Routing advice for Heat mk2

Hi, new user here, or potential one. I’ve read through the relevant part of the Heat 2 manual a dozen times and still can’t get this through my head. I’ll tell you what I want to do, and maybe you can advise me on what the proper settings are to achieve it, or if it can be done.

I won’t be using Heat as a plugin. Instead, I want to use it on the outputs of my mixer, an SSL SiX, as an effect, and ALSO use it as a sound card. I want to do ALL MONITORING via the SiX—that is, not use the Heat 2’s headphone output at all.

OK, so: my plan is send the main outs of the mixer to the analog ins on the Heat 2, and then into the FX, and from there into the computer via USB. I would ALSO like the effected signal to then go out through the analog outputs of the Heat 2, and back into the mixer through the EXT 1 inputs of the SiX…combined with the UNEFFECTED output of my DAW. This way, I’ll only be monitoring EXT 1 on the mixer, and will basically use the Heat 2 as an insert effect, turning it on and off with the ON button on the top of the unit, rather than with the INSERT button on the mixer. (In theory I could use the SiX master inserts, but that would entail soldering up some DB25 connectors; the way I’m describing should be simpler.)

I hope this makes sense. Or, to take the SiX out of the equation, I just want the analog outputs of the Heat 2 to carry the EFFECTED signal from the analog inputs, plus the UNEFFECTED signal from the computer. What, then, are the proper audio routing settings to use?

1 Like

So USB AUDIO/MIDI should be selected, USB TO MAIN should not be zero, FX ON USB AUDIO should be off. I think that’s what you’re describing.

3 Likes

Thanks! One of the things that confused me about that page is “Select this option if you want to use the Analog Heat together with a class complicant USB audio host.” I thought…the Heat WAS the class compliant USB audio host. Does that refer to the interface built into the Heat, or something else?

Also: filter and EQ affect the USB audio no matter what?

No, it’s a class compliant usb device. The host is the computer.

USB is directional, one end of the cable (the USB-A end) connects to the host and one end (the USB-B, or mini-B or micro-B) to the device. You can’t connect a host to a host and can’t connect a device to a device.

(Well usb on-the-go kinda changes the rules, allowing devices to connect to devices, but that isn’t relevant here, only to mobile phones)

2 Likes

Ohhhhkay, got it. I went ahead and ordered one, thanks again!

1 Like

Yes, looks that way (I haven’t tried using mine over USB)

I’m going to hang on to my existing interface for now, in case this doesn’t work the way I was hoping—either way, it’s all good