Routing help appreciated!

Hello again. I got myself a Strymon timeline today and I am scratching my head about the audio routing.
I have: NO MIXER, an OT, an Analog four, a row of eurorack, a laptop, a guitar and the timeline. And a native instruments komplete audio with 6 inputs (2 are spdif, I’m not sure about them).
My idea was to route everything in the OT, so stereo inputs from the laptop, mono from the A4, and mono from the Eurorack (or stereo from the A4, and the modular in the A4 audio in)… Then the cue outs of the OT in the timeline and the timeline out into my interface… Then I also had to get the main outs of the OT into the Interface. Then I had no further input for my guitar into the Interface. Or can I use the Spdif for the OT?
Puhh, sorry. Sounds rather confusing right? I should get a mixer, but I have very limited space (and spent 500 for the timeline recently :slight_smile: )
Any suggestions? It would be great if I could route everything to the timeline, if I need to… Thanks!!!

You can’t use SPIDF as it’s a digital interface for certain pieces of gear.

You should probably just pick up a mixer if you have all that extra gear, or get a bigger audio interface.

1 Like

yes. I guess I have to. Or I leave something out of the equation…

I imagine your interface has the best input for guitar…
Maybe just use one output of the timeline? Can it be set to mono?
Or an option would be to put the timeline outputs into OT inputs where the a4 and eurorack were, put the eurorack into A4, and then A4, guitar, OT mains into interface.
I’m sure there’s other combinations and don’t ignore those A4 inputs, but yeah a mixer or bigger interface would be ideal…

1 Like

Why no mixer? Seems like it would make your life much easier.

1 Like

Maybe instead of using the A4 as a sample input, maybe use it as a post processor? Maybe Cue outputs from the OT into the A4 inputs? That clears up a a pair of inputs. And then Strymon for the main outs(or vice versa) guitar and eurorack through one set of inputs, laptop through the other and everything fits without a mixer

Edit: or guitar and euro through A4 inputs and laptop through OT inputs laptop in the other. However you want to play it

Edit edit:
Yeah the second makes the most sense unless you want a master effects section for the cue outputs

1 Like

Thanks for these suggestions. I have to try it :slight_smile: But wouldn’t I sacrifice two A4 tracks for the second solution?
I had this temporary solution this evening: Everything goes into the macbook (I left the guitar out). The modular via the ES-8, the A4 via USB, the OT via stereo inputs 1 and 2. Then I had a return track in ableton that sent audio through a stereo output of the Interface into the strymon, and the strymon sent the stereo output back into 3 and 4 inputs of the interface. Worked quite good. I guess if I’d use the guitar now, I just would use one input of the Interface and use the strymon in mono…
But I try your suggestions tomorrow.

btw: The timeline is unbelievable awesome. I always used a Line 6 DL4, but this is a serious upgrade imo

You’d only sacrifice the A4 tracks if you want to use the filters. The FX track allows the stereo/2xMono free with admission

1 Like

Great. yes. Of course.

1 Like