Routing MIDI controller through Analog Four

I have an Analog Four, which has its MIDI OUT running to an Octatrack to send program changes and transport (A4 is master and it must stay that way), and a modular (sequenced from A4’s CV). I want to control them all from one MIDI controller (Arturia Keystep) that is running into the A4’s MIDI IN. And it’s the MIDI tracks I want to control on the OT, specifically.

I can control each channel of the A4 and the modular via A4’s auto channel (9), but even though the OT is set up with its own auto channel (11), it does not receive anything from the controller unless I plug it in directly, and I’ve played with configuration settings on all machines for longer than is sane…

Is what I want to do possible?

PS - I’m thinking of using a MIDI Solutions Merge box (already own) to take the A4’s MIDI OUT and THRU and send them both to the OT. Ran out of time to try it for the time being but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work…

Its not a mergerer but MIDI Thru can do the trick

but that won’t combine the A4 clock to the Keystep input at the OT

the approach OP suggests is fine, and best way for that scenario

1 Like

For me it’s not obvious, what your set-up is supposed to do. For an example … why run the Keystep through the A4 anyway, if you want to control the OT with it, but the A4 shall be master for the OT too?

Since the A4 shall be the master, I assmue it shall be the center piece of the set-up and be master-clock and master for start/stop, MCC etc. and it’s not “controlled” by an other device. Is this right?

If the Keystep shall control the OT only and not the A4 too, it would be better to send it’s midi directly to the OT. If the A4 shall be master-clock and master for start/stop etc. for all boxes, you could patch the following midi routing using your midi-merger:

A4 midi-out --> midi-merger-in (sends midi, midi-clock, and midi-start/stop etc. to the network)
Keystep midi-out --> midi-merger-in
midi-merger-out --> OT midi-in (OT receives now midi from both units and clock etc. from A4)
OT midi-through --> Keystep midi-in (sends clock, start/stop from A4 to the Keystep)

Now all boxes are syncronized and you have only to set-up each box, that it sends/receives midi as wanted :wink:

1 Like

With your setup as stated, your idea of using a MIDI merger is fine.

If you didn’t have the restriction of using the Analog Four as master, you could connect:
KS MIDI Out to OT MIDI In,
OT MIDI Out to AF MIDI In,
and not need a MIDI merger.

Thanks for the replies. It does work fine with the merger routing both the A4’s MIDI out and thru into the OT’s in. Now I just need some very short MIDI cables, too much clutter :slight_smile:

I would have made the OT the master way back when but there’s a bug that prevents that, regarding half-speed patterns on my other Elektron machines. To use them and still have my patterns change in sync across all devices I’m forced to use the A4 as master.

Why ?
Edit : sorry, you answered with your last post : half speed patterns…

sezare56,

Revisiting the question, it could be simpler to just not worry about the half speed patterns, as I’ve since learned how to use chains very easily & effectively for composing longer sequences and find myself doing this instead these days. But I have older songs I’d have to rework and I already own a MIDI merger so we’ll see if I get around to that… the Octa’s Arranger is supposedly better than the A4/AR’s song mode as well (though in practice song mode seems to do everything I need).

1 Like

I just tried another method. Keystep out to A4 in, and A4 out to Keystep in (the Keystep out can be configured for midi thru). I thought maybe this way, the A4’s output would be combined with the Keystep and then the A4’s thru would be sending both to the OT, eliminating the need for the merge box.

What ended up happening though was the A4 went totally nuts, practically locked it up several times. I guess I created some kind of midi loop it didn’t like. And the machines downstream didn’t get it’s transport signals anyway.

Idiodic idea, maybe, but know now. It seemed to make sense hypothetically…

Midi Thru = what’s coming IN.
You were sending to A4 IN what was going OUT from A4. Midi loop indeed.

1 Like