Roland VT-4 (updated vocal processor)

PS: I am a small independent developer myself (besides musician/audiovisual guy) and made in the past MIDI editors for various synths. Nowadays, my focus is primarily Max for Live (see here: J74 software) as it is very easy to create stuff this way (but only for Ableton Live). If there is interest for the VT-4 I could create a editor for it. It wouldn’t be free, but it would at least be cheap (Max for Live and/or Standalone app - no VST/AU). Anyway, for now the testing and prototype I have done are for my own use of the VT-4.

2 Likes

I can hear it both ways. So admittedly I must be half a tit at least, because it sounds awkward to me.

Does someone know how many bands the vocoder has?

Is there someone that knows if the different vocoder settings are usable?

Anyone using one of these? Thoughts?

I bought one a couple of weeks back. Got it for a good price from a friend who works at the local music store. It’s the perfect size (smaller than VT3) for the wasteland on my AK.

It’s got a lot going for it - eight user memories, din-midi that was oddly missing from the VT3 and a lot more modes than just the vocoder. I used to have the EHX V256 -pedal for vocoding etc. but this does a bunch of more stuff than that ever did. I like it a lot. Haven’t really found an in your face robot-speak sound tha the V256 excelled at, but polyphonic vocoded choirs etc. are all very good to my ear. I also love that even though it’s from the Aira -series the green is kept to the minimum. I’m not a huge fan of the Aira-look.

5 Likes

It’s got a ton of capabilities under the hood, but we’re waiting for this software to make it easy to use.

3 Likes

That’s really interesting! Is there a way of pushing the pitch beyond the default range of the slider?

I don’t know, but the slider’s range is pretty wide.

Update: I have published a Max for Live / Ableton Live free version of the VT4Control editor, available on my website (http://www.fabriziopoce.com/download.html) and on MaxForLive.com (https://maxforlive.com/library/index.php?by=any&q=vt-4).

Gr
Fab/J74

7 Likes

Great, thanks–PayPal’ed you 10 euros.

I just ordered one, lets see if its up to my expectations.

Got the VT-4 a while ago and I’m very happy with it. I run it into the Digitone and then into the Octatrack so plenty of effects! I can control the Harmony voices with a midi track on the Digitone and record the notes. Getting a really good mic tomorrow so I’m going to start using it a lot.

I’m curious which parameters I can access via the DN’s CC parameters. Can I access the EQ settings for instance? And the formant parameter? Or turn up the Reverb gain which is too low?

I don’t think you can access to CC’s, just to the notes in ROBOT/HARMONY voice

Scroll back, someone posted a list of cc values the vt-4 accepts in this very thread.

4 Likes

I heard that the vt-4 supports USB audio and that you can record audio via USB to your DAW.
Can someone that have this confirm this?

Is a USB cable included in the box? If it is how long is it?

Does anyone know?

It’s definitely possible, but you should check the manual.

Thanks for your answer! Yeah I checked the manual and it has a built in soundcard so its possible.

1 Like

I was about to buy a VT4 but I started to read the thread @Anfim posted and stopped to TC-H Perform VE. Seems better soundwise isn’t it? Other competitors?

The VT-4 is excellent for what it is supposed to do. I run it into OT and it’s perfect for that. The auto tune is usually set at 50% where it corrects the voice very well without artefacts. It is also very light and easy to carry along.

1 Like