Rubber coating deteriorating

I’m depressed and deeply disappointed.
My digitakt buttons are sticky af and seem covered by sperm. They changed their state in just one week!
I always wash my hands before using gear, no direct sun light, no chemicals to clean.
What should I do? Send back? (Cost?) Ask for new buttons and do it by myself? What did you do? I know I’m not alone.
I opened a ticket but I hope someone can support me before elektron. Thanks.

3 Likes

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magnpariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

39 Likes

:joy:

2 Likes

The buttons are cheap and easily replaced. You can pop them off with a guitar pick or something similar. Then just push the new ones into place.

1 Like

Try washing with soap in warm water before ordering replacement.

AFTER taking them off :joy:

12 Likes

Where should I buy new ones?

Just contact Elektron.

1 Like

Yeah, as @Schnork says, contact Elektron. They will either replace them free of charge if it’s not that old and they’re feeling charitable or else charge you the small price for a new set.

3 Likes

Let them dry out. The stickiness wont last.

I am baffled. Was this used kit?

I have a good amount of Elektron gear and have never had buttons/knobs feel this way and honestly I don’t always wash my hands before playing.

I hope this was just a fluke in the manufacturing process.

EDIT: Seems you’ve had the DT for a while according to post history. Hmm… yea contact support.

5 Likes

Maybe someone sneaked into your room to have some fun alone with the digitakt

3 Likes

This is a very common problem in humid environments.
Here in Japan this happens to all gear covered in this stupid material…unless of course you have a properly sealed room with constant dehumidification and don’t take your gear out much.
It sucks and I wish manufacturers would stop using it.
Some places are just way more humid than others…in August it is crazy here.

8 Likes

Ah thank you for the explanation.

Dang… that’s unfortunate.

No worries…yup, it is.

I did. Hope they can help. Unmount, clean, remount it’s a pain.

1 Like

Is it not the same process as removing a keycap from a mechanical keyboard? With the keycap removal tool it takes a fraction of a second to remove. Stick 'em in a bowl of warm (not hot) water with dish detergent, then wipe dry with a soft cloth. Job done

1 Like

Hi all.
I have the same problem. All of a sudden the buttons on my digitakt started to feel sticky and dust started to kinda glue on them. Same here, no direct sun light and I’m storing the unit in an analog case. Is there any kind of solution to clean the buttons and revert the stickiness?
Unfortunately I got the exact problem on my Push1 where the rubber coating started to deteriorate and despite any efforts to clean it off it just got worse. So I’m scared to take any action on my DT in case it also gets worse.

Ask Elektron for a new set of buttons

Edit: and welcome to the forum too :slight_smile:

1 Like

isopropyl alcohol was the only thing that worked for my Push2, but with DT buttons it may strip any printed areas too, so contact elektron first, see if they’ll send you some replacements.

3 Likes