Roland TR-8S

Cheers

Amen :pray:t2:

2 Likes

Yes, and there is a global option in the UTILITY menu to switch between stereo or 2x mono for the inputs.

There is no option at kit level and in mono mode you canā€™t have different settings for pan, fx sends, etc. for the two inputs, those settings are shared. But they donā€™t get panned hard L/R as they do in stereo mode.

2 Likes

Ah dammit I missed that! Thanks for clarification. That Utility menu is deeper than you think!

1 Like

The longer of the two manuals (available on the Roland site) is pretty good (unusual for an Aira product) and lays out all the functions and parameters. Worth a read.

I just discovered this, apologies if it is well known, I didnā€™t find any posts about it in the search.

So, the TR-8S dedicated trigger out is pretty cool right? Butā€¦ you cannot set the last step for the dedicted trigger out sequencer lane to anything other 16. I was scratching my head over this weirdness for a bit.

Shame Roland didnt provide a way to set last step for the dedicated trigger out lane, but hey, the machine has so many outputs and options, I dont think its a big deal.

Good news is, any track on the TR-8S can be assigned as a trigger out. So I use HT as a trigger out, now I can set last step 6 or whatever.

Anyway I hope that info is useful.

3 Likes

I just gripped one and its really sick.

does anyone here know if there is a way to delete all the patterns and associated kits in one go?

Yes.
https://golab-kits-for-tr-8s.bandcamp.com/album/default-backup-for-tr-8s

2 Likes

does using this remove all the factory kits?

Yes, I guess.
Itā€™s the fastest way to get a very, very blank tr-8s.
If you do a factory reset after that you get all those kits back if you want that.
If you already designed important kits you need to wipe the pattern, and assing a blank kit to it.
You can backup your stuff, but I donā€™t know if you can combine it with files/folder kung-fu.

1 Like

thanks so much

you are welcome!
i think itā€™s fun to make own kits.
i found this helpful if you are beginning with it: https://www.emusician.com/how-to/master-class-roland-tr-8s

2 Likes

definitely is. i just got mine last night and built a couple of kits using the factory sounds. i mostly bought this to have all the classic roland drums housed in one unit, the added sample and performance features were a huge plus. its been really fun so far. stoked to add some of my own samples and see how the unit ā€œcolorsā€ them compared to the MD and AR.

1 Like

Wow. Didnā€™t fully comprehend the depth of available options. Two parts excited, one part intimidated! Will need to spend time to get the full value of this deal.

Appreciate the link!

2 Likes

the manual is classic roland so its not super helpful. sunshine jones where you at?

that article is really good and iā€™ve been watching a bunch of YouTube tutorials that were super helpful. i felt pretty comfortable using it straight away after watching them a bunch. its more intuitive that you think once you get going. its still very different if your super used to elektron boxes.

does anyone have any advice for sample names? ideally iā€™d like them to end up grouped with their respective instrument i.e. kicks with the BD, snares with SD, etc.

Im starting pretty fresh and donā€™t wanna get too deep and have a mess on my hands later.

I usually do BD_ SD_ CH_ OH_ SK_ (Shaker) etc. for all of my samples. I having coding that I follow for my synth patches as well. It does help for organizing things. Itā€™s really whatever works for you :).

Itā€™s a badass machine for sure! Iā€™ve had mine for a year and still uncovering things. Recently left my live setup at my partnerā€™s for rehearsal and jammed with only the SH01A and the TR8S. I havenā€™t been so productive in a long time and I picked up a few more tricks on the TR8S!

1 Like

When I prepare kits (for whatever sampling player)ā€¦
I do:
kitname_bd
kitname_sd
kitname_cc
kitname_oh
kitname_ etc. etc.

why does it jump to the second pattern in a chain when you link them together? for example: Im in Group A and Pattern 7 is playing then I go and string Patterns 1 thru 3 together after that but for some reason it starts on Pattern 2 instead of Pattern 1 plays them in this order: Pattern 2, 3, 1.

am i missing something?

Just pulled my TR-8 out of storage. I forgot how much I liked it.

I got rid of the green early on (and accidentally some of the screen printing)

It made me think I should think about upgrading to the TR-8s some day but Iā€™m not sure it adds much that I need.

I tend to sequence and automate it from OT, DT, or Ableton Live. Assignable outs letā€™s me apply external fx to a couple of sounds if I need. Is there much Iā€™m missing? I have the 7x7 expansion as well.

3 Likes