Roland trademark 808 and 303

Same thing happened with basses. Thats why you see so many J and P basses live but most of the times they are not even Fenders.

1 Like

Inovators need not worry if they are inovating, if they stand still for too long though their inefficiencies will be scrutinised and eventually preyed upon.
Personaly I have no allegiance to any synth brand, non of them feel like my friend or engage in a way that leaves me to believe I am any more than a cash source to them.

3 Likes

Mutable Instruments stuff is Open Source. Anyone can clone themā€¦

1 Like

If they need to worry or not is no excuse for others to parasite on their work.

Yes indeed, but if they did I donā€™t think MI would be around for very long afterwards, who would buy a module from MI for 300 when you could wait for the Behringer clone at a quarter of the price?
Apparently not many people.

I am convinced Ɖmilie would be fine.

Enough people will be happy to pay full price for the real thing. Have you ever seen a MI module up close?

Behringer really isnā€™t going to be able to reach the same level of quality at a quarter, half, or even at two-thirds of the price. Theyā€™re also simply going to be unable to come up with panels that look even halfway as nice (keep in mind that the branding and panel design is not open source; they canā€™t just copy those).

2 Likes

I wonder if they will go after sample providers too such as samples from mars. SFM have an extensive collection of samples created from Roland machines.

Ultimately this doesnā€™t sound like they are gearing up to just fight Behringer.

I wouldnā€™t buy a Behringer anything anyway, but I think from the response to Behringerā€™s clones a lot of people seem only to care about price, not originality or innovation, or little details like the nice panels etc. I mean you look at the Behringer designs of the 101 and 808, they look ugly as hell and that is even with copying a lot of Rolands design cues, they still managed to make them look like cheapo counterfeits, which is kind of apt considering that is exactly what they are.

2 Likes

Including sound and UI

With all this controversy, Behringer will have great success with these productsā€¦ Which strengthens their presence in the synth market, meaning more amazing products from all the manufacturers competing for our dollarsā€¦ Thanks Behringer for lighting a fire under companies like Roland because they need itā€¦ Yamaha, youā€™re nextā€¦:blush:

3 Likes

Oh, I do hope so! Iā€™ve been waiting for Yamaha to drop some new cool boxes since before I had grey hair. But alas, no new su series groove boxes, no rs7k mk2 not even some Volca competing boxes like a revised an200/dx200.

1 Like

I completely agreeā€¦ Yamah has had their heads buried in the sand for way too longā€¦

Iā€™ll take the behri version any day if they replace the tiny unreadable MI icons with proper clear black on metal labels. Doepfer wins no beauty contest, but I almost never have to open a manual.

i laugh at Roland with a mouth as big as the globe

laughable Roland laughable

Behringer has taste

Shame they donā€™t incorporate some of it into their designs then, their stuff looks like it was designed by someone who was off their face on Jenkem :joy:

1 Like

If you would take your Behringer hater glasses off for a while, you might notice that RD-808 actually looks really nice. Way, way nicer than Rolandā€™s Aira line.

2 Likes

Are this copy of ray-ban ? :joy:

2 Likes

I see your point, but I think the aira stuff is just as ugly too - that horrible green :face_vomiting:

I donā€™t think the RD-808 looks nice personally, although I would concede it isnā€™t their worst, it looks like a mash up of an ER-1 and diy TR-808 clone at best IMHO.

They come free with every Roland purchase

1 Like