Roland TR-8S

@circuitghost : Can you explain what does’nt gel with it ?

I just don’t need it. The Toraiz does it all for me. Nothing wrong with it, I just got what I need to get shit done already.

1 Like

Output quality really is fab, tho⭐️

1 Like

Oh yes, thanks, I do remember your posts about Toraiz in the sp16 thread.

1 Like

I sometimes process it through a Torcido but it’s as much for the extra knobs than it is for the sound (because onboard distortion is fine already)

I like TR-8S because it’s digital, can easily record a loop to OP-1 tape without any fuss (Nord Drum 2 is like that too).

As much as I love my Tempest and Tanzbär 2 both sound a bit weak in the mix without running it thru some stuff.

I dig both digitals and analogs :man_dancing:t4:

1 Like

See, this is where these conversations always lose me. With the Tempest, it’s on you as the sound designer to make it not sound “weak”. And the Tanzbär, despite its fixed parameters and questionable build quality, is possibly the best sounding modern analog drum machine on the market. At very least, it’s not “weak”.

Regardless, both of these machines easily outperform their Roland predecessors.

Cheers!

2 Likes

I hear you. I’ve got a M:S and and MPC One that each handle one-shots well (not to mention DN and A4 which are more than capable drum synths), so I really didn’t need the TR-8s, either. But there’s something I just like about how straightforward the TR-8s is. Plus those ACB kits sound awesome, and sometimes you just want a machine that does one thing really well. I almost don’t mind how huge and ugly it is…

4 Likes

This is all true, and actually why I like the Toraiz so much. It doesn’t really do all that much, compared to the all singing, all dancing groove boxes of the world right now, but man, what it does, it does sooo well.

1 Like

When I grow old, I’ll still fondly remember my year with the Tanzbar as the best goddam analogue drummer I ever had. Tempest would be the funkiest, but nothing kicked through like that German bear.

3 Likes

I guess that’s exactly what the discussion is about. Some want the sound they like straight out of the box, without the extra effort to make it sound that way.
Also a matter of taste anyway.

6 Likes

Hi @JohntheSavage I really appreciate your input and efforts in the DSI/Sequential forums regarding Tempest over the years. It’s still my favorite drum machine. It’s Roger and Dave and it’s a true classic in every sense love Tempest!! Best pads ever made.

When I said ”weak in the mix” I meant in reference to recordings made directly to OP-1 tape.
The TR-8S records effortlessly in that regard.

I still love my Tempest.
I still (mostly) love my Tanzbär 2.
I’m still kicking myself (insert pun) for selling my OG Tanzbär.
Nord Drum 2 is on a different planet.

Sorry to derail the thread.

Cheers!

Nate

2 Likes

almost :slightly_smiling_face:
it‘s really huge, I like smaller boxes. Could be a reason for me to not keep it actually…

The ACB sounds great for sure, but I‘m not sure yet if I really prefer it over good samples.
I‘d be curious to compare it to a mfb drum machine

The sequencer is very immediate and has nice performance tricks and the faders are awesome. That‘s what I like most about it so far

Size matters here (!). It wouldn’t be as playable otherwise (knob per function + decent controllers size), not for 11 tracks.

1 Like

that’s true. It‘s very playable. Just looks bulky

I use it with a 1010music blackbox. Feels like this:

smallbig

2 Likes

It (TR-8S) is just super-playable and jamtastic … any smaller and those brilliant faders would be too fiddly.

3 Likes

haha.
The last three machines I tried before the TR8s where OPz, OP1, and MC101 :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Was just about to order and the Maschine+ is announced. Maybe I can get the flexibility of ACB with the instruments in Maschine? Apart from faders any other advantages with the TR-8s?

It’s half the price, if that matters. I think the MC707 is a more apt comparison.