my favorite machine of all time. To me it is the greatest all in one groovebox to use as a standalone machine next to a daw, because it is great at the things daws are bad at:
-great hands on workflow and sequencing
-limitations which spark creativity
-analog synthesis
-analog filters, drive, distortion and compression
-great performance features (scenes, perf mode, slide trigs, etc)
-amazing sound

On the other hand daws are good at the things the AR is bad at:
-clean sound
-endless tracks, polyphony, sounds
-endless fx
-very detailed sample chopping
-stereo samples

The OT to me is more like a replacement for a daw, so it works better as a centerpiece along lots of other machines. As a standalone groovebox I’d suggest the AR over the OT, but I’d also advice you to look into the DT as well, as it is very much like the AR, minus some of its benefits (analog synthesis, kits, indiv outs etc) but also minus some of its quirks (weird workarounds, clicks, sometimes too heavy sound). If you know how to use the DT, you know how to use the AR, so you can always upgrade down the line.

13 Likes

Wow!!! Im overwhelmed by the responses and the welcoming :)!

I will read and reply to all the comments tomorrow!, i have a final oral examination tomorrow for a study ive been working on:)! Once im done ill reply asap :D!

1 Like

If you want you can write a little about what style you make and how you work. Maybe that will help finding the best machine.

1 Like

I only opened this thread to check if it was just me experiencing this haha… every time I scrolled past it…

1 Like

It’s far less complicated than Ableton.
the OT is kind of like a simplified Live Lite in a way.

The RYTM is a great machine, however it’s much more simple.
It’s great as what it does, but I personally feel like it’s synthesis capabilities are narrow.
It does make samples sound great, and single cycle waveforms really open up possibilities.
Samples on the RYTM can be difficult to manage across projects.
Navigating using samples can in some ways be more challenging on the RYTM than the OT.
Project management is not as good on RYTM as it is on other Elektron machines.

The OT is definitely more performance friendly device and does many things.
Although it’s sample based it has a broader range to some degree.
Learning the OT is not hard, and once you grasp it, all other Elektron’s are simple to understand as well.

If I were you I’d consider the A4 as a first Elektron.
To me it’s the most interesting Elektron. It does so much, but feels streamlined.
It’s bangs as a drum machine and offers more in depth but still basic synthesis.
The A4 is also a wonderful performance device.
I would read through this before pulling the trigger on the OT or AR.

Lastly, once you get your first Elektron you’ll probably want more.
So it almost doesn’t matter which you get first because another is destiny

6 Likes

yes thats whats selling the OT for me, is that it can be expanded to everything and can be routed to everything but its a sampler which something i dont like when it comes to sound design with synths, but then i just found out that it can also synthesize ? i think its called single wave cycle synth? not sure, so sampling a flat sine wave then you can basically turn it into anything u want to and you can sample or buy sample packs that have other wave shapes and that could solve my problem with samplers?

thanks friend!

this is very important for me, i love ableton and everything about it, but sometimes i need touch and just a mouse and a screen

yeah thinking about the rytm price is a bit tough especially its stuck in my head as a drum machine and i never want to pay that much for a drum machine, although it can do more than that absolutely seen some videos and the one’s i linked up in my post was a really good display of rytm’s possibilities

and the overbridge thing also with the OT i dont know what to feel about it, but im sure i can still record my audio track into ableton as a full on track from the OT no? so if i wanna add some EQ or mastering to my track i can do that

this came in mind cause push 3 just came out and its a standalone now, but its not available in my country sadly. Ableton doesnt ship to where i live, ive already checked

especially the pads its very tempting hahah,

i can also use single wave samples on the rytm as well?

nice jam :D!

oh wow! i just noticed that this jam is purely with samples:)! nice :D!
correct me if im wrong but the AR seems to me that its best for performance, and that its strong point over the OT, even though the OT is labeled by elektron as in a performance machine sampler

samples are great i use them purely for percussions and drums and sometimes for textures in my tracks nothing else than that, i synthesize all of my basslines and leads and textures and all of that stuff. and thats the main selling point for me for the AR that it can do all that? i know im stuck with only 8 voices, but i usually dont need anything above that, my tracks are basically (kick,bass,lead,hats,rides,hats2,claps,and maybe toms)

but i do have lots of effect chains and and lots of mangling effects so i use lots of processing in my productions, thats why the OT feels tempting as well, that it can mangle sounds and do all sorts of weird stuff so kinda like ableton in a sense? so maybe OT fits better for that style of workflow?