Rythm compressor final volume not working as expected

I’ve been looking around the various posts about the Analog Rytm compressor and not found the info I’ve been looking for.

I understand compressors, and thought the VOL parameter was the final gain stage. However if I use extreme compression and distortion (for some stomping industrial beats) I then want to pull the total volume of the output right down to where it was pre-distortion/compression, but can’t.

The reason I can’t is that the Vol (and even the makeup gain) seem to lower the signal before the compressor and now the threshold value changes the output.

In my understanding of compressors, the make-up gain, if lowered, should not affect the threshold on the input signal. Neither should the VOL parameter if it is really post-compressor.

Is there something about this compressor that I missed? I really think the VOL is pre-compressor, but then Make Up Gain should be post.

Is there a final total output volume stage somewhere I can use to set up a scene that goes very compressed and distorted but lowered to a reasonable non-distorted level?