Roli Seaboard Rise

it’s very nice ! … but when you have the 25 you want at least the 49… (the Grand is too expensive) I really rediscover my analog FOUR differently with the Seaboard Rise. The feeling on touch is so enjoyable and precise that’s a pure JOY. but i think we’re again at the Beginning of MPE and it’s not really supported anywhere but i guess it will be better on better

ROLI GRAND STAGE : 2.999 €
SAME PRICE to the LAST MACBOOK PRO 15" NEARLY SAME PRICE to the NORD STAGE 2
Big deal (chance i’m not an keyboardist at all)

Few years ago i have pain to spend 1400 on a machine… 3000 it’s again another level

i had a 25 to start and had to have the 49 after. It’s quite a joy to have 2 people playing together, the 49 provides space for that.

were you using the seaboard to control your A4 by using over bridge? or were you using some type of usb-midi to din midi converter?

My Rise 25 arrived the other day. I really like it and kicking myself I didn’t get the 49

However…

Immediately after playing the thing I noticed there were issues with two of the keys
It was stepping between these keys rather than sliding

Also if I touch/rub the keybed between the highest C and the border of the instrument, it totally just randomly triggers the high C .

Roli told me this high C random triggering behaviour is normal.
I find this hard to believe as it’s not a useful feature in any way and totally easy to mistakenly hit this area during performance.

Can anyone confirm this same behaviour for me? I’ll post the vids I sent to Roli here later

Btw not knocking Roli support here, they’ve been very helpful and prompt in their replies

Thanks

Was surprised to see Ryan Gosling wailing on a Seaboard Rise 49 in “La La Land” in the theatre yesterday.

From memory, I’m pretty certain the Rise 25 I did also triggered a high C. I learned to think of that final key as one giant C key! Come to think of it, I actually think it pitch bended ever so slighlty past the high C. Pretty certain the same was true of the opposite end. Never really bothered me at all though so was happy to let it slide.

1 Like

Good to know. Only problem is mines doesn’t just trigger C, it randomly triggers C. Which more or less renders that whole area of the keybed unusable.

Any issues with any of the other keys ?

Ah, no it never randomly triggered. I know stuck notes and random notes was a problem with a batch of 49s that was fixed work a software update but not aware of problems on the 25.

Rest of my playing experience was really good to be honest.

So Roli have verified that the problems I’m having are indeed hardware related. I have to return it. :sob:

For people who’s gotta fetish for latex it’s a interesting instrument :smiley:

1 Like

The Seaboard Rise is super cool, for iPad synths (Animoog!), with Equator or anything else like for instance drums. I don’t care about most of the stuff not being MPE-compatible.

Main strengths: organic sounds, subtle blending in of sounds, recording of synth lines in one loop without having to add automations afterwards. It’s also extraordinarily good for jam sessions! Just connect it to an iPhone or iPad and go.

I’m thinking of biting the bullet and grabbing the 25 key roli seaboard as my only production tool and was wondering if anyone has had experience with it?

What did you think of the bundled software and general playability of it?

2 Likes

We talking the Rise or Block? I used to own a Rise. Fantastic technology and both Strobe and Equator are excellent synths. The latter in particular. 25 keys was just a little too limiting for me.

The other downer, as an Ableton user, getting the most out of MPE in that environment is a pain in the arse. I hope for this to charge in Live 10.

The new Block looks very interesting though. It’s modular style meaning extra octaves if needed though you can’t glide over the join just yet (they’re looking to add that). You don’t get Strobe with the block though and it’s Equator Player rather than a full version but you’ll get some serious mileage.

The rise. I would’ve loved to get the 49 key version but the price, my lack of space and inability to play the keyboard anyway put me off ha!

I am using Ableton, and was wondering what limitations you’re talking about? I assume the keyboard would already be mapped onto strobe and equator if they’re used as a VST within Ableton?

I’m nearly certain I will return to the Roli’s one day - the 49 would be fantastic. Two of the Seaboard Blocks may be ok though…Anyway!!!

Part of the problem with Ableton is my laziness but to get the full experience, you have to basically set up 10 midi tracks, group them, a little bit more mucking about before you get the MPE experience. Roli’s site is really good and will show you what you need to do. It’s just a convoluted experience that was a bit of a buzzkill for me. It’s not as simple as 1 midi track with Equator on it and getting all the lift/glide/etc functionality unfortunately.

I got a deal that included a full Bitwig licence and when used with that DAW it was a dream. I just like Push too much and decided not to make the switch keeping some faith that the guys at Ableton will include fuller midi integration in the next update when it lands.

Build quality is great though. They weigh a lot. And their support guys are brilliant. I had a 25 that ended up bricked (dodgy battery I think) but they had it replaced in 2 or 3 days.

Like I say, I will return to Roli one day. The Seaboard Blocks has nearly pulled me back in - if the wifi connection can work with the MPC Live down the line then I’ll be sold I think!

agreed when you have the 25… Expressivity are so excellent you really want to feel octave fast with no transpose. Then you want to split the keyboard Bass-Melody or Melody-String/Pad/textures… to find interesting combination. I think 2 Seabord block chained is the cheapest way to go but I don’t know if the feel and expressivity match the level of the RISE… I doubt it…

I think the second hand Roli Seaboard Grand Studio (37 Keys) is interesting too as equator synth is embed inside like a real synth. (and approximating the price of the Analog Four so it’s possible to afford it)

1 Like

Unfortunately the grand is too expensive new and not poplar enough in the used market here for me to find one!

I’ve just been debating all day with myself whether to get the rise 25 or two of the seaboard keyboard blocks. I would plan to move one day to the grand or the 49 if I enjoy it though

I can’t say from experience but the block looks to play very much like the rise. It’s missing the X/y and touch strips and is less substantial but the playing experience looks intact.

It’s a tough call! With just a little more MPE support in the world the 49 would be brilliant.

2 Likes

If you got the full equator plugin with the blocks I would’ve snapped it up in no time

Roli definitely​ did this on purpose! but I think I’m gonna grab the 25 key rise and sell it for a seaboard grand or something like a prophet 8 once I’m settled and have a place of my own

2 Likes

Also you need to have in mind it’s exactly like the feeling when playing between a guitar and a piano/synth it will take time for you to learn to play it and create you personal way to play it… it’s nothing comparable…
it’s a new instrument on its own

2 Likes

I friggin love my seaboard rise. The synth apps that I got with it are also excellent. The combination is a really awesome musical experience. I love the 5D (Mpe) touch but also like playing it as a simple midi keyboard with non-Mpe synths. I’m also eye-balling that new little one. I would have that in my backpack everywhere I go (just like the op-1 and block are always with me). If you get a Roli you’ll love it.