Gear choices

Definitely something I’m going to miss, just sold my OT. What it did to samples was superb, and was pretty cool as an effects processer but I wasn’t using it enough to justify keeping it. Money’s low and I could use the sample support of the RYTM for my sample needs, but could also fall back on synthesis if I didn’t feel like pulling from a list. Or I might get the DT since it seems more set up for live sampling thus removing the list element of sampling

2 Likes

thats part of the reason I wanted to dump the OT for the digitakt, a lot better implementing with the computer, but also because I find myself sampling less and less loops and chopping stuff up a lot more, I figured it wouldve been just as easy to do in rytm and DT. Especially the onboard synthesis. I just had to repurchase an OP-1 because I dont have a dedicated synth to sample in my OT, and also, battery power is a huge plus.

IF i had actually researched more, I wouldve ended up with just the Rytm only, but I do love what I’ve learned on the OT

1 Like

Absolutely! The OT definitely made learning fun, and it was my first experience with sampling and taking external sounds and making them my own(in addition to making sounds out of a wineglass/vocal recording/flatulence) was very fulfilling.

If anything, I think the problem with the OT is that there’s so much sonic potential that it’s easy to lose the integrity of the sample and why you’re sampling it in the first place. Like, the songs that I made previously just using those sounds- I could have done A LOT more to the sound, but, what would have been the point of it?

The RYTM + Strom seems perfect. Plug the old Zoom H6 into it and record into the iPad and send samples over to the AR.

The DT looks like it certainly provides a little something special for the on the fly though. I might get one at some point. Or most likely the OP-1. That thing IS the sample on the fly instrument, very limited sonically. You’re forced into keeping your sonic integrity. Damn I miss that beast(and mainly just for sampling- but they synths were fun too) like, TE knew how much a pain it is to find things to sample- it was a decision of genuius to include the Fm radio in the damn thing.

I digress. OT is awesome, and has a lot of potential. Prices will surely jump back up after the excitement of the DT wears off. I’m mostly going to miss the Lo-Fi processing on my MDUW :frowning:

1 Like

I’ve been on a crazy sampler journey since HS until now, but this is probably the weirdest yet greatest sampler fun I’ve had in a long time. I still havent used anything more than Flex and Static machines though, and I’ve yet to do sampling direct to the unit (need to get cables ASAP lol) but I love making beats at work, and lugging that OT is a pain in the ass sometimes. Maybe itll be OP-1 as sample source/scratch pad/co partner for live shows, and OT brain/megalomaniac over lord controller. LOL

Z6 is something I need to nab up too. Portable atmospheric recording is the best.

Strom+Rytm looks so damn cool, I wish Elektron would drop a batteried RYTM or something.

I agree some of the limitations are great on the op-1, and those synths are mighty lovely as well.

and u mention MDUW, did u dump all your Elektron equip?

1 Like

[quote=“Ryan, post:18, topic:5953, full:true”]If anything, I think the problem with the OT is that there’s so much sonic potential that it’s easy to lose the integrity of the sample and why you’re sampling it in the first place. Like, the songs that I made previously just using those sounds- I could have done A LOT more to the sound, but, what would have been the point of it?
[/quote]

It’s all about the journey, maaan!
I think that’s its strength, tbh. I can start with, for example, a sample from a Kate Bush track, and something about its sonic qualities, and the process of cutting it and putting effects over it, effectively mangling it beyond recognition into a pad sound, would inspire me to get to a point where I wouldn’t usually get if I just set out to make a pad sound conventionally… if that makes sense?

My aim lately has been to create music where it’s difficult to distinguish certain elements as drums, melody, chords etc, but just a cloudy mash of interesting sound design. I’m not quite there yet, but the OT is getting me very close.

2 Likes

I recently got one of those Pyramids which does wonders for sequencing(up to 300 bars and you can zoom in steps and place notes as small as 1/16 of a 16th note(what’s that, 128th- I dunno, really small) and I’ve just been in love. You can even alter Midi CC values from the sequencer- so I’m all set. So I’ve been kinda changing out my studio of things that have a sequencer as part of their selling point and trying to replace them with things that have a focus on sound design. Ideally, the Elektrons I’ll end up with will be an A4, AR and maybe the AH. and that should cover most of my basses. For digital I’m going Blofeld for synthesis and ND3p/2 for percussion. Those later Elektron big boxes are SO MUCH MORE than cool synths tied to a cool sequencer, so they can’t be written off just yet. And I’m very reluctant to get rid of the MD because I love had a lot of fulfillment using that box

The OT is VERY good for that. Definitely. I can certainly see the allure of that manner. I’m just very emotionally attached to the sentiment IN the sample I’m using. I want to keep the spirit in that sound intact. But that’s me.

For random nonsense, though- that is fun. Had a lot of fun throwing Coffee Cups into tracks through the OT.

1 Like

Yeah, I need to start using more field/found samples in my tracks. I started with a bunch of samples I recorded from commercial grade printers, but I think it’s time to start trying to turn organic sounds into cold, synthetic noises :smiley:

1 Like

That! Yes! You may have just sold me on a DT with that. Maybe I COULD actually use that sequencer along with the Pyramid! The conditions + individual track lengths COULD be used for off times like 7/8 or what have you, the sound design elements could be a significant ease compared to trying to control it externally and the midi could certainly be useful. Not to mention OB.

Thanks!

1 Like

Damn, I just read Ask Audio’s review on the Pyramid, the Polyrhythm stuff is bonkers!

That’s a great buy especially for the center piece, and I agree, dumping all other “all in one” type boxes makes sense.

1 Like

OT 2 confirmed.

I’m definitely starting to consider getting rid of my OT. I love the thing in many ways, but I find as I get better and better with Ableton I can do everything and more in there, and without the added hassle of having to manage the lack of individual outs on the OT/lack of Overbridge.

I can actually see myself without any Elektron gear in the next few months - apart from possibly the A4 which I would find hard to let go due to the CV control for my modular.

2 Likes

OB ‘later this year’. I’d anticipate a bit of a wait.

OT vs Ableton always has been a competition for me. OT is hardware fun witout a mouse, but I’m better and faster with Ableton for the most things…

1 Like

I struggle to figure out which piece of gear really fits my workflow. I love the Monomachine, but wish it were polyphonic. I love the OT, but wish I could record longer, was polyphonic per track, and had trig conditions. My MD and A4 are ok, but I’m not totally sold on them on a regular basis. It’s obvious that Elektron holds stuff back from some pieces of gear in order to make others more enticing, but in the end, it occasionally makes me question owning Elektron gear in the first place. I absolutely love the workflow, size and sounds that I can make, I just feel like some of the features are crippled.

6 Likes

Interesting… I never ever sample on the OT - kind of defeats the purpose as I use it just for chopping up existing loops and using elements to accompany my music. I use the OT mainly as the beating heart of my Midi… OT sends to an iConnectMidi4+ which then distributes to all my other gear…

Since using the OT to sequence, I’ve really been hating using a DAW - which is why I sold my Push 2…

1 Like

Source ?

lool… dont be so gullible

I’m not. just annoyed when people spread fake news.

1 Like

While I do things quicker in Ableton, I’ve discovered new sounds and weird things I never wouldve done in Ableton just based off the system within the OT.

1 Like