Roughly 27 Tips for Drum and Percussion Patches on the Digitone

When I put out my Drums and Percussion patch pack a few months back now, I promised that I’d make a video talking about some of the tips and techniques I had used and learnt during the process of putting it together.

It was slightly delayed by a bout of lockdown depression and an ill-advised dalliance with Eurorack but here it is. I’m certain that a lot of folk here will already be familiar with many of these tips, but hopefully there will be something new for everyone. There are timings in the video description so you can easily skip over any attempts I make at teaching you to suck eggs!

28 Likes

This is profoundly good. I learned a lot, thank you.

1 Like

Taking notes ! TY

1 Like

Didn’t watch the video but it made me think : is there still no way for a sound to ignore the trigger pitch and have a fixed pitch instead ?

1 Like

There is not, but I’m not sure what the use case would be? Unless you mean adding fixed frequency operators into the mix, in which case, yes, that’d be cool, but you can fudge it with fast LFOs kinda.

1 Like

:raised_hands:
Wonderful timing for me!

Thanks for putting this together. I’m coming from the immediacy of the Model: Cycles and I’m having some difficulty with the Digitone. I can make some rad synth sounds, but drums are not quite where I want them yet. I’m sure it’ll click soon.

1 Like

Mainly to avoid user error, and inputing notes real time with a midi keyboard without having to think which note to play.

1 Like

Interesting, I just had a one month blown out of proportions love affair with Eurorack too. Did not make me happy, didn’t really even make music. Just made me stressed. Happy I’m back to what works for me, glad you’re too!

Looking forward to this and really appreciate your efforts.

This place has felt like a kind of lockdown depression musical support group. Maybe we should do a dedicated thread. I hope you’re doing better now. Thanks again for the cool stuff.

1 Like

Lack of fixed operator pitch option is one of my main gripes with DN.

This is great. Thanks so much for taking the time to make it. I find hearing and watching others’ sound design process really helpful and interesting. Good too hear you’re emerging from your lockdown low, which resonates.

1 Like

@lesstalkmoredisco
Oh, I’m still dallying! I’m “into it”, but it was at the exclusion of other stuff - which delayed this video!

1 Like

Haha okay, got it :grin: